Front Strut Brace Install

beaks

1 hour ago, Boxsum said:

Are these braces standard fit on 986’s?

Referred to as Dome Strut in the 986 parts catalogue.  No indications of fitment only to some types and all the cutaway drawings I've seen of the 986 show them fitted.  Can't even find them in the 987 parts cat.

That said the 987 shell is something like 30% stiffer than a 986 shell to start with.

Edited by ½cwt

9 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Referred to as Dome Strut in the 986 parts catalogue.  No indications of fitment only to some types and all the cutaway drawings I've seen of the 986 show them fitted.  Can't even find them in the 987 parts cat.

That said the 987 shell is something like 30% stiffer than a 986 shell to start with.

Was interested as when I was shown the top mounts from above today noticed that I have the braces fitted on my car 

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

you'll find them in the 997 catalog 👍

1 hour ago, beaks said:

you'll find them in the 997 catalog 👍

Didn't think of looking there... doh!

Does seem to be a curious mix of 987s with or without the turret brackets though if it is only listed as a 997 part and not in the 987 cat at all.

50 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Didn't think of looking there... doh!

Does seem to be a curious mix of 987s with or without the turret brackets though if it is only listed as a 997 part and not in the 987 cat at all.

yup it's strange. I wonder if only the 'S' variant had them?

or it may just be what they had spare floating around when they built the 987 😄

Sorry I’ve been lurking on here for a few days now and have just signed up. I’m new to Porsche ownership and have just sold my Elise S1 and bought my brothers Boxster that he’s had for 8 years.

I’ve just checked my 05 Boxster S and I have the brackets. How much are people looking for these kits that have bought them and can’t use them?

Edited by Jeansbeetle

On 3/30/2021 at 10:02 PM, Jeansbeetle said:

Sorry I’ve been lurking on here for a few days now and have just signed up. I’m new to Porsche ownership and have just sold my Elise S1 and bought my brothers Boxster that he’s had for 8 years.

I’ve just checked my 05 Boxster S and I have the brackets. How much are people looking for these kits that have bought them and can’t use them?

Not sure if you are sorted Jeans beetle but I only want what I paid + postage - £25 + post - I have the bulkhead bracket in the middle too - basically missing the bolts for the strut ends - everything else is there, as far as I can see

DM me for details [or anyone else if interested]

Edited by Dubdubz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

OK did it today. Faff trying to get the scuttle panel off. In the end I just lifted it up out of the way. Easy to get the bars in place except the PASM bracket was pushing the driver's side out of the way so I had to fiddle it a bit.

On the road something feels a bit different first 25mph corner you take. Just a tad more direct. First I didn't think it was any more solid over bumps but after a bit I decided it was. Just a bit.

First reasonably high speed corner you know something's changed. The front just bites down onto the road a bit harder and feels like it's doing more work somehow. That feeling you get when the rear digs into the road on the throttle - now I feel that at the front too. Pretty good for almost no money and a bit of cussing. Win.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am slightly confused. Do the cars really need this? It would be very unlike Porsche to miss a trick or am I missing something?

I have done a few track days in my 987.1 S and the car feels absolutely brilliant on the track. I can't think of anything that could be improved,  (maybe a few more horses).

Really interested to know someones genuine before and after findings, (on track).

1 hour ago, phazed said:

It would be very unlike Porsche to miss a trick

I think it's not so much missing a trick, and the cars are great, but remember they are mass produced and built to a budget. They have come with Bridgestone and Pirelli tyres which aren't universally loved on this board.  I hear these can be the icing on the cake, eg like the short-shift, or the GT3 master cylinder - my brakes were fine before but damn they're positive now.

If you're happy with it, don't bother. If you want to squeeze the max performance out of it, for relatively little outlay, go ahead. [Oh damn - or am I talking about the Bally brace at the rear?]

This brace set up (called dome strut by Porsche) is fitted to the 996/986  and it is also fitted to the 997.  Apparently some 987s have the necessary factory welded on brackets but no braces fitted, some do not have the brackets.  The front end of the 987/997 is a lot stiffer than the 986/996, so the factory I guess did not see the need to fit them to the 987 as a standard item and it does not appear in the parts cat for the 987 but is there in the 997 so is a direct fit.  All the parts listed in the first post on this thread are 996 related parts and go on to the factory fitted brackets.  So if you want one, check you have at least the welded brackets in place and then get the parts from that list and if it is not fitted, the central bulkhead bracket (Console bracket in Porsche speak) 997.504.359.01.

The Techno Brace/Bally Brace (available from @bally4563) is an after market hexagonal alloy bar that fits between the rear subframes and adds stiffness to reduce flexing under load.

Edited by ½cwt

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

This brace set up (called dome strut by Porsche) is fitted to the 996/986  and it is also fitted to the 997.  Apparently some 987s have the necessary factory welded on brackets but no braces fitted, some do not have the brackets.  The front end of the 987/997 is a lot stiffer than the 986/996, so the factory I guess did not see the need to fit them to the 987 as a standard item and it does not appear in the parts cat for the 987 but is there in the 997 so is a direct fit.  All the parts listed in the first post on this thread are 996 related parts and go on to the factory fitted brackets.  So if you want one, check you have at least the welded brackets in place and then get the parts from that list and if it is not fitted, the central bulkhead bracket (Console bracket in Porsche speak) 997.504.359.01.

The Techno Brace/Bally Brace (available from @bally4563) is an after market hexagonal alloy bar that fits between the rear subframes and adds stiffness to reduce flexing under load.

Bally Brace, still available, to order, just need to know if it’s for a 986 or 987 manual, have developed one for a Tiptronic, @Nobbie has one for his not sure if he has fitted it though?

I fitted a front strut brace that goes between the Turrets, and you can’t see that, fits underneath the plastic covers, without looking can’t remember what make it is, and for the cost ( bought secondhand for £50) at that price I thought it was worth a go, wether placebo effect, not sure but prior to fitting my cup holder cover kepted springing open, doesn’t now !!

On 3/12/2022 at 2:40 PM, JonSta said:

Thanks for the link @JonSta. I’ve just popped the bonnet and there are the brackets that I’ve never noticed before, so I’ve ordered one based on the positive feedback here. 

I would still like to hear some definitive proof that these add ons do something.

I track a Skoda vRS. Every handling upgrade has made a difference. Upgraded ARB's, coilovers, stiffer springs, quick rack, bushing, alloy wishbones etc, etc. So I well understand upgrades.

When I did Cadwell last year, (in the Boxster) PASM on, flat out down the back straight, ease  off just before Coppice, (left hander) and take it at about 90-95mph. Everything feels planted without the slightest wobble from the car. Oh, I track with a set of Toyo R888's fitted. Point is as Bally suggested, is it a placebo effect?

59 minutes ago, BBB said:

Thanks for the link @JonSta. I’ve just popped the bonnet and there are the brackets that I’ve never noticed before, so I’ve ordered one based on the positive feedback here. 

Remember you need all the bits in the kit list, or at least equivalent bolts instead, listed in the very first post.

• Like 1