Rust on rear arches

dunks

I've a little surface rust on the inner rear wheel arch , but looking at this picture of another  car on ebay, it looks like it has a liner that covers the inner edge, but I cant see any reference to it on Porsche Parts Catalogue.  Anyone know if it was an option as it would cover the rust completely 

y4m1ob8Q8EwB3pm3xUOiO2zqoBKMhpC2dJFcEVLI

There is a wheel arch liner but the edge is uncovered. The edge has a fold or trough enough to trap plenty of mud. Lots of cars seem to have wing it arches made this way. 

33 minutes ago, dunks said:

I've a little surface rust on the inner rear wheel arch , but looking at this picture of another  car on ebay, it looks like it has a liner that covers the inner edge, but I cant see any reference to it on Porsche Parts Catalogue.  Anyone know if it was an option as it would cover the rust completely 

y4m1ob8Q8EwB3pm3xUOiO2zqoBKMhpC2dJFcEVLI

Covering rust isn't a very permanent solution! If it's in the inner arches (ie. Where nobody will see it), just clean it up and paint it with epoxy mastic (don't bother with POR15, it's expensive and a faff) and then, if you want, you can cover in stonechip

The arch liner sits inside the metalwork return on the arch.  From that view it has reminded me they can also rust driver's side where the deadening material is applied inside just below and to the rear of the engine bay vent opening.

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The arch liner sits inside the metalwork return on the arch.  From that view it has reminded me they can also rust driver's side where the deadening material is applied inside just below and to the rear of the engine bay vent opening.

This happened to mine on the passenger side vent The garage ended up having to cut a large piece of metal out where it had rusted from the inside, no point In Trying to fill the area with filler, it needs to be cut out to stop it returning

i did a thread on it somewhere if you do a search.

47 minutes ago, Crazymind said:

Bit extreme if it’s just surface rust. 

The rust around he vent is not surface rust, it rusted from the inside out so looks like surface rust, see my other thread, the foam backing that is glued to the inside panel under the vent traps water and causes major rust issues

2 hours ago, the baron said:

The rust around he vent is not surface rust, it rusted from the inside out so looks like surface rust, see my other thread, the foam backing that is glued to the inside panel under the vent traps water and causes major rust issues

I have found one small paint blister on the driver's side of mine by the vent.  I took it to a local body shop who have done a few Boxsters repairs and resprays over the years and he advised popping out the vent moulding, strip off the foam on the inside and if the metal is not coming off in flakes of rust make sure it is dry and paste it with grease to stop it deteriorating to buy a couple or even a few years to consider what to do with it.

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I have found one small paint blister on the driver's side of mine by the vent.  I took it to a local body shop who have done a few Boxsters repairs and resprays over the years and he advised popping out the vent moulding, strip off the foam on the inside and if the metal is not coming off in flakes of rust make sure it is dry and paste it with grease to stop it deteriorating to buy a couple or even a few years to consider what to do with it.

I did this on both sides with a liberal coating of wax oil to prevent further rust  hopefully

Archived