Revolution 981 Exhaust Mod

Madlil

Hi all,

I appreciate there is a long thread on exhaust sounds on the forum but most of this does not cover the 981. I’m thinking of having the Carnewal mod however have just seen this video of what may be a similar thing at Revolution in Leeds. Should be cheaper than Carnewal as there would be no extra Labour cost for swapping out exhausts. 

May give Russ a call but wondered has anyone on here had this done at Revolution? I want a bit more exhaust noise on my 2.7 but do not want any drone so have ruled out PSE as there are reports that it drones on some PDKs (also on cost)  

Thanks

Andrew

PSE does drone slightly on the 981.  Only at very low revs ie if you have it switched on and are obeying the dashboard suggestions to be in 6th or 7th at 40 mph.  Nothing like the cheap Chinese 986 back boxes that drone with anything but acceleration. 

The Carnewall does sound good on the 2.7, however the PSE also includes a re-map for the engine ECU for bonus pops n bangs, plus you can switch it off if your passenger moans too much.  

That said the Revolution 986 was identical to Carnewall and PSE on the 986. In fact better as the 986 worked solely on vacuum pressure, and was not switchable.

The video does sound very similar to a PSE, I'd certainly call them as less agro than fitting a Carnewall and then shipping your system back to them.

28 minutes ago, zagamuffin said:

I’ve an S with PDK and Pse and havnt experienced any drone...

I think 2.7 might be the issue but is sounds like it is hit and miss. I’m going to investigate the Revolution mod and will report back....

thanks all

I believe @villaman has a carnwell or similar mod on his 981, maybe he can add some comments?

What sort of driving do you do? Much motorway? 

PSE drone only tends to be an issue driving at motorway speeds (70-80 mph) and with PDK as this puts the revs in the 2k-2.3k area that seems to be the area that provokes drone.  It depends how sensitive you are to it, some people are some aren’t. Any drone on the PSE in quiet mode is very slight compared to many of the aftermarket options.  

Of course with a modded exhaust you don’t have the benefit of different modes so if it’s too loud it’s always too loud.  However I believe in Villamans case (after a brief chat with him) that at low revs the mod is  barely noticeable but it adds a level of bark at higher revs, you don’t get the crackles and pops to the extent you do with PSE if that’s something you are after (as said above partly due to a remapping of the cpu when PSE installed).

I have had the Carnewal system on my 2.7 for 4 years now. Went over to Gerts for the swap.

No drone. Best of both worlds, quiet when needed but ups the tempo quite a bit when floored. Does the pops and crackles but a bit more subdued in that respect compared to PSE.

6 hours ago, Madlil said:

I’ve read loads of reports on other forums of PSE drone on PDK 981s but it does seem to be a mixed view out there. Cost is also putting me off. £2.5k for PSE OR £500 for a Carnewal style mod....

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/pse-removed.239075/

I do indeed have the Carnewal which bang for buck gives a great sound (certainly better than stock) and if the Revolution is comparable in terms of both cost and sound it certainly an option.

If I'd had the funds so soon after buying the car then I would have gone the whole hog and got the PSE. Not sure if its just the remap that makes it sonically sound so superior to the Carnewal (or anything else ive heard to be honest) . The Carnewal as good as it is is still bastardising the baffles.

As mentioned by @Greenman there is a remap as part of the PSE but i think there is more to it than just the added remap to get those pops, bangs and crackles that you simply do not get with any other mod ive heard.

Interested in this for sure.  That Revolution mod sounds lovely, however so many folks say Carnewal is the business.  With a std exhaust, I need a change for some childish pops and crackles :)

My PSE drones whether on and off and is plain to hear above 30mph. 

Nothing wrong with the exhaust, in fact it was replaced before I bought the car under warranty as one of the valves was seized.  Spurred on by people on here saying their PSE don't drone, I had it checked and was told it was working perfectly and sounded normal.

I can only conclude my hearing must be a lot better than some 981 owners.

oh, forgot to add that I had the carnewal exhaust modification carried out 2 in 2015 when we bought the car and in my opinion I was a bit disappointed in the sound of it and took it off and sold it on after a few weeks.  The guy who bought it was really happy with it so it depends on personal taste 

Not specifically for 981 but have just had the Revolution mod done on my 987.2 with an update in the following post if it helps.

No pops / bangs / crackles really that I have heard so far, but does sound a lot better and I guess for me I knew it was my own low mileage exhaust I'd end up with rather than someone else's old one that is modified and me have to send mine back.

Hopefully will get to make it to a meet not too far away soon and then if anyone with a Carnewal to compare it to, will be able to advise if same / quieter / louder.

Archived