Interior condensation

Pordave

Do all 986 owners suffer from terrible condensation problems in winter on rear window, windscreen and inner roof lining?

it takes at least 5 minutes to clear the windscreen and I have never managed to clear the rear screen using the heating aircon or demister.

Last night it was so wet I had to use a squeegee to mop up the condensation.

is it just my car, or a general convertible phenomenon?

cheers Dave

You almost certainly have a leak somewhere. Check the carpet at the bottom of the doors after rain and also lift the carpet behind the seats and check for dampness. The top layer can be dry while the substantial foam is soaking wet from leaks in the clamshell membrane or overflow from blocked drains. Do you park under trees that may have shed debris into the drains? Clamshell membrane can be punctured if one of the ball joints snaps. Roof still works with one arm, but loose arm then puncture the membrane.

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

You almost certainly have a leak somewhere. Check the carpet at the bottom of the doors after rain and also lift the carpet behind the seats and check for dampness. The top layer can be dry while the substantial foam is soaking wet from leaks in the clamshell membrane or overflow from blocked drains. Do you park under trees that may have shed debris into the drains? Clamshell membrane can be punctured if one of the ball joints snaps. Roof still works with one arm, but loose arm then puncture the membrane.

This^^ would be my guess and advice too.

You might have a leak, but I haven't and still get some condensation, though a 151 dehumidifier behind each seat does help. 

Car is used daily though and left outside.

Yours does sound quite bad though as I've never had any on the inside of the roof. 

Mine was worse when the door card was leaking. 

If your car is left outside and not garaged you will always get condensation as the rear trip trays are not isolated from the interior, so it’s like having an indoor water feature all over winter. As other people have suggested get some of those packs like ‘Pingi’ and you will pretty much cure it as long as you look after them.

As mentioned above never had it dripping off the roof so again as others have said check all your carpets.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

My car is indeed left out all the time but not under trees. About every 2 months I have cleared all the drain holes with a trombone cleaner and have 4 fake Pingi dehumidifiers in the car. (Long story but they are blatant poor copies)

I shall check all over again and take out the rear wind deflector so I can clear the window. May also try the Clear to go dehumidifiers.

Next stop.   
Either drive it more and further with swimming trunks on and the heater set on max or carpets out and door cards off.

Cheers and have a good weekend.

Dave

I keep mine out side and use it all year round but I do use a half cover (Cabrio Shield premium) which helps stop the drip trays collecting so much water as ot covers most of the routes water follows to collect in them.  Also means the glass isn't covered in condensation on the outside if you want to use it and it slows the growth of algae in the hood material as it is kept drier so it doesn't need cleaning so often.

Worth remembering that air blown into the cabin by the heater or aircon for de-misting has to exit somewhere for good flow.  If the windows are shut, the route built-in by Porsche is across the top of the water collection foam trays then into the boot to finally exit via non-return flaps either side of the boot and hidden behind the carpet.  Worth following these routes and checking they aren't blocked off, for example by gear in the boot or carelessly secured carpet, and that the flaps are free to move.

Unfortunately the flow of air into the left hand side of the boot picks up damp from the left hand foam tray (which will be always wet in or after rain) and then passes over the engine ECU and a relay panel, which can cause corrosion of electrical contacts and soldered joints on older cars.

More of a problem for UK and north European cars than south European and Californian cars of course!

Archived