Sticky (radio) Knobs

beaks

I couldn't find a clearer thread title I'm afraid...

Anyway - I'm building up a job list of my 3.2 collected on Sunday... and one thing is, quite literally sticky radio knobs.

I believe it's the 'CDR24' and the knobs are the volume and track selection jokers.

Hard to explain any better than that - has anyone experienced the same thing, and if so what did you do?

Many thanks,

Ian B

Yep, all been there if you've got a 2005/2006 car. Easy enough to remedy. Think I used soap and water, maybe some alcohol. 

Next thing you'll want is to refresh the peeling climate control buttons. In which case look for @jnwright71's thread. Again easily (and cheaply) solved with his decals and some paint.

Have fun!

29 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Yep, all been there if you've got a 2005/2006 car. Easy enough to remedy. Think I used soap and water, maybe some alcohol. 

Next thing you'll want is to refresh the peeling climate control buttons. In which case look for @jnwright71's thread. Again easily (and cheaply) solved with his decals and some paint.

Have fun!

thanks chap - do you simply pull them off to do the job?

amazingly climate controls aren't too bad...

i've convinced myself the bulbs don't seem very bright in the display for the climate or the radio - paranoia maybe.

hasn't moved from the garage since I put it in there on Sunday!

thanks to @minimoog and @Lonewolfgjp too

cheers,

ian b

Just now, Lonewolfgjp said:

Yes they simply pull off and it is easy sticky job but once they are done they don’t do it again.

I just used fairy liquid in hot/warm water, I didn’t need to use any chemicals.

Job for tonight then!

Thanks again - having a forum like this is invaluable.

So glad I took the plunge and joined the Stuttgart family.

7 minutes ago, mark-yorkshire said:

The CDR24 knobs pull straight off. I just used Mr Muscle cleaner and a toothbrush. Easiest fix ever.

if only all jobs were that easy huh !

quite funny my first job with the 987 is cleaning a volume knob...

ian b

33 minutes ago, Robster66 said:

Worth a visit to your OPC they are only a tenner each!

are you sure bud? I've seen them on eBay and the like for nose bleed money...!?

27 minutes ago, beaks said:

are you sure bud? I've seen them on eBay and the like for nose bleed money...!?

Alot of eBay prices include Porsche tax because the sellers know alot of people assume the OPC will be expensive and price accordingly. Always worth checking OPC price. 10% discount for PCGB members too and sometimes they don't charge postage either. 

1 minute ago, red rocket said:

Alot of eBay prices include Porsche tax because the sellers know alot of people assume the OPC will be expensive and price accordingly. Always worth checking OPC price. 10% discount for PCGB members too and sometimes they don't charge postage either. 

ah got you - I'll give one of them a call later. 

love the 'Porsche Tax' analogy, it's similar to when I used to work in Motorsport !

is PCGB worth looking at?

46 minutes ago, beaks said:

is PCGB worth looking at?

Ah, that's a can of worms! Depends to some extent where you are and what the local region is like. I have had good experiences in R26 Dorset since joining 3 years ago and am now on the committee.  Can honestly say nobody here cares what sort of car you have or what condition it's in - it's a Porsche. Others, sadly, have not fared so well in other regions, finding it a bit cliquey and elitist. Personally I think it's like any regional organisation and likely to vary. Worth giving it a try though.

Just now, red rocket said:

Ah, that's a can of worms! Depends to some extent where you are and what the local region is like. I have had good experiences in R26 Dorset since joining 3 years ago and am now on the committee.  Can honestly say nobody here cares what sort of car you have or what condition it's in - it's a Porsche. Others, sadly, have not fared so well in other regions, finding it a bit cliquey and elitist. Personally I think it's like any regional organisation and likely to vary. Worth giving it a try though.

yup that's what I'm anxious about. I want to enjoy my car but do appreciate i'm only a starter to this game.

i've got a very, very warm feeling from this forum so think I'll just stay here for now!

oh, and top tip on the knobs @Robster66 - just in the process of ordering some from Porsche Cambridge. They got back to my email super quick, really impressed so far.

after years of enduring Peugeot dealers, this is refreshing!

ian b

5 hours ago, Cslwannabe said:

Congrats on the car beaks - do you mind sharing how much they cost please? Tried mine with IPA a couple of years ago and didn’t make a massive difference so might just replace them.  Thanks in advance.

thanks pal.

pretty much a tenner each.

can give you part numbers if you want but they got mine via VIN and reg number.

PCGB membership would have taken 10% off those....

Worth the membership fee for that and the fact my local OPC does twice a year free health checks.  15 mins up on the ramp worth a Porsche tech and they invite you into the workshop to have a look and ask questions and poke about.  

Like all clubs largely you get out what you put in. Our local region try hard and it’s ok for a few social meets and drives out. Not found any elitism at regional level and met some interesting people. 

few other club perks (discounts and preferred insurers etc) 

the “national”/management of the club do however come  across as having a gearstick stuck where you wouldn’t want it a lot of the time. Their emails and faux formality wouldn’t be out of place in a government department or a snooty gold club, ignore them and their pomposity and it’s OK for 80 quid a year.  

33 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Even better for the actual £70 for newbies and £55 for renewals! ;)

If we are at home to "Captain Pedantic" then my renewal (paid in June) was £60. Perhaps I got charged an extra fiver because I told them I thought they were pompous.

:)

10 minutes ago, Paul P said:

If we are at home to "Captain Pedantic" then my renewal (paid in June) was £60. Perhaps I got charged an extra fiver because I told them I thought they were pompous.

:)

Probably! :laugh:

1 hour ago, beaks said:

thanks pal.

pretty much a tenner each.

can give you part numbers if you want but they got mine via VIN and reg number.

Thanks.  Will have one more go at cleaning them up, failing that will order some new ones.

Archived