Gecko coilovers from Spyder Performance - any experience?

red rocket

Anyone any experience of these? Looking at refreshing my suspension. Original plan was to go with B4s and some H&R -10mm springs but came across these coilovers whilst browsing other parts from Spyder Performance/Eporsch. Don't really need the adjustability but they work out cheaper than buying shocks, springs, top mounts etc etc. I may have a chat with Eporsch but any advance feedback would be helpful.

There are various budget coilovers many rebranded ones from the same OEM I bet. Yellowspeed, BC, Designtek etc.

11 hours ago, edc said:

There are various budget coilovers many rebranded ones from the same OEM I bet. Yellowspeed, BC, Designtek etc.

Thought so. I was doing a bit of research yesterday evening and came across a number which looked remarkably similar and a video which suggested some of the parts were most likely produced by Tein which appears to have a decent reputation. At least with these i can talk to Eporsch and get more info specifically related to use on Boxsters.

After having had various coilovers from budget to really quite expensive my first question would be are they rebuildable my second question would be who by my third question would be how much does that cost and my fourth would be how long before they need it. Seems coilover don't last nearly as long as OEM and they're always a faff to rebuild.

Then again if it's a low mileage car probably not an issue. They guy in the above post certainly seemed to like them. Tien are among the better ones I think until you start to get to Ohlins etc.

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

After having had various coilovers from budget to really quite expensive my first question would be are they rebuildable my second question would be who by my third question would be how much does that cost and my fourth would be how long before they need it. Seems coilover don't last nearly as long as OEM and they're always a faff to rebuild.

Then again if it's a low mileage car probably not an issue. They guy in the above post certainly seemed to like them. Tien are among the better ones I think until you start to get to Ohlins etc.

All good points. After further consideration I've decided it would be safer to stick with a standard set up, especially as I don't need any of the additional flexibility/performance that a coilover set up might offer.

If cost is a factor, and you are not aiming for stock anyway if you are looking at coil overs, try KONI Special Active rather than Bilstein B4s, seem to be a good price (about -20%) on Autodoc even if delivery isn't so quick.  This is the route I took and I've just awaiting delivery before fitting (along wit 4 coffin arms and 2 tuning forks) in the next few weeks but on standard not -10mm springs.

36 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If cost is a factor, and you are not aiming for stock anyway if you are looking at coil overs, try KONI Special Active rather than Bilstein B4s, seem to be a good price (about -20%) on Autodoc even if delivery isn't so quick.  This is the route I took and I've just awaiting delivery before fitting (along wit 4 coffin arms and 2 tuning forks) in the next few weeks but on standard not -10mm springs.

As far as I am aware, they still don't do them for the 987. They were supposed to be released last year but it never seemed to come to fruition (I was looking for these before going with Bilstein B8).

53 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

As far as I am aware, they still don't do them for the 987. They were supposed to be released last year but it never seemed to come to fruition (I was looking for these before going with Bilstein B8).

Quite right, they only offer the Sport option for the 987 which are B8, or thereabouts, equivalents.

http://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Products/Catalog/ 

Archived