Head unit problem

Ian123

I have the original head unit in my 987.2 (Bluetooth no sat nav) and occasionally when I start the car the head unit displays correctly but with no sound. CD or radio it makes no difference. Usually if I turn off the ignition and restart the car the sound works. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

I had a similar problem in mine (987.1), decided to pay Halfords to install a new one. After 3 hours they found they had the wrong adapter so put it back together and it was working fine!

Can only assume a connector had come loose. That was 3 years ago and it’s still fine.

2 hours ago, Ian123 said:

I have the original head unit in my 987.2 (Bluetooth no sat nav) and occasionally when I start the car the head unit displays correctly but with no sound. CD or radio it makes no difference. Usually if I turn off the ignition and restart the car the sound works. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

• Almost sounds (no pun) like something isn’t initialising properly if you can restart the audio by restarting the ignition sequence. 
    Regular , ASK or BOSE audio in the car ?

48 minutes ago, Ian123 said:

Removed the head unit disconnected it everything looks good. Still the same works when it wants too. 

No amp in the trunk 🤔

Historical thread with others discussing same issue 

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/no-sound-from-the-audio-system.73093/

Other members have used these guys (no affiliation) https://www.pcmrepairs.co.uk (Radios as well as PCM) wonder if it's worth your having a chat with them to see if they have come across the issue. 

So I tried the link from Planet-9 forum without success. It was suggested to me to just pull the fuse for a couple of hours but I’m unable to locate it in the booklet for fuses. 

Think it’s going to be a call to pmcrepairs on Monday for advice. I really don’t want to replace the head unit. 

19 minutes ago, Ian123 said:

So I tried the link from Planet-9 forum without success. It was suggested to me to just pull the fuse for a couple of hours but I’m unable to locate it in the booklet for fuses. 

Think it’s going to be a call to pmcrepairs on Monday for advice. I really don’t want to replace the head unit. 

I will have a CDR30 that I might sell. I'm wondering whether I should keep it to reinstate when I eventually sell the car, or just sell it now to recoup some money. It's a mint non Bose stereo (no sat-nav) for a 987.2. 

Called PCM Repairs and they were very helpful. I’m removing the unit tomorrow and dispatching it to them for diagnostic’s. 

They say they’ll turn it round in a day. 

Here’s hoping. 

13 minutes ago, Ian123 said:

Called PCM Repairs and they were very helpful. I’m removing the unit tomorrow and dispatching it to them for diagnostic’s. 

They say they’ll turn it round in a day. 

Here’s hoping. 

Did they share any possible pointers as to root cause ?

Just spoken with pcmrepairs and after rigorous testing they are happy to say no fault found. 
They are returning the unit today so as soon as I have it back I’ll re-install it and go from there. 

19 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

@Mattman42had a power supply problem, his wouldn't start up.  Sounds like different symptoms.

Mine was a ‘rare’ internal power supply failure according to the Cartronics team. Cost a lot to repair but I wanted to stay OEM.

they are good though, so hopefully it was just a short/ dodgy connector that has been fixed with all the movement

Update.

Unit arrived back well packed, I connected it up and tried it before fully installing it. Worked fine. Inserted the key and yes it came on. I fitted the unit back in place. It worked fine. Locked the car, unlocked the car inserted the key and you’ve guessed it, no sound!!!! After several attempts sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. 

I even changed key and switched round the way I inserted it. The issue persists. 

I can’t even say it’s time for a new head unit because I’m not sure that’s the problem. 

Has it got the sound package plus (that has the Ask amp)  ?  

if so the amp is under the drivers seat.  Worth checking under there for anything lose or the dreaded water ingress from blocked drains ?

I stand corrected, just been out with my torch moved the seat full forward and jacked it up  

There is a unit under the drivers seat. It’s all snuff dry so tomorrow I’ll look at how to get to it.

How did I miss it ???

Update. The amp was the problem. A light tap and sound returned. Sent away for repair, £440 so I asked them to send it back. Purchased a second hand one which turnout to be for Cayman which has a slightly different connection socket. 
re installed the old unit which now works for the time being. 

49 minutes ago, Ian123 said:

Update. The amp was the problem. A light tap and sound returned. Sent away for repair, £440 so I asked them to send it back. Purchased a second hand one which turnout to be for Cayman which has a slightly different connection socket. 
re installed the old unit which now works for the time being. 

Good you found the issue.  Sounds like something that is fixable ( but that quote sounds like a blanket charge rather than Actual cost to fix your problem). 

what’s the part number on the amp ?   Someone on here might have one kicking around or have some suggestions for other sources.  

Archived