Nannodrive Engine Oil

deanmr2

As for what @Cheddar Bob says , absolutely  use the correct oil with the correct approval and you'll be fine , Gone have the days of one grade fits all , at work we now stock over 80 different part numbers on oil , with 13 different variants on 5w/30 alone , like bob says , its down to the correct mixture of additives.

As for millers I personally wouldn't touch them one bit.

There is an independent company called VLS, which stands for Verification of Lubricant Specifications. Their role is to test and report on oil specifications and then to either ban or agree corrective measures on oil specifications and  labeling.

In 2016 they tested a certain Millers grade of oil, which subsequently failed the tests and as such had to be re-formulated and certain specifications removed from the labelling. As we were a millers stockist we then asked for proof of the approvals for the other oils we were selling, after six months of refusals, we gave them thirty days notice to provide it or we wouldn't purchase any more , thirty days later we switched to Total lubricants and received all the approval letters from Total within two weeks !!

Approval Letters cost between 10k and 50k depending on vehicle manufacturer , each approval lasts between 2 and 5 years and you need a separate approval for each different product , so if say there's  a  5w/50 and 5w/40 then a oil blender would need to apply for and pay for 2 different approvals ..Also worth noting millers are selling oil in the mobil1 , castrol , oe price range so not exactly cheap

You have to wonder why Millers would refuse to give a copy of the approval letter to a customer who was purchasing 500k of oil a year

2 minutes ago, dunks said:

As for what @Cheddar Bob says , absolutely  use the correct oil with the correct approval and you'll be fine , Gone have the days of one grade fits all , at work we now stock over 80 different part numbers on oil , with 13 different variants on 5w/30 alone , like bob says , its down to the correct mixture of additives.

There is an independent company called VLS, which stands for Verification of Lubricant Specifications. Their role is to test and report on oil specifications and then to either ban or agree corrective measures on oil specifications and  labeling.

In 2016 they tested a certain Millers grade of oil, which subsequently failed the tests and as such had to be re-formulated and certain specifications removed from the labelling. As we were a millers stockist we then asked for proof of the approvals for the other oils we were selling, after six months of refusals, we gave them thirty days notice to provide it or we wouldn't purchase any more , thirty days later we switched to Total lubricants and received all the approval letters from Total within two weeks !!

Approval Letters cost between 10k and 50k depending on vehicle manufacturer , each approval lasts between 2 and 5 years and you need a separate approval for each different product , so if say there's  a  5w/50 and 5w/40 then a oil blender would need to apply for and pay for 2 different approvals ..Also worth noting millers are selling oil in the mobil1 , castrol , oe price range so not exactly cheap

You have to wonder why Millers would refuse to give a copy of the approval letter to a customer who was purchasing 500k of oil a year

Who is it you work for and or own/run dunks?

52 minutes ago, dunks said:

Millers Oils receive Porsche A40 approval for XF Longlife 5w40, June 2013, according to the Porsche “A40” oil category, which is currently valid for all Porsche cars of model year 1994, except Cayenne V6 Porsche hybrid cars for longdrain and except all Porsche Diesel cars.

Surely youre not suggesting that Millers are lying about their product? I'd imagine Porsche would sue them for every penny!

58 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Who is it you work for and or own/run dunks?

Ive worked for motor factors for 20 years in various roles, counter sales, Branch Manager, Area Manager and now Bdm ,but from 2015 to 2019 I spent most of my working day sharing an office with the Md of an independent chain of motor factors, where we spent most of the day dealing with suppliers and placing orders with them while enjoying some very good jollies to manufacturing plants...Yourself ?

5 minutes ago, dunks said:

Ive worked for motor factors for 20 years in various roles, counter sales, Branch Manager, Area Manager and now Bdm ,but from 2015 to 2019 I spent most of my working day sharing an office with the Md of an independent chain of motor factors, where we spent most of the day dealing with suppliers and placing orders with them while enjoying some very good jollies to manufacturing plants...Yourself ?

I work in the oil industry. Total being a previous employer of mine. 

9 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I work in the oil industry. Total being a previous employer of mine. 

I dealt with a guy called James @ total who i think was quite new to the trade but had a few meetings with a technical guy from total called Geoff, from memory he had been been there since day dot

33 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Millers Oils receive Porsche A40 approval for XF Longlife 5w40, June 2013, according to the Porsche “A40” oil category, which is currently valid for all Porsche cars of model year 1994, except Cayenne V6 Porsche hybrid cars for longdrain and except all Porsche Diesel cars.

Surely youre not suggesting that Millers are lying about their product? I'd imagine Porsche would sue them for every penny!

Millers have been caught out once , claiming something is what it isn't , namely specs for  PSA vehicles, those who dont know, Psa is Peugeot , citreon, Ds and now Vauxhall as well , so in essence they lied for vehicles that cover a very large range of vehicles   ( their not the first and wont be the last )

http://www.ukla-vls.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/vls010133-publication-as-at-23-09-2016.pdf   

as you can see they have then had to change the formulation .... We asked for proof on other products they claim where a, b & c... They refused / Couldnt  and walked away from half a million pounds worth of sales a year.... read into that what you want

36 minutes ago, dunks said:

I dealt with a guy called James @ total who i think was quite new to the trade but had a few meetings with a technical guy from total called Geoff, from memory he had been been there since day dot

I know them both well. 

29 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

That will be James <name removed> and Geoff <name removed>. Geoff hadn't been there that long. Had been at Castrol for 25+years. James came from Renault. 

Even though i've moved roles,  James still calls me for a catch up , I had some good motor event tickets off him in the past including a tour of the red bull racing F1 factory, 

Geoff with his wooden box of oil samples in test tubes !!

4 minutes ago, dunks said:

Even though i've moved roles,  James still calls me for a catch up , I had some good motor event tickets off him in the past including a tour of the red bull racing F1 factory, 

Geoff with his wooden box of oil samples in test tubes !!

Can you edit your post to remove their full names please bud, I shouldn't have put them up. 

I see Geoff regular. 👍 When you next speak to James, tell him i said "hi Jimbo" 

10 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Can you edit your post to remove their full names please bud, I shouldn't have put them up. 

I see Geoff regular. 👍 When you next speak to James, tell him i said "hi Jimbo" 

I dont get an option to edit or delete

3 hours ago, dunks said:

Perhaps the line from my earlier post in the thread isn't so wide of the mark....

'Could be like the many lubricant additives additives, sl*g off the mainstream to fire up enthusiasts but not go the extra mile of getting independent tests to prove ultimate effectiveness.'

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Perhaps the line from my earlier post in the thread isn't so wide of the mark....

'Could be like the many lubricant additives additives, sl*g off the mainstream to fire up enthusiasts but not go the extra mile of getting independent tests to prove ultimate effectiveness.'

Sadly this type of marketing sells..

Archived