Squeaky rear end!!

Remodot

I am sometimes getting a squeak from the rear when going over bumpy roads, no knocking just  squeaks. It isn’t loud and really only noticeable when roof is down, car sailed though mot 6 weeks ago and only covered around 250 miles Since mot - any ideas?

7 hours ago, dim33 said:

Is it worse when the weather is hot?

I haven’t noticed, however I only tend to use the car in good weather. Plus I live in Dundee, we don’t tend to get hot weather!,

9 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Squeak or creak? 

Good question I need to go for a drive tomorrow to see if I can identify which it is.

50 minutes ago, Remodot said:

Good question I need to go for a drive tomorrow to see if I can identify which it is.

I would go for bottom wishbone ball joint if a creak is replacement wishbone, spray some lube on individual joints and take for a run each time and see which one goes quiet albeit for a bit.

The problem I have had with mine is that the wishbone ball joints dry out and then make a noise. This is made worse in the hot weather as the little remaining grease solidifies. I had the ball joints checked and there was no play or anything unsafe.

A trick that an indy showed me (and is widely reported in the forums) is to inject some oil or grease into the ball joint using a syringe.

I was not able to do this with grease as it would not flow through the needle, but I managed to inject some oil. I then smeared a little black sealant over where the syringe went in for good measure. I did this early last year and the squeaking has not returned so far.

On 7/30/2020 at 10:14 AM, dim33 said:

The problem I have had with mine is that the wishbone ball joints dry out and then make a noise. This is made worse in the hot weather as the little remaining grease solidifies. I had the ball joints checked and there was no play or anything unsafe.

A trick that an indy showed me (and is widely reported in the forums) is to inject some oil or grease into the ball joint using a syringe.

I was not able to do this with grease as it would not flow through the needle, but I managed to inject some oil. I then smeared a little black sealant over where the syringe went in for good measure. I did this early last year and the squeaking has not returned so far.

Good 'bush' fix!

Archived