Centre Console - alternative top repaint

dpg123

I think this will all depend on how good a job you make of glueing in place over the centre console, in theory I think it would look nice, practice is something else all together, would like to see one in situ

18 minutes ago, the baron said:

I think this will all depend on how good a job you make of glueing in place over the centre console, in theory I think it would look nice, practice is something else all together, would like to see one in situ

Agreed, any guinea pigs out there?  Maybe we crowd fund someone to do it?  I'm thinking that for £180 or so given the hassle of stripping prepping and painting well, the risks are much the same to get a good finish.  Lots of offering it up before applying the glue methinks. 

Looking at their eBay shop they do have a lot of interesting colour combinations for both leather & stitching. Plus if you do want one there are multiple listings for the same thing at different prices and delivery charges.  Be a savvy shopper.  I'd want to check how close their grey is to my grey as all black would look a bit odd in a grey interior, that said just the leather to cover the black bits would suit me.

I have been through JF customs (eBay seller) grey leather samples and sadly they are not a close enough match for my 986 grey leather. 

But I did buy the leather arm rest covers in black with grey sitch and are a good fit and a good company to deal with . 

But have now changed them as JW auto trim (a few members have got seats belts from him)  did a few bits of leather for me and the match is stunning 

10 hours ago, The Caped Crusader said:

Read the reviews of the seller. 🤔

Did I miss something? 35 negatives in 11284 reviews over 12 months, 99.7 positive. although mostly on his lower priced items.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Did I miss something? 35 negatives in 11284 reviews over 12 months, 99.7 positive. although mostly on his lower priced items.

I don’t think so, I think he was merely asking the OP to look at the 11284 reviews to get the feedback requested, as you say the product must be good to get 99.7 positives, I still stand by the application being the issue, on the smaller items I would imagine it would be much easier to glue in place, but could be a mare on the center console which has lots of curves.

Even on the eBay ad the first pic the leather doesn’t sit right and has a largish bubble in it, and that’s a professional doing it

5 minutes ago, the baron said:

I don’t think so, I think he was merely asking the OP to look at the 11284 reviews to get the feedback requested, as you say the product must be good to get 99.7 positives, I still stand by the application being the issue, on the smaller items I would imagine it would be much easier to glue in place, but could be a mare on the center console which has lots of curves.

Even on the eBay ad he first pic the leather doesn’t sit right and has a largish bubble in it, and that’s a professional doing it

I noticed that bubble too down in the recess for the hand brake, unless it was a dry fit as he used the console as a buck for all the finish combinations he's posted in pictures.  One of those a pro could to in minutes but a DIYer needs to take slowly.  Wheeler Dealers did a leather covering on the console for the 996 they did a couple of series ago as well as the IMS that everyone spotted you could see the pro trimmer taking a lot of care to line up before the final fit.

It was the emoji that confused me then.

Archived