Why/how is the 987.2 2.9 Cayman more powerful than the 2.9 Boxster?

Lennym1984

The 987.2 Boxster and Cayman weigh the same, so the 10bhp isn't about that.  This is what it says in the 987.2 Infirmation Technik.  (Don't shoot the messenger):

"The Cayman models have higher power output and torque values compared to the Boxster models. The result is better performance figures, which confirm the superior positioning of the Cayman models with regard to driving dynamics potential."

There is a lot of other interesting stuff in the document,so I've uploaded a copy for anyone interested:

<987.2 Service Information Technik>

21 hours ago, Davey P said:

I wish that was true mate.  I want a Cayman next, but the prices when comparing like for like (age/mileage etc) against my Boxster are insane.  I will probably have a self imposed budget of around £10K plus mine in P/X, but at the moment that would only get me an older car with higher mileage :cry:

Don't rule out a 996. I never wanted one but ended up with one and love it!

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

That’s a nice car with a nice spec but strong money for a gen 1.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124443525715

This looks like a nice car 👌

13 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

That’s a nice car with a nice spec but strong money for a gen 1.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124443525715

This looks like a nice car 👌

Wow Gareth isn't that into 981 territory? 

Getting very tempted to trade up my 981s up for 718s, even with all the mods I've done to it 🥴. Wish I could make up my mind 😭.

15 minutes ago, mneil said:

Wow Gareth isn't that into 981 territory? 

Getting very tempted to trade up my 981s up for 718s, even with all the mods I've done to it 🥴. Wish I could make up my mind 😭.

Yours is a great car with some nice upgrades 👌

It depends which 718 you’re looking at, I wouldn’t entertain the 4 cylinder models. I like the looks but that engine noise is awful Now the 718 6 cylinder Gts is another story! 

Or you could go 981 GTS, that would be my choice 👍

On 12/12/2020 at 9:28 AM, Richard Hamilton said:

The 987.2 Boxster and Cayman weigh the same, so the 10bhp isn't about that.  This is what it says in the 987.2 Infirmation Technik.  (Don't shoot the messenger):

"The Cayman models have higher power output and torque values compared to the Boxster models. The result is better performance figures, which confirm the superior positioning of the Cayman models with regard to driving dynamics potential."

There is a lot of other interesting stuff in the document,so I've uploaded a copy for anyone interested:

This is the point isn’t it.  It’s just a marketing angle for a Porsche so they can sell a reason to buy the Cayman.  Remember when the Cayman was introduced the Boxster was already established and successful.  So selling the Cayman as potentially more driver focussed... (which a hardtop would normally be. Of course the Boxster was designed from scratch as a convertible so avoids most of the structural compromises that usually go,with such)....with slightly more power makes sense. At the end of the day it’s just ECU mapping tweaks 

On 12/12/2020 at 9:28 AM, Richard Hamilton said:

As always Richard - good info - just read about the "clutch disengagement when brake applied" for the PDK - I have always felt inclined to shift to neutral when stopped for "more than a traffic light change" and was surprised to never find that in the manual - these docs are brilliant

http://www.richard-hamilton.co.uk/misc/porsche/2009_Boxster_Cayman_SIT.pdf

What a useful comparison between Boxster & Cayman models and respective S versions. Could this be made a sticky / incorporated into the introductory guides.

As a guide it reeks of the 1960s Ads for the Ford Contina,  “New Cortina - More Cortina”, presumably when compared to the “Old Cortina - Less Contina”. 

I am so glad I picked a 987.2, given all the new and improved features I’m amazed that Porsche had the effrontery to even to try to sell the 987 or 986 models, what dogs they were. (Equally I’ll be very upset if I read about the the new 981 or 718 and find what all the short comings that the 987.2 had).

Ad speak aside, I note that should a coil pack fail the injector cuts off (thus saving the Cat) whether this is the DFI engine only or not isn’t clear as by compare and contrast the the DFI engine falls firmly into the “New Cortina” camp. Along with all of those other, new, better than sliced bread features that Porsche couldn’t be arsed to fit to the 2.9 engines.

Archived