Front droplinks done.

Ninesomething

After all the talk about how hard it was I took it to the local garage. Took them 10 mins to do the first one and 15 to do the second just with regulat spanners. Could've done it myself no worries.

Anyway there wasn't any huge amount of play in the old ones so I wasn't expecting anything. It is better though, the low spped rattling has stopped and somehow it seems a tad more surefooted. After a fast bash down a well known lumpy bit of road though I could hear something else. I read somewhere that once the grease gets hot and runny either the track rod ends or the coffin arms can start to rattle. Someone else said inner tie rods and there is a little tiny bit of play in one of them but not enough for an MOT advisory. That means an alignment though so you might as well do all of them yadder yadder.

It's deffo better though for now.

7 hours ago, JonSta said:

After all the talk about how hard it was I took it to the local garage. Took them 10 mins to do the first one and 15 to do the second just with regulat spanners. Could've done it myself no worries.

Anyway there wasn't any huge amount of play in the old ones so I wasn't expecting anything. It is better though, the low spped rattling has stopped and somehow it seems a tad more surefooted. After a fast bash down a well known lumpy bit of road though I could hear something else. I read somewhere that once the grease gets hot and runny either the track rod ends or the coffin arms can start to rattle. Someone else said inner tie rods and there is a little tiny bit of play in one of them but not enough for an MOT advisory. That means an alignment though so you might as well do all of them yadder yadder.

It's deffo better though for now.

Which local garage did you take it to?  If they can do them quick it might just save me from buying an induction coil to add to my tool kit.

For stuff like that that's just spanners I always go to Orbit tyres at Wellingborough. They service my citroen, MOT everything, they have hunter alignment kit and they're good guys. Manager used to have a cayman - I met him in our Subaru days - and they're not the usual ffickos that seem to work in these places. 

That said they didn't have to do anything clever with my drop links - they came off easy as pie. As you might guess from the name they're pretty good pricewise on tyres too.

2 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I guess it just depends on how reluctant they are to come off - I was lucky.

Yes, I was just surprised as they had been done a couple of years earlier, so should have come off easily. 

That's why on my 20 year old 986 I'm considering buying an induction coil for when they need to come out (I know one comes out OK from some recent suspension work I did and the history also showed it was changed 4 or 5 years ago).  I can spend 1 or 2 hours knocking the cr*p out if it to get a link out, why pay someone to do that?  If they use a trick bit of kit, like the aforementioned induction coil, then it is worth paying ½ hour for them to do it.  Could be a good question if you ever go to get a price on suspension work.

Archived