How long should I allow to replace the passenger side drip tray?

the baron

11 minutes ago, the baron said:

They do have to be removed, as they screw into the same part of the frame as the 3 large bolts, this is why the roof wouldn’t budge, when removed it just slid out so if they were left in place I would still be trying to remove it 24hrs later and is my beef with online tutorials 

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe

5. Once the 3 bolts on each side (left and right) have been removed (and the four Phillips screws, two on each side), just slide the top back about one inch and then lift it straight up.  If you are not the original owner, note that someone else may have removed the Phillips screws and not replaced them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, the baron said:

They do have to be removed, as they screw into the same part of the frame as the 3 large bolts, this is why the roof wouldn’t budge, when removed it just slid out so if they were left in place I would still be trying to remove it 24hrs later and is my beef with online tutorials 

1 minute ago, TROOPER88 said:

Yes I have

Of the circa 20 I have done; plastic to glass, glass to plastic, ripped plastic to plastic etc etc, not once have I seen the screws.

But that doesn't mean they won't be there, which in Steves case they clearly are. 

2 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

But that doesn't mean they won't be there, which in Steves case they clearly are. 

Yes, I appreciate that.

Hopefully The Baron can now remove his roof and drip tray; do not leave it as a 'bodge' with tape, water will get through. As I have also stated, the foam underneath is very often also damaged. 

2 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Yes, I appreciate that.

Hopefully The Baron can now remove his roof and drip tray; do not leave it as a 'bodge' with tape, water will get through. As I have also stated, the foam underneath is very often also damaged. 

I think you will find he has already removed the roof, hence his frustrated post. 

If you knew that there were potentially four more screws holding the roof on, then I can't really understand why you would categorically state that there isn't, but I'm guessing you didn't as you have never encountered them. 

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe

5. Once the 3 bolts on each side (left and right) have been removed (and the four Phillips screws, two on each side), just slide the top back about one inch and then lift it straight up.  If you are not the original owner, note that someone else may have removed the Phillips screws and not replaced them.

This ^^^^^ and here are the pics, this is when the roof is off the car so you can clearly see them:

UNCVeQi.jpg

sutbhBX.jpg

I now have an issue in getting the roof back in place which is not easy with series of bits of plastic snapping and the sound of tearing polystyrene, making a right pigs ear of it, might have to take it up to Lee's 😳

17 minutes ago, the baron said:

I now have an issue in getting the roof back in place which is not easy with series of bits of plastic snapping and the sound of tearing polystyrene, making a right pigs ear of it, might have to take it up to Lee's 😳

Blimey chap this sounds a nightmare.  I'd be tempted to call it a day and get it into Lee to checkout and resolve any broken bits (but then again my DIY skills are non-existent).  Good luck either way, I'm sure it will be sorted and time heals all wounds as they say 😀 

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

Blimey chap this sounds a nightmare.  I'd be tempted to call it a day and get it into Lee to checkout and resolve any broken bits (but then again my DIY skills are non-existent).  Good luck either way, I'm sure it will be sorted and time heals all wounds as they say 😀 

Yes, that was my thoughts half way through, however I now have it all back together minus the micro switch, I have reconnected it, its loose in the cabin and when I hold it together I can operate the roof, but regardless of position of the roof ie up or down I have a red light on the dash when I drive so regardless it will have to go to Lee's but not urgent now as its drivable.

I like to have a go at most things but invariably I fek it up and it ends up costing twice as much to sort out properly.😂

5 hours ago, PaulQ said:

I think you will find he has already removed the roof, hence his frustrated post. 

If you knew that there were potentially four more screws holding the roof on, then I can't really understand why you would categorically state that there isn't, but I'm guessing you didn't as you have never encountered them. 

Precisely, not once have I encountered them

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Yes, that was my thoughts half way through, however I now have it all back together minus the micro switch, I have reconnected it, its loose in the cabin and when I hold it together I can operate the roof, but regardless of position of the roof ie up or down I have a red light on the dash when I drive so regardless it will have to go to Lee's but not urgent now as its drivable.

I like to have a go at most things but invariably I fek it up and it ends up costing twice as much to sort out properly.😂

Nightmare.

Had you been local, I would do It for you.

I swapped a plastic to glass roof for a member on here last week and have serviced a couple of members cars .

At least you have learnt a lot and had a go; thats the main thing :) 

14 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Nightmare.

Had you been local, I would do It for you.

I swapped a plastic to glass roof for a member on here last week and have serviced a couple of members cars .

At least you have learnt a lot and had a go; thats the main thing :) 

Thanks, sorry it got a little heated at one point 😳, just frustrated regarding the "Philips screw gate" which as you can see from the pics on mine they were stopping the removal, so in future if you encounter that you know where they are located now.

I just need to sort out another micro switch and the installation which no doubt will be a nightmare, thanks for the offer of help.

7 minutes ago, the baron said:

Thanks, sorry it got a little heated at one point 😳,

6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other.  There seems to be a few posts on here going lockdown crazy. :cry: 

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Thanks, sorry it got a little heated at one point 😳, just frustrated regarding the "Philips screw gate" which as you can see from the pics on mine they were stopping the removal, so in future if you encounter that you know where they are located now.

I just need to sort out another micro switch and the installation which no doubt will be a nightmare, thanks for the offer of help.

Weird how I have never seen them.

You will soon sort the microswitch and will no doubt learn a lot throughout the process.

There is not a single day that passes when I do not learn something new about the 986's.

Today I have sorted the double horn beep on a 986 S caused by a lock issue!! :) 

1 hour ago, Araf said:

6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other.  There seems to be a few posts on here going lockdown crazy. :cry: 

Stop being lazy ½ not 1/2...🤬  Sorry, sorry, lock down fatigue can craziness.  😉

35 minutes ago, Welly_59 said:

My tray was punctured by previous owner, and also damaged the foam underneath, which is also now soaked through.

Do people tend to replace the foam, leave as is, or remove entirely?

Personally I would replace it; I like things 'right'

I have taken roof's on and off on my own but obviously it is easier with two people 

None of it is difficult, even to remove the roll over bars out of the way

46 minutes ago, Welly_59 said:

@the baron I need to do this soon. Did you get the roof off on your own?

Looking under the clamshell it seems I need to remove the roof transmission to be able to remove the drip tray, or not?

You will just need someone to help you lift it off and back on and help position it.

you don’t need to remove anything else but you can remove the large bolt that holds the clamshell piston in place that will enable you to get the tray in position better, some people cut it at the top and slide into position.

Archived