Can't get the seat position right

Kev73

Having owned my 981 for one month now and done about 350 miles I just cannot get the seating position right, I'm constantly fidgeting, altering and tweaking adjustments every five mins, I've read YouTube videos of how to set the porsche seats up correctly but to no avail, just find it worse, I find my right upper thigh aching going into my right buttock, pedals are slightly offset inboard which isn't helping matters either, it's the first porsche I've owned and its spoiling the enjoyment somewhat, seats are the sport versions with the extra shoulder wings, no lumbar support and only backrest adjustment. Also I like to have the rake of the squab flat as possible like in my old bmw m3& m2 but I can't adjust the angle of these squabs which isn't helping, seem to be driving with my knees up which I don't like, I used to have the seats in my bmws low as possible but in  this I need it high, I'm not a big guy, 12 stone and 5'9", the seat problem has me thinking of selling, anyone else have this problem? 

Suspect given that seat setup/comfort is largely individual it could be quite hard to provide an exact answer which works for you.

Thread here on the same topic which has suggestions, https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=998044

I guess you're referring to the video below re YouTube ?

Three porsche's in and I finally figure out that to be comfortable you have to sit how Porsche tell you.....

I have ALWAYS laid down in cars (6'1'') and of "Italian" origin - so height in body not legs - the Porsche designers want to you sit upright - not unlike DTM drivers - body upright, hips 90 deg, knees 90 deg - closer to the wheel than I would default to. Latest car has sports seats - these are more comfortable than previous boxster, 1st one i had was a 911 SC - that was just weird since you had to sit diagonally for your hips to line up with pedals - Boxsters are better.

But - If I do it the "Porsche way"- I do feel comfortable - and more connected with the car - I have to drop the seat height a little, roof up - my head hits the top, roof down I get a bit blustery - but it works for me.

So I suggest a rethink of how you are used to sitting and see if you can find a new comfortable....

It may or may not help your particular issue but check out http://drivingergonomics.lboro.ac.uk/links.html

They have PDFs on how to set your driving position. I've used it in the past as I have had issues in the Skoda  due to a back problem but also aching arms, and pressure from the seat squab on the thigh, exacerbated by offset pedals. 

6 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Suspect given that seat setup/comfort is largely individual it could be quite hard to provide an exact answer which works for you.

Thread here on the same topic which has suggestions, https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=998044

I guess you're referring to the video below re YouTube ?

yes , that was the video i was refering to, I set the seat up the other day whilst in the garage, went for a drive yesterday and had the alter it back within 2 mins 

All I can suggest is working on the bit that aches, finding out what it may be compensating for, maybe the problem lies with your set up rather than the car.

Alternatively, your sport plus seats are more desirable than the comfort versions in my opinion, so maybe ask around to see if anyone would like to swap with you.

When I got my first 981 Boxster I also found the seat position very different to my previous BMW's.  Like you I thought I had to have the seat in the Boxster quite high to be able to see properly what with the bonnet falling away steeply etc.  After a couple of weeks I started lowering the seat as confidence grew to now having it at the lowest point meaning I now sit in the car rather than on top of the car.  This means my legs are straighter in the car which allows for a different back rest position.  I now regularly tour Europe (or used to until this awful year) and do around 2,500 miles each trip averaging around 230 miles per day with no side effects, apart from an aching jaw from the smiling too much.

Perhaps worth trying and see if it helps.

Have you sat in any 981s with different seats?.   Difficult at the moment otherwise I would have advised finding someone local with a 981 to check if a different t seat solves the issue.

My only issue was with lumbar support, that was solved with a £10 feather cushion, but then I’m 6’4” so not relevant to you. Most reviews talk about excellent driving position in the 981, and at 5’9” you are not especially short so I’d be very surprised if you couldn’t find an acceptable position.

thigh thing might be the front edge of the seat base set too high, back thing is my problem and need mine tilted back a bit more to be comfortable.

suggest the following - apologies if already done and kind of obvious - not sure if it's been tried

set to 90-ish straight back, lowest seat base setting

slide back and forward until pedal reach is right

raise seat base until you can see the bonnet and then lower a notch or two until you can't

adjust back angle of seat backwards as far as it can go so your wrists (not hands) can touch the top centre of the steering wheel comfortably

raise front edge of seat base up or down so it's just lightly supporting your thighs while touching pedals - but not strongly touching or you'll get the cramp/strain you describe

adjust all of it slightly so you can press pedals fully to the floor and wrists still on top of wheel

and then that's probably as good as it's ever going to get without changing seats.

hope that's helpful, sorry if already tried.

OK cheers Frozen, as I say it's getting there the back rest is more upright than I normally have but I'm getting used to it, unfortunately I can't adjust the front edge of the seat base as I have basic adjustments on my sports + seats 

Archived