Bleedin Typical

Tynesider

So new headlamp led bulbs turned up a couple of weeks ago, so tonight decided to put them in. So unwrap the tool roll (first time used it) and guess what, one pocket is empty and no headlight removal tool arrgh and my sockets are too fat to go in the hole, so typical non starter of a job!  Anyone got a spare headlight tool they might like to part with?

☹️

@Tynesider You just need a 5mm socket and an extension bar (120mm+ IIRC) with a right angle handle on the end to pop the lights in and out. The headlight tool is as soft as cheese and breaks easily, perhaps designed that way to stop the hamfisted from damaging the headlight fitting. The 5mm socket will also remove your bonnet badge if needs be.

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

@Tynesider You just need a 5mm socket and an extension bar (120mm+ IIRC) with a right angle handle on the end to pop the lights in and out. The headlight tool is as soft as cheese and breaks easily, perhaps designed that way to stop the hamfisted from damaging the headlight fitting. The 5mm socket will also remove your bonnet badge if needs be.

I only keep my original one in the tool kit to keep it complete.  Made of soft cheese.  I use a 5mm deep socket on 75mm extension to get similar effect to @Topbox's solution.  It needs a pretty firm twist to pop out and to click back in even on a ¼" ratchet handle, so not really surprised a flimsy pressed steel sleeve fails so easily.

1 hour ago, K.I.T.T. said:

The removal tool is available for circa £20 at your friendly OPC.

It certainly isn't worth £20, not even £2, unless you absolutely have to have the complete set of Porsche tools.

Don't disagree with you @½cwt, although handy to have one in your toolkit, in case you need to replace a bulb in the field.

Notice D911 have it for £13 + vodka and tonic. Perhaps cheaper elsewhere (including OPC)?

10 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Don't disagree with you @½cwt, although handy to have one in your toolkit, in case you need to replace a bulb in the field.

Notice D911 have it for £13 + vodka and tonic. Perhaps cheaper elsewhere (including OPC)?

This young man is very handy around the 986s. Plenty of short cuts to keep your bills under the radar. But if you are willing to Stump up that kind of money for a Porsche part, it’s all good, right? 

Archived