Front Strut Brace Install

beaks

Just thought I'd show how easy it is to install these bars.

Below are the parts you need - 2 struts, 2 nylon inserts, 2 M10x45 bolts and 4 M6 x 20 bolts.

BE9-CDAC2-0-E08-43-B2-8-D2-B-93-A0-D0588

The above were standard fit on 997's and believe they were on some 986's too - not sure why they didn't make it to the 987 but hey.

For your 987, you need to be sure your car has the plates with threaded inserts on the strut towers and also the big black bracket on the bulkhead (although I think all 987's have this) - 

22-B99-C1-D-392-C-493-B-8-DEA-0-E05149-E

9-CA67-E53-9-CDC-4-A2-F-AAE3-F40-B52-A09

4881-D69-D-BABC-4-B8-A-858-C-944924-FB1-

First job to do is remove the scuttle cover. Remove the plastic caps from the wiper arms, and using a 13mm socket take the nuts off, give the wipers a wriggle and remove them.

Top tip - put some masking tape on the screen so you can easily get the wipers back in the right position when you refit them...

2-EF7-CB69-49-DF-45-C6-91-A5-B662710808-

Then whip the plastic covers off at the end of the scuttle panel and using a (deep) 10mm socket remove the nut). Then using a T20 torx bit remove the screw in the middle of the panel.

After that, there's another two torx screws that hold the 'feet' of the scuttle panel (you can see one of them just behind the connector in the photo below). Whip them out, then disconnect the heated nozzle connections (2 off) and also pull the pipe out for the washer nozzles...

6-D1-CEFC6-A47-B-4154-B6-A9-1-A8-E0-A809

Once that's done, you'll be able to remove the scuttle panel. It takes a bit of manoeuvring but take your time, don't force it (!) and you'll get there.

Next up, the nylon insert for the o/s strut comes in two halves so it can get around the pipe shown below. It's a bit tricky to get seated into the bracket, so I found removing two of the bolts (10mm socket) holding the wiper assembly gave a lot more wriggle room. It has to sit in the exact right position otherwise you won't get the strut lined up with the bolt. The wiper bolts to remove is the one in the middle of the bracket (shown above, pink paint) and also the one at the foot of the wiper motor bracket (below the next photo, again, pink paint). Once the insert is seated correctly, remember to put the wiper bolts back in!

3-F57-F90-C-66-CA-4-B1-C-9-C94-675032578

038-FF9-A4-3-B79-44-DE-A91-D-912697-C1-A

Next up you can now fit the first strut brace. Get it in position, drop in the big bolt at the bracket end first, then put in the smaller bolts at the strut end. Use a 10mm ratchet spanner to do these all the way up tight, then using a 15mm socket do up the big bolt on the bracket end. You will then have this - 

62-C2-A07-E-5-D10-4506-814-A-097-E1-FE42

For the n/s, again fit the nylon insert into the bracket (a lot easier!) and fit the same bolts etc as the o/s. You will then have this - 

5-F264921-F685-4-B96-AE73-BF45-B7770-C17

EBDB2031-A4-CA-45-F0-B68-E-D32-FAD827-D7

Put everything back the reverse of how you took it apart and you're good to go. Don't forget the connectors for the nozzles and the washer fluid hose...

Once everything is back in place it looks pretty good - if you're super fussy like me it keeps a nice OE look and doesn't look out of place. I couldn't cope with a whacking great aftermarket brace running across the strut towers.

Oh, one thing - the two struts look virtually identical but are handed - so if the one you fit doesn't line up don't panic - grab the other one!

I'm sure everyone will have differing opinions on how much difference it'll make - but for me, it's a cheap modification and it will have 'some' effect - quite how much will be debated (most likely) until the end of time!

If anyone wants to buy the parts, these are the numbers you'll need -

99650423301 Dome Strut L

99650423401 Dome Strut R

90037810001 M10 x 45 Bolt (2 off)

99650463400 Filler piece L

99650463300 Filler piece R

90037817301 M6 x 20 bolt (4 off)

If you're buying 'new' that little lot will cost around £135.

I bought the bolts and nylon blocks (filler piece) new but the struts I got cheap from eBay. They weren't in great condition so I rubbed them down and resprayed them satin black. I'm not an expert sprayer but they've come up ok.

62506-AF5-565-A-46-C8-9-CAE-029-CAAC7140

Anyway, hope the above it useful!

Cheers,

Ian B

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Useful but seems to take a decade to load! Ultra-hi res pics or is my wifi on the blink?

Likely this thread belongs in How To.

yeah I think you're right - would change to lo-res but no way of editing my post?

I fitted these to my 987.2 and I felt a difference straight away.  More 911 at the front if you know what I mean.  Worth doing for the money (I got mine off eBay used).  Make sure you have the mounting points on the strut tops before buying because I read somewhere that some 987s didn't have them fitted.

2 hours ago, bbrbob said:

I fitted these to my 987.2 and I felt a difference straight away.  More 911 at the front if you know what I mean.  Worth doing for the money (I got mine off eBay used).  Make sure you have the mounting points on the strut tops before buying because I read somewhere that some 987s didn't have them fitted.

That's why I hhmmmphed. My car doesn't have the brackets on the strut towers.

ok so my base 987 07my does not have the plates on the struts - so when it all arrives on Monday I will offer for sale

so also hmmmmmmph 😞

edited maybe its an S model only thing?

Edited by Dubdubz

On 2/18/2021 at 4:20 PM, Dubdubz said:

ok so my base 987 07my does not have the plates on the struts - so when it all arrives on Monday I will offer for sale

so also hmmmmmmph 😞

edited maybe its an S model only thing?

Ah. Interesting. I have a base 987 on a 57 plate, but it's a Cayman. 

If I have the plates then I may be interested in buying your bits .... 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose anyone has a recommendation of an aftermarket brace? I've looked at the designtek one, I messaged design 911 who stock them and they say the battery covers can't be refitted once this is installed. That puts me off. 

3 minutes ago, Finchy said:

I don't suppose anyone has a recommendation of an aftermarket brace? I've looked at the designtek one, I messaged design 911 who stock them and they say the battery covers can't be refitted once this is installed. That puts me off. 

both of the RennLine jokers say you can fit the plastic cowl...

https://www.rennline.com/Strut-Braces/products/199/

and also, the DesignTek one looks very similar to that of the RennLine...

I'd be amazed if the covers don't fit as you kinda need them to be there!

My brace has turned up today, somewhat premature as my new car won't be here until Thursday! 😂

It's a 987.1 2008 MY so may not have the brackets. If I can't fit it I'll offer it here first 👍

• Like 1