Cat D car??

Jord

Hi guys,

I just wondered if anyone is rocking a Cat D car? There was one on eBay that was shocking as a Cat D, the seller was adamant it wasn’t and has now changed the advert to say it is a Cat D. I did a HPI check to make sure.

so I made me think, it’s high mileage at 155k but has been used loads over the past few years given the mileage from Mots and the last not was a pass with no advisory’s. Made me think, i wonder if many have a Cat D car?

On a 20 year old car a Cat D is almost inevitable even in the most minor of accidents, what matters is how well it’s been repaired. Need to have a really good look around the whole car in good light in the dry to spot any dodgy filler or paint imperfections.

17 minutes ago, Jord said:

Yeah it looks like it could be good value for money.

Yes, it was a bargain. 

Bear in mind that most 986's will get written off for very little damage, plus any that have been repaired over the years by insurance companies will still show as HPi clear. 

All depends on what the damage was, and how well the repair has been done on the car. 

I've seen some not so good insurance work over the years, so any car weather HPi or not will need checking carefully. 

Just now, PaulQ said:

Yes, it was a bargain. 

Bear in mind that most 986's will get written off for very little damage, plus any that have been repaired over the years by insurance companies will still show as HPi clear. 

All depends on what the damage was how well the repair has been done on the car. 

I've seen some not so good insurance work over the years, so any car weather HPi or not will need checking carefully. 

Yeah, I think it’s worth a closer look to see if the damage is visible. The seller says the cat was given over a decade ago. 

it’s 90 miles away so might be worth a look for sure 

4 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

It's worth considering. Those who won't buy it are chasing too perfect a car

Yeah I’m ok with a project but I’d like something that at least useable from the off. 

I’ll see if I can convince the wife I’m allowed to go view it. If I can I’ll report back.

Hi

My car is a CAT D from 2007, the PO had it 10 years and said it was roof related, and maybe that is true, but It has had a knock on the rear quarter low down at some point. In fact he said he had reversed it into a low post. In any case it only caused superficial damage, although there is some minorly bent metalwork under the bumper.

I did look at another CAT D which was a total red flag though. Lovely car, but apart from the massive overspray on the rear suspension you could see the ripples in the door jamb.

CAT D is no prob as long as you know what the damage is.

Best of luck

Berni

6 hours ago, PaulQ said:

A cat car on 155k isn't going to be worth much

Don't know about that.

That chap who tarts cars up with Bilt Hamber snowfoam managed to get someone to cough up £6.5k for a cat D car with 125k miles and zero service history.

My view is that the more recent the damage on a 986 Cat D the better. 2007 Cat D damage on a 2004 car could have been £15k+ worth of repairs whereas to make a 2004 a Cat D now (especially with 125k+ miles) could be as little as £2-2.5k worth of damage (including car hire etc etc). That could be one panel repair at an insurance approved garage. So if I ever was to consider a Cat D car I'd be looking for one that was damaged as recently as possible!

23 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Don't know about that.

That chap who tarts cars up with Bilt Hamber snowfoam managed to get someone to cough up £6.5k for a cat D car with 125k miles and zero service history.

Yes, I'm well aware of said car. 

Archived