Carnewal Exhaust not really an option - what else?

Digidick

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ascender said:

I've got that one bookmarked already! Have sent it to Gert to see if there's a deal to be done in any way with some sort of exchange + cash.

Ok, let me know if it looks like an option, happy to work with you if you wanted it to be shipped direct to Gert from here rather than to you first and then to him to keep your costs down.

I mention it may need some welding in my post and reference the last photo, I didn't want to misrepresent it's condition as I'm no expert in what can or can't be used by Gert. I can take a wire brush or wheel to that to give a clearer view of it if required, may well do this anyway to better investigate condition.

16 minutes ago, Ascender said:

How does Gert prefer to communicate? Is calling him the best bet?

He replied within minutes to an email I sent him before I decided to buy a DesignTek exhaust.

14 minutes ago, nick997 said:

Ok, let me know if it looks like an option, happy to work with you if you wanted it to be shipped direct to Gert from here rather than to you first and then to him to keep your costs down.

I mention it may need some welding in my post and reference the last photo, I didn't want to misrepresent it's condition as I'm no expert in what can or can't be used by Gert. I can take a wire brush or wheel to that to give a clearer view of it if required, may well do this anyway to better investigate condition.

Thanks, really appreciate that. When I saw your listing it was great to see all the pictures and detail, a proper good eBay listing!

I'll try giving him a shout today after these meetings - sounds like he might even be happy to have a look at your pics and give his view.

12 minutes ago, Ascender said:

Do you mind me asking which exhaust you bought and how you've found it? 

I needed a clutch and flywheel replacement so as the exhaust had to come off to do this it made sense to sort out making the car more vocal at the same time which was always on my to do list. Design911 had a sale on just after Christmas with an ever increasing percentage off parts as you spent more so it made sense to buy all of the parts direct from them which combined brought the DesignTek valved exhaust down to £700 odd, not much more than a Carnewal job and much easier for my Indy to fit, no waiting around for them to remove exhaust, ship to Gert and so on.

The DesignTek is quite a bit louder than standard with vavles off, it has a bit of a boom to it between 2000 and 3000 revs which can be avoided to some extent by gentle acceleration but is always present. Above 3000 the boom goes away and it is a nice sound, a bit more of a growl than standard. With valves open it is something else, really barks and is very loud. I helped a mate change his alternator last week, he lives in a rural area and said he could hear me coming from a couple of fields away 😃 Tunnels are amazing with valves open, my 11 year old lad was grinning like a fool the first time I took him through a short tunnel without telling him.

22 minutes ago, Ascender said:

Thanks, really appreciate that. When I saw your listing it was great to see all the pictures and detail, a proper good eBay listing!

I'll try giving him a shout today after these meetings - sounds like he might even be happy to have a look at your pics and give his view.

Thanks, I've tried to be honest. I've just dug out Gert's email when I discussed it with him when the exhaust was still on the car. I sent him pictures of an exhaust I was looking at possibly buying and mine and he said this "The exhaust on the car looks better but you still need to seem the top side of the corners." I guess he means a bit of welding to the seam that runs around the top and bottom.

No joy with Gert, they don't have any stock to sell and are currently looking at a 5-8 week turnaround rather than 2.

The reason for me looking to get it done sooner is that I need to get some work done which needs the engine-out, so they'll be taking the exhaust (which has a hole in it) off anyway. Time to look at the alternatives I guess!

Thanks for the info on your one @nick997, sounds like a belter! Looks like I missed out on a good opportunity with Design911 there!

21 minutes ago, Ascender said:

No joy with Gert, they don't have any stock to sell and are currently looking at a 5-8 week turnaround rather than 2.

The reason for me looking to get it done sooner is that I need to get some work done which needs the engine-out, so they'll be taking the exhaust (which has a hole in it) off anyway. Time to look at the alternatives I guess!

Thanks for the info on your one @nick997, sounds like a belter! Looks like I missed out on a good opportunity with Design911 there!

They have a spring sale on, looks like you would get 7% off a valved DesignTek at the moment.

21 minutes ago, Ascender said:

So is this the one you have?

Design911 clicky

Looks like its about £150 cheaper from them than from DesignTek direct.

Just so you know @Ascender, I ordered the DesignTek exhaust for my 987.1 from Design911, for the same reason as you, the sale discount. The problem is that they are out of stock and they don’t arrive until the 25th May! I think I have the same issue as you too, a large hole in the upper right corner of the right-hand backbox.

5 minutes ago, BBB said:

Just so you know @Ascender, I ordered the DesignTek exhaust for my 987.1 from Design911, for the same reason as you, the sale discount. The problem is that they are out of stock and they don’t arrive until the 25th May! I think I have the same issue as you too, a large hole in the upper right corner of the right-hand backbox.

Oh FFS... I've just been replying on another thread saying that there's no way to see if something is in stock or not with Design911! Meanwhile its sitting in my cart waiting to checkout!

Thanks for the heads-up. Back to the drawing board I guess!

Ive got the valved Designtek.  Got it fitted a couple weeks back.  Its awesome!  TBH as my car is not a daily, if I was to do it again I wouldn't bother with the additional cost for the valves

27 minutes ago, Ascender said:

Thanks for the heads-up. Back to the drawing board I guess!

Revolution Porsche in Leeds do a similar mod to Gert. Be happy to send any high res photos to them if you want to ask them about modifying mine.

15 minutes ago, MickH said:

Ive got the valved Designtek.  Got it fitted a couple weeks back.  Its awesome!  TBH as my car is not a daily, if I was to do it again I wouldn't bother with the additional cost for the valves

That's the other option I was just looking at - go for the non-valved one which presumably is still going to make a nice noise 😀

6 minutes ago, Ascender said:

That's the other option I was just looking at - go for the non-valved one which presumably is still going to make a nice noise 😀

Yes it will just be the loud setting without

24 minutes ago, MickH said:

Yes it will just be the loud setting without

This is where I guess it would be good to know what the loud setting is like compared to stock, but at the same time, its a sports car, so a loud exhaust is to be expected so long as its not tiring to the driver!

@Digidickknew of someone who had a non-valved TopGear for sale that we both considered buying but the guy talked us both out of it for a daily driver. This was back in Jan/Feb time, might still be for sale, think he wanted £400 at the time.

3 minutes ago, nick997 said:

@Digidickknew of someone who had a non-valved TopGear for sale that we both considered buying but the guy talked us both out of it for a daily driver. This was back in Jan/Feb time, might still be for sale, think he wanted £400 at the time.

.... which kind of makes me think valved is the way to go. Design911 got back to me, they think they should have some valved DesignTeks "soon" but that's not giving me much confidence. Will have a chat with the Indy to see what sort of system they can do if I don't source something.

I had to wait for my exhaust to be delivered, knew they had no stock when I ordered as I emailed them beforehand. It turned up when they said it would, about 3 weeks after placing the order and the discount was applied on the date I ordered rather than delivered.

Designtek is their own labelled previously white labelled product possibly sourced via Alibaba. I think the same applies to the Porscheshop own brand stuff. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Tom said:

I’ve got my 987 2.7 booked in with revolution end of May for the bypass. Will update this thread with before and after if anyone’s interested?

Thanks as I have a 2.7 too and much as I’d love a drive to Bruges/Brugge, I think a day at Revolution makes more sense.

Archived