What tyres

smit572

Got ya. 

Mushy compared with what? A PS4 yeah a bit, compared with a Vredestein or a Goodyear's own Effcientgrip, no. 

Also, you have to be vary careful on load and speed rating with these as well as that makes a huge difference. 

I actually put the AS5 on my 330i Touring instead of the PS4 last year as I wanted it to feel softer, more comfy than I though the PS4 would be. The reality was I went XL and was too firm, almost a bit crashy. 

8 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Which Vreds are you referring to.? 

I was comparing against the Vred Ultrac Satin, which was meant to be a performance tyre. 

It was great as a comfort tyre, although only lasted about 7 mile on the rear, but didn't find it very sporty. 

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

As I said, I think any similarities in the characteristics of the same make and model of tyre will be largely diminished due to the stagger. 

How do you know that just replacing the Nankangs on the rear wouldn't have got you the same result.? 

I went to 18" rims too so needed 4 tyres. 😉

8 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

I was comparing against the Vred Ultrac Satin, which was meant to be a performance tyre. 

It was great as a comfort tyre, although only lasted about 7 mile on the rear, but didn't find it very sporty. 

The Ultrac Vorti is sporty :)

• Like 1

This was about 3 or 4 years ago now. They were a cracking price and was more than happy with them, but seemed weird they were marketed as a 'sporty' tyre. 

The point I was trying to make though, was, different tyres do have different aims and goals, so mixing them front and rear can change the character of the car, and not always positively. 

Maybe my experience of mixed tyres on BMWs over the years and the hundreds of forum posts having the same issues with mixed tyres has clouded my view of things? But tyres designed to do the same as each other front and back on a car like these I think really adds to the overall experience. 

These cars have amazing mechanical grip, with decent tyres on all round getting the back end out is incredibly difficult, even getting the traction to kick in is. 
Mismatched tyres really can change things. 

I am not saying always, but there are tell tale signs of them not being as matched as would be good. 

1 hour ago, gIzzE said:

These cars have amazing mechanical grip, with decent tyres on all round getting the back end out is incredibly difficult, even getting the traction to kick in is. 

I think the key here is decent tyres. 

Anyway, how are you getting on with your skinny 235 rears.? :)

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

I knew that was coming :)

To be fair, when I got the car is had 5+ year old and cracked Bridgestone SO2 N rated on the front and the virtually new Nankangs on the back (the PO had a rear tyre advisory on the MOT before I bought it so I guess got the cheapest 255/45 tyres that were in stock) and on those it was pretty OK, but I changed the cracked old SO2 fronts to GY Asym 5s.  Big change in front grip made the back end feel a lot less settled.  Now on the Dunlops and 18" rims it is planted and that was before I did all the suspension what has improved it another step...  I guess Mich PS4 would be another step.

Yeah like them. For the day or so I had used them after they had bed in a bit. 

Definitely makes the car feel a bit more nimble and maybe feels a little more progressive when pushing on, but not all that much in it if I am honest. At first I thought it was far more progressive, but I think that was more the tyres were scrubbing in. 

It doesn't tramline quite as much, which is what makes it feel a little more nimble, and that is a benefit. But in all honesty not all that much of a difference. 

I need to get a couple of dry days and really test it. 

16 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Surprised with the grip or the balance?  Equal tyres should give balance, however you've described some pretty lurid driving on runs when a more premium brand could well still be planted.  There might be a link here and if you go higher in the premium brands when you need more rubber you may find another level of performance/handling/grip that you're not had access to before - something to look forward to!

I've gone from Goodyear Asym 5 on front and Nanking on the back to Dunlops all round (and from 1"7 to 18" rims), much more planted and predictable rear end.

The grip. The tyres I thought would have offered less grip than what is on offer. 

20 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

And the same can be asked about ones driving ability. I would handsomely wager that the majority of boxster drivers would be no faster in their cars with your ps4s or my whatever they ares. 

In fact, if they thought they had super sticky rubber, I bet they would take more risks

The guy who sold me my Boxster was adamant that the Avanti tyres he had just put on the rear were superb. 

They were absolute shyatee and bordering on dangerous. 

I saw the invoice at £210 fitted. 

I fitted PS4 rears for £280.

Why would you to save £70? A tank of fuel. It boggles the mind. 

20 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

The guy who sold me my Boxster was adamant that the Avanti tyres he had just put on the rear were superb. 

I'm still trying to decide between the PS4 at around 200 quid (can't believe you paid 280) and the Apollo Aspire XP (they are made by Vredestein so not Chinese for around £130

There is a Chinese contender as well, but they won't work out any cheaper then the Apollo once fitted. 

70 quid is a lot of money to some, including me. 

Your probably thinking I shouldn't really have a Porsche if I'm not willing to pay an extra 70 pounds for a pair of tyres no doubt :)

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

I'm still trying to decide between the PS4 at around 200 quid (can't believe you paid 280) and the Apollo Aspire XP (they are made by Vredestein so not Chinese for around £130

There is a Chinese contender as well, but they won't work out any cheaper then the Apollo once fitted. 

Your probably thinking I shouldn't really have a Porsche if I'm not willing to pay an extra 70 pounds for a pair of tyres no doubt :)

£70 is a lot of money to anyone. Even those who say it isn't, but in reality they have money because they understand it is.

2 hours ago, gIzzE said:

if you are referring to me, lets be clear, I didn't put my tyres on my car. So therefore it has cost me £0. Resulting in a huge saving. There is no point me paying to replace good new tyres just because the brand doesn't fit. 

So my experience is based on driving a car with tyres I wouldn't ordinarily have purchased and let me tell you, even the cars with 100hp more struggled to maintain pace, and I was going at what I felt is as fast as I dare on a public road.

If you want to see what my cheapo tyres will do, come to Donnington in March with your expensive ones and if you are many seconds quicker than me, I will be pleased to let folk know the benefit for a road car on branded tyres. I expect you will be no faster or slower.

16 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

if you are referring to me, lets be clear, I didn't put my tyres on my car. So therefore it has cost me £0. Resulting in a huge saving. There is no point me paying to replace good new tyres just because the brand doesn't fit. 

So my experience is based on driving a car with tyres I wouldn't ordinarily have purchased and let me tell you, even the cars with 100hp more struggled to maintain pace, and I was going at what I felt is as fast as I dare on a public road.

If you want to see what my cheapo tyres will do, come to Donnington in March with your expensive ones and if you are many seconds quicker than me, I will be pleased to let folk know the benefit for a road car on branded tyres. I expect you will be no faster or slower.

Please tell me this isn't the start of an 'I'm a better driver than you' thread....  

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Please tell me this isn't the start of an 'I'm a better driver than you' thread....  

Not quite sure how you stirred that one in. I'm referring to tyres. If they are that great, regardless of how "good" you might be as a driver, the car with the better tyres surely will be much quicker as clearly the car with cheaper tyres will spin off and crash in a fireball. otherwise my point remains. 

Cheddar Bob

I feel a similar way.  I inherited my Boxster 2 years ago with Accelera Ph1 cheap tyres on which having read the forum, people call ditch finders.

Personally as long as I have 4 matched tyres with decent tread depth I don’t care what they are and in reality drive to my limits and not the tyres. I am also sure that the car like a dog will bite if provoked too far and self preservation rules.

Happy days and happy Covid free Xmas to all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Not quite sure how you stirred that one in. I'm referring to tyres. If they are that great, regardless of how "good" you might be as a driver, the car with the better tyres surely will be much quicker as clearly the car with cheaper tyres will spin off and crash in a fireball. otherwise my point remains. 

There were the clues:

'If you want to see what my cheapo tyres will do, come to Donnington in March with your expensive ones and if you are many seconds quicker than me'

and

'I expect you will be no faster or slower.'

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Have you thought of fitting Uniroyal Rainsports?