Red callipers re-paint?

Freddie

Hi all,

I have just picked up my new Speed Yellow S, (which is ace) and would like to get the callipers looking tidy, here are 2 pics of them in an unflattering shade of mottled flaky pink. 

I am looking for folks views as to whether I should:

a - light sand and couple of coats of clear laquer (UHT obvs)

b - just sand the buggers and re-paint with a couple of coats of red, couple of clear coats then new stickers.

I have read up on folks doing different things on here, I thought pics might help show what I'm on about.

https://ibb.co/Qdjw4qH
https://ibb.co/yWCbJrT

https://imgur.com/a/y3a7y7e

Not sure if the above links show up?

Thank you in advance!

17 minutes ago, Tynesider said:

I would go for option b as well, did mine last year they still look great,

This is what I used

DSC_0383.JPG.f5b188ef7dba8e625aba224f20c1826b.JPG

And heres the result

IMG_3647.JPG.047cfe4cce97e3fcc29be2fa7cca2179.JPG

Thanks, that looks really great! How many coats etc did you do?

Option B

I did mine a few years back, get high temp paint, Halfords do a good range, re the stickers, apply to finished paint, then do a couple of layers of clear lacquer, stickers will fair much better

I’m also looking to refurb my calipers, assume there are 2 ways:

1 remove calipers and do the whole sanding, base coat, stickers and laquer

2 use a brush on caliper paint in situ, with some good masking, then stickers 

Anyone tried the latter with good results?

13 hours ago, Freddie said:

Thanks, that looks really great! How many coats etc did you do?

Hi

I did a couple of coats of Etch primer first after cleaning up the callipers then I think I did 5 or possibly more coats very light coats. My callipers were silver to begin with. Then used heat resistant lacquer a couple of coats and put on new decals and put a couple of lacquer coats over that.

If you want to go a bit further on the paint front, you can buy just the paint and all the necessary primers, cleaners, hardeners from:

https://www.bcs-automotive.co.uk/professional-brake-caliper-painting-kits/

This is match to OE Porsche colour and what they use when they do their full refurbishment at £350 per pair of callipers. I have the kit and was going to do it at Easter but found a broken front spring and now an alternator failure I have not been able to do it yet to report on final quality. 

'Porsche' calliper vinyl text stickers are available from several sources on line, check the size you need first....

5 hours ago, Freddie said:

I am really tempted to go yellow, any thoughts folks?

I thought yellow brake calipers were only used on cars with carbon ceramic brakes?  In which case, you risk other Porsche owners pointing at you and laughing....  (only kidding, nobody gives a t*ss about that sort of thing, obviously) :lol:

1 minute ago, Davey P said:

I thought yellow brake calipers were only used on cars with carbon ceramic brakes?  In which case, you risk other Porsche owners pointing at you and laughing....  (only kidding, nobody gives a t*ss about that sort of thing, obviously) :lol:

Ha ha, I forgot about that! 

6 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Ha ha, I forgot about that! 

If you want them yellow, just do it mate.  Everything looks better when painted yellow, that's a well known fact :lol:

40 minutes ago, Davey P said:

In Boxster country anyway probably true, elsewhere in Porscheland, not so sure 🤔

4 minutes ago, minimoog said:

Needs a spray gun, compressor, and a clue how to use them though, no?

Can be sprayed but is also brushable, which I'll be doing.  The instructions supplied are brief but clear -  thin application twice rather than try to coat once, but only 2 coats. When I do it I'll be taking the callipers off for a strip and sand blast to prep them so painting should be easier than on the vehicle.

9 minutes ago, minimoog said:

Needs a spray gun, compressor, and a clue how to use them though, no?

Ah, i'll need rattle cans, I did think about brush on but I think a little extra effort with masking and whatnot is probably worth doing, thanks though mate

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

Can be sprayed but is also brushable, which I'll be doing.  The instructions supplied are brief but clear -  thin application twice rather than try to coat once, but only 2 coats. When I do it I'll be taking the callipers off for a strip and sand blast to prep them so painting should be easier than on the vehicle.

Hope it goes on well, post some pics if you can, be great to see before and afters

1 minute ago, Freddie said:

Hope it goes on well, post some pics if you can, be great to see before and afters

I will do, but it is going to be a little while as I'm currently replacing the alternator which has just let me down after having done the front springs and bump stops after finding a broken spring as I went to start this project back at Easter....  May not even be until winter as work is picking up again.

I know how that one goes! You do what you can eh, tackle one thing at a time.👍

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I will do, but it is going to be a little while as I'm currently replacing the alternator which has just let me down after having done the front springs and bump stops after finding a broken spring as I went to start this project back at Easter....  May not even be until winter as work is picking up again.

11 hours ago, Freddie said:

Just ordered calliper decals here for 4.99 + postage, set of 4, decent price I thought, BCS want £17.50 for two! Hope this helps others 

Yep, I though BCS was very expensive even if they use some super duper heat resistant vinyl.

On 6/8/2020 at 10:09 AM, Freddie said:

Cool, will likely do that ½cwt, am looking at the yellow in fact, since it's a yellow car, I am usually into things being original but I am really tempted to go yellow, any thoughts folks?

LEDsiderepeter001.jpg

Porscherearendphoto.jpg

you can just make out what yellow looks like on black wheel on the second photo.

I think it's the best colour for a Yellow car.

Guvs

Archived