Apologies in advance... Tyres

Lennym1984

Hi,

The rear tyres on my Cayman need replacing and initially I was planning to swap them like for like with new Bridgestone Potenza RE050a (N rated but I don't really care about that)

Having done a bit of research it seems as though the RE050a have now been superceded by the S001 (non-n rated).

So...

Has anybody swapped to S001s on the rear axle whilst keeping the RE050a on the front axle? If so, any issues or weird handling traits?

S001s are rated pretty poor in every tyre test I’ve seen them in.  I’ve had 2 golf Rs which left the factory with them fitted - they weren’t as bad as I was expecting although apparently the mk7 R was developed using them.  Once half worn the grip was poor under braking in the wet - traction under power still seemed ok but then again R is 4wd when required.  Wear rate was ok.

i know none of that answers your question however!

I don't think Bridgestones are exactly "cutting corners" but I get the sentiment.

I have PS2s on my track wheels so perhaps I'll use these on my car and stick a set of Nankang NS2Rs all round on the other wheels (they are supposed to be awesome...in the dry)

Goodyear Eagle F1’s are pretty good in my opinion.

Have run Bridgestone, Michelin PS2’s & current on Goodyear’s. Not noticed any difference in terms of grip / wear between the Michelin’s & the Goodyear’s but the latter usually are a lot cheaper.

Not fussed on Bridgestones, they didn’t seem to last long & started cracking early on.

Very happy with the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2s I fitted 1500 miles ago.  Have used GY Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 in the past too.

Got to at top end seems Michelin, Conti and Pirelli also do N spec rubber but at an even higher price but never seem to get quite as good a review as Michelin.  The next level down is the Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone territory which will save around £80-100 per car set.  Unless you are able to fully exploit the performance of your tyres and will wear them out before they are too old probably worth throwing the max budget at it.  But for still very good round and black things to keep you out of a hedge at that slightly dodgy moment, any of the brands above would suffice.  If your doing say 1500 miles a year they will go hard before they wear out so you won't get full wear life out of any of them.

12 hours ago, thanatoid said:

You have Michies on a Leaf?  🙂

Ha no crappy Goodyear Efficients which are not very good on the Leaf, not much traction when you pull from a standing start on a junction. Thinking of changing to Michelin Crossclimates though, set of 4 for the price of 2 rear tyres on the Porsche. 

A mate got his Tesla Model 3 Performance in the week, amazing car and it is interesting that is wears 20" PS4S's, great car but not sure for around town use it is better than a Leaf worth £10k.

Archived