Anyone in S Wales, reset electronic parking brake

Kev73

4 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

It was a right pain in the ar$e when I had to sort mine out.  After fiiting a new actuator, and adjusting, it needed grinding and calibrating (both processes done with a PIWIS3) before the codes could be deleted.

Looks like a trip to a Porsche dealership then. ☹️

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Looks like a trip to a Porsche dealership then. ☹️

I did it myself, but a good indy should be able to do it.  All I was really saying is that you can try just clearing the codes with something like Durametric, but my experience was that I had to go through the complete setup procedure before the fault codes would clear permanently.  Clearing the faults only lasted a day or so before they came back.

The worst part of the process is grinding the shoes, and it is best done on a closed road.  It involves 8 stop and start runs,  where the computer applies the handbrake while you are driving (slowly).  You also have to have the hazard warning lights on all the time, or the routine won't run.

5 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I did it myself, but a good indy should be able to do it.  All I was really saying is that you can try just clearing the codes with something like Durametric, but my experience was that I had to go through the complete setup procedure before the fault codes would clear permanently.  Clearing the faults only lasted a day or so before they came back.

The worst part of the process is grinding the shoes, and it is best done on a closed road.  It involves 8 stop and start runs,  where the computer applies the handbrake while you are driving (slowly).  You also have to have the hazard warning lights on all the time, or the routine won't run.

You have to wonder at the real benefit of these electric handbrakes if it takes that much work to recalibrate it when it used to be a few clicks with a screwdriver blade to the mechanical adjuster....

55 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You have to wonder at the real benefit of these electric handbrakes if it takes that much work to recalibrate it when it used to be a few clicks with a screwdriver blade to the mechanical adjuster....

I think they do it to reduce the mechanical lever/cable requirement to the centre console - allows them to put more stuff in the middle and use the same console for for rhd/lhd - done for their benefit more than ours I reckon..

13 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

There is more benefit for cars with PDK. The Hold function is very useful. 

That’s there with manual handbrake.  987.2 does it and on some cases it’s a scary thing - recently has to reverse out of a side road into a main road.  Slight uphill ( side to main ).  Hill hold meant I needed a few revs. 3.4 litres and a low ratio reverse meant by the time the brakes let off I ended up on a who dares wins lunge into traffic. 

It’s a downside of pdk I think - I would be ok with a bit of roll from brake to throttle. I have done it for more than 300k miles in other manual (so clutch dancing as well ) cars and I don’t think the implementation is great   

3 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

There is more benefit for cars with PDK. The Hold function is very useful. 

Yes, I have it on my DSG & ACC equipped SEAT company car.  There are uses but when maintenance become difficult...

I also just realised Paul and I were talking about different things. I believe he was referring to the auto hold with PDK, and I was talking about the Hold function of the EPB, whereby pushing the brake pedal hard after you come to a stop engages the handbrake until you touch the throttle to pull away. 

On 11/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, Kev73 said:

I have, nobody in my area 

I would recommend porsche indy, Christ Denning, whitchurch, Cardiff. 

12 hours ago, Guvs said:

I would recommend porsche indy, Christ Denning, whitchurch, Cardiff. 

I'll give him a call tomorrow, the website dont work, is he still trading?

18 hours ago, Kev73 said:

I'll give him a call tomorrow, the website dont work, is he 

I haven't been down there since before lockdown.

Guvs.

3 hours ago, alank said:

Ref the handbrake problem, is their any preventative maintanence that could be done, ie greasing/lubrication of the mechanism to help ??

I don't think so, those actuators are sealed units

• 2 weeks later...

Archived