2.5 basr model

Chukkieegg

OK my good old 98boxster has been in for new oil and filter and gearbox oil today and pre mot check

Its going to need new front springs don't want to lower it or anything love it as it is my question what or where do I go to find out if it has m030 suspension fitted as can't see anything on logbook or service book

If it helps its a 98 base 986

Thanks in advance

Under the bonnet - assuming it's the original - there's a factory sticker - assuming it hasn't been damaged/peeled off - and that will give you a list of the options your car was built with at the factory.  If you don't find the M030 code in amongst that lot then I'm pretty sure you're on standard springs for that model and year.

The other place you might find the option codes is on another sticker in one of the handbooks that was delivered with the car original - yes, you guessed it: assuming.....

And standard is 029.  Standard springs should have blue and yellow markings if you can still see them and M030 red and yellow.

Unless you have a broken spring there's not much to gain with just new springs.  But if you are doing it do get new top mounts and give the top bearing a thorough clean and re-grease whilst you have it all apart, and the bump stops could well be perished too if it is all still original.

The list goes on, whilst you are taking it apart, shocks will be tired (Bilstein B4 or Koni Special Active seem to be popular options) and the rubbers in the coffin arms will be tired too.  Hopefully coming tot eh end of this cycle on mine at the moment!

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

And standard is 029.  Standard springs should have blue and yellow markings if you can still see them and M030 red and yellow.

Unless you have a broken spring there's not much to gain with just new springs.  But if you are doing it do get new top mounts and give the top bearing a thorough clean and re-grease whilst you have it all apart, and the bump stops could well be perished too if it is all still original.

Yes defo broken spring seen the broken one tonight when I collected car from garage its top ring of spring on right hand front 

3 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

So just looked under bonnet no sticker I think it's orginal bonnet and can't find anything in any of the books

Take a front wheel off and have a good look for the paint marks, painted as two 15mm or so wide bands on one of the coils.  They were still obvious on my old springs.

ok thanks all have to go back to the garage tomorrow to pay the bill lol

they know me and they were shutting up shop when i went to collect it so i will ask to have a quick check and see if they can see any colour codes

my gut feeling is they are standard asthe only extra i know the car has is the becker radio

OK so pulled out service book again and there is a sticker approx 5cm square in size above it says vehicle identicafication

Line 1 is vin number

Line 2 is designation 986 311

Line 3 is engine code

Line 4 is paint code

Line 5 is optional equipment and has 2 codes c16 946 

Am I right in thinking line is what I need and if so on that basis standard springs? 

21 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

OK so pulled out service book again and there is a sticker approx 5cm square in size above it says vehicle identicafication

Line 1 is vin number

Line 2 is designation 986 311

Line 3 is engine code

Line 4 is paint code

Line 5 is optional equipment and has 2 codes c16 946 

Am I right in thinking line is what I need and if so on that basis standard springs? 

You are looking for a label like this, usually under the bonnet, some times in the service book if you still have it. X74 would represent sports suspension if listed.  The grid of 3 digit numbers that gives all the options fitted which you can look up at https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/ , or get a full look up done by @T911UK and raise some funds for the forum.  

vG7GmZK.jpg  

That sticker is defo not under bonnet so either it peeled off or its a different bonnet the sticker above I mentioned is in service book and option c16 seems to suggest UK car and code946 is leather seats and that's only 2 options listed as optional equipment so on that basis it's a base level base boxster 😂 

If it's not got the 030 code, you'll have standard springs.

Would be inclined to go for these: https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/h-r-spring-kit-981331001

Exchanged a few emails with H&R and established that the standard and "M030" style springs offered at ECP and their sister company were commissioned to H&R and are exclusively available through them. 

In effect they're copies of the original springs in terms of spring rates, length, and other characteristics. Do check with OPC first, but I suspect the above springs will be cheaper, and will work fine for your needs. These are "standard height" springs, so ignore any references to lowered springs.

Genuine springs should be around £240-250 for a pair so only a few £ more than the H&R ones which don't discount using their general discount codes (currently FALL15).  I was lucky and picked up a pair of new original ones from 9apart via eBay for just under £200 back in April so do a thorough search.  Porsche part number is 986 343 531 01. 504 up to 2002 (supersedes to 986 313 531 05.504 from 2003).

Genuine springs are £214.45 a pair inc so nearly twice the price of the H&R pair sold via ECP

ECP do have the M030 set of 4 at about the same price as 2 Porsche ones if you want to go M030

OK so rang nearest porsche dealer which for me is Wolverhampton gave em chassis number and its standard suspension they don't keep in stock and are £178+vat plus delivery so think I wil be going for the h&r ones that were suggested in a reply by @K.I.T.T.

21 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

How do you know someone hasn't retrofitted M030 early on in the cars life.? 

It's unlikely, but not unheard of, so I would do a proper check rather then going on original build details. 

@PaulQ good point and I don't know but totally standard car standard 16"wheels standard exhaust standard airfilter box which had standard airfilter in it when I purchased the car only mods are clear front headlights and side repeaters headlights need restore and have been on a few years orginal exhaust headers were replaced by me this year as they were cracked

Becker head unit in place of cdr22 but have the cdr22 manual

Service history not full of parts it had at porsche specliast and only 4owners before me

When lower front arm was replaced last year was orginal and bolt sheared off had to be drilled out ad new one fitted so suspension hasn't had much work done on it during it life 

So pretty confident it's standard setup

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Genuine springs should be around £240-250 for a pair so only a few £ more than the H&R ones

Please could you elaborate, as I don't quite understand.

From CP4L website:

Description: Standard height front springs (set of 2)
Other Information: Standard height - VM equivalent- Standard replacement Coil springs (set of 2)
Fitting Position: Front

£115.64 for a pair without discount.

@Chukkieegg, FWIW, it may be worth checking with ECP. They do supply genuine Porsche (VM) parts, and I got an OE window regulator from them earlier this year.

When I had my 2.7, I got a pair of genuine front springs for £137, although this was back in 2017.

2 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Please could you elaborate, as I don't quite understand.

From CP4L website:

£115.64 for a pair without discount.

@Chukkieegg, FWIW, it may be worth checking with ECP. They do supply genuine Porsche (VM) parts, and I got an OE window regulator from them earlier this year.

When I had my 2.7, I got a pair of genuine front springs for £137, although this was back in 2017.

Misread it, I didn't identify it as a pair on CP4L. Doh!

On 10/21/2020 at 6:01 PM, map said:

Under the bonnet - assuming it's the original - there's a factory sticker - assuming it hasn't been damaged/peeled off - and that will give you a list of the options your car was built with at the factory.  If you don't find the M030 code in amongst that lot then I'm pretty sure you're on standard springs for that model and year.

The other place you might find the option codes is on another sticker in one of the handbooks that was delivered with the car original - yes, you guessed it: assuming.....

This is spot on, well said @map

Archived