Boxster 981 Drain holes

Ringmaster999

So having come from a 987 Boxster to a 981 I still have concerns around blocked drain holes. On the 987 it was a simple task to check for blockages with a trombone cleaner. Pushed down until it exited out the bottom.

Now I tried this task on the 981 and no joy. Why. It appears the rear holes don’t go straight down but instead the drain tube has a bend in it towards the front of the car. Now Test Drive Scotland have a video on YouTube that shows water exiting both rear and front when water is poured into the rear holes to check for blockages ( when car is on level).

So does anyone know How many drain holes there are and where are they located and how are people checking them and keeping them clear?

Cheers

As far as I can ascertain, there are just the two top drains on the 981 and they drain to four locations (two either side - front and rear as per Daz's video).

All I did on mine was check that all four drains were clear by pouring an increasing amount of water and making sure there was no water ingress to the interior.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/981bs-water-leak-in-seatbelt-holder-area.115086/#/topics/115086?page=1&_k=atk4jt

Edited by RickLS7
  • Thanks 2

You pour water in the locations I demo( one per side) and water should come out in both spots if they don't you have a blockage which you need to attend to asap. Suggest compressed air and a flexible line go get past the bend. 👍

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Out of interest & when the car is parked up, where does any water go that runs off the windscreen down around the wipers?

I could just go outside with a watering can I guess and find out...

I guess it drains around the front behind the wheel like on other cars. I won't need to bother with a watering can I'll just park outside. Seems to be wetter than normal this year.

On 8/5/2020 at 8:12 AM, daz05 said:

I guess it drains around the front behind the wheel like on other cars. I won't need to bother with a watering can I'll just park outside. Seems to be wetter than normal this year.

Thx Daz.  

Whilst I've not heard of front drains blocking, I'm conscious to understand the irrigation system.  Car sits with the Cabrioshield tonneau cover on which prevents anything going down the hood drains, so they're covered..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So following a discussion with a fellow member of PCGB the only drain holes on the 981 are the two rear holes. Looking at the video made by Daz the water seen exiting to the front of the car when pouring water into these rear drain holes when the car is on a level surface has run along the sills after exiting the rear drain holes. 
As the link above shows the rear drain tubes bend towards the side intake ducks so the trombone cleaner trick I use to use on the 987 doesn’t work. 
So I plan to just regularly check for blockages by pouring water into the holes and checking the water runs out. 
Stay Safe everyone and keep checking those holes 👍

11 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

So following a discussion with a fellow member of PCGB the only drain holes on the 981 are the two rear holes. Looking at the video made by Daz the water seen exiting to the front of the car when pouring water into these rear drain holes when the car is on a level surface has run along the sills after exiting the rear drain holes. 
As the link above shows the rear drain tubes bend towards the side intake ducks so the trombone cleaner trick I use to use on the 987 doesn’t work. 
So I plan to just regularly check for blockages by pouring water into the holes and checking the water runs out. 
Stay Safe everyone and keep checking those holes 👍

Your username and last line above 🤣

• Haha 3

As Daz suggests blowing compressed air through is possibly the best option. I use a large 2 litre pump connected via gaffa tape to a length of 5mm dia plastic tube from B&Q.

When I had a blockage, a good few blasts down each drain hole and all manner of gunk came out of the exit holes 😃.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for resurrecting an old post.

Thanks for the video Daz, I was watching to learn about the drains but followed your guide on testing the alarm siren and to my surprise mine is also faulty. I haven't spotted many forum comments about that. Is it a known problem?

3 hours ago, tcs17_tim said:

Apologies for resurrecting an old post.

Thanks for the video Daz, I was watching to learn about the drains but followed your guide on testing the alarm siren and to my surprise mine is also faulty. I haven't spotted many forum comments about that. Is it a known problem?

The alarm siren will last about 6 years and will then fail either because of the battery weakening or just deciding to melting it's own internals.

You'll either be none the wiser that it's failed or the alarm will go off randomly if the battery loses voltage.

The rears drain into the side skirts and will clog with debris, ask me how I know....

Side skirts off to clean them fully, or as I have remove the filters that block.

On 7/4/2022 at 8:33 AM, Patt said:

The rears drain into the side skirts and will clog with debris, ask me how I know....

Side skirts off to clean them fully, or as I have remove the filters that block.

Any pics or tips re that process ? Thanks

Sorry I've still not sorted another free account to share pictures, however:

Fixing screws are quite obvious for the side skirt, as are the intake vents that just pull out (IIRC)

When refitting the skirts open the door and start at the front having the skirts at about 45 deg to the car.

There are some pictures of the offending items on T24RES thread in members ride.  He cleaned his and refitted, I removed them totally.

Not had any issues since and that was a year ago.

The issues are the classic Porsche kind, to start I lost parking sensors, then electric handbrake was reporting errors.  Then the electric steering was cutting in and out before the dashboard shut down.

Luckily the ECUs are easy to get to (they even put perforations in the carpet so you can cut and lift ) mine dried out with no issues and the carpet eventually dried with the aid of a dehumidifier but it took days.

cr*p design as once the sill fills up with water it's first drain is a hole above the ECU's under the passenger seat !

• Thanks 1