Undertray Flaps

Clivescoobydo

Could try a salvage tray on eBay, but as they scoop air up into the engine bay from under the car for cooling purposes at least bond them back in place.

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

bond them back in place.

This.

I was told a long, long time ago that they’re specifically for the gearbox but whatever the reason they’re there, they’re there for a reason. 

BTW I’ve run without that tray and the scoops for 12 years or so without any problems and couldn’t now fit one anyway - deep sump installed. Suspect that there’s enough airflow with it missing to maintain powertrain temps. 

2 minutes ago, map said:

This.

I was told a long, long time ago that they’re specifically for the gearbox but whatever the reason they’re there, they’re there for a reason. 

BTW I’ve run without that tray and the scoops for 12 years or so without any problems and couldn’t now fit one anyway - deep sump installed. Suspect that there’s enough airflow with it missing to maintain powertrain temps. 

Yes, without the tray the engine bay opening will cause a low pressure area for flow from under the car to expand into giving the cooling effect but it will create rear end drag and a small amount of lift if not in place. 

It looks as though they mainly draw cool air into the manifold/cat areas so not cooking the gearbox with exhaust heat.

These flaps are actually important to guide the air to cool down the transmission - possibly also air around the engine and oil cooler there.

I ordered the flaps from Pelican (Porsche Axle Joint Air Guide - 2 each part# 986-331-361-03) with a cost approx 12 USD +shipping each. If you buy these, make sure to order also the Porsche Axle Joint Air Guide retainers (both sides needs two different peaces - 2 each 999-507-774-40 AND 2 each 999-507-775-40).

These are Porsche original parts, so I'd assume that you could also order those parts from your local Porsche dealer using these part numbers above.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Could try a salvage tray on eBay, but as they scoop air up into the engine bay from under the car for cooling purposes at least bond them back in place.

Appreciate thoughts on bonding glue? I haven't felt how resistant it is to get back in position but I've a feeling its loose up and down so I've also got some very high bond tape which I might try.

9 minutes ago, pacificjuha said:

These flaps are actually important to guide the air to cool down the transmission - possibly also air around the engine and oil cooler there.

I ordered the flaps from Pelican (Porsche Axle Joint Air Guide - 2 each part# 986-331-361-03) with a cost approx 12 USD +shipping each. If you buy these, make sure to order also the Porsche Axle Joint Air Guide retainers (both sides needs two different peaces - 2 each 999-507-774-40 AND 2 each 999-507-775-40).

These are Porsche original parts, so I'd assume that you could also order those parts from your local Porsche dealer using these part numbers above.

Brilliant thanks Pacificjuha appreciate your help.

2 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Anyone had issues with one of the flaps coming adrift from the tray?  Thinking of bonding back on as I'm told those flaps only come with a new tray apparently circa £211+vat.

IMG_3288

I've never noticed them and I've been under my Boxster a heap of times. Mine must be long gone.

1 hour ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Appreciate thoughts on bonding glue? I haven't felt how resistant it is to get back in position but I've a feeling its loose up and down so I've also got some very high bond tape which I might try.

Needs to be something that will bond plastics and aluminium.  A decent 2 part epoxy along the lines of Araldite should be OK but prepare the bonding surfaces well to get rid of road dirt and oxides and key them too.

12 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Sounds like they do an important job so worth refitting.

I may have that tray in my shed, will check later, if so you can have it for postage costs

Gotta give a big shout to Will at Cridfords Porsche Indie in Surrey. Dropped them an email with pics, replied straightaway with bring it down and will pop it up and refit it for me. Didn't want anything for doing it, rare these days. Even had a coffee had looked around what they have in for sale. They've got a 996 Turbo Convertible, black on black with 5,000 miles on it!! £79K though.

Archived