Front Strut Brace Install

beaks

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

Umm as the part doesn't exist there can't be a torque value.  OK it exists on a 911. I just did them up reasonably tight. I checked them a few weeks later and they were fine.

Same here, just tightened them until they were reasonably tight. You could use low-break thread locking fluid if you were at all worried.

• 3 months later...

Just fitted this to my 987.2 using the parts list from the first page. 

all fitted no problem. 

only things which maybe a Gen 2 car specific item are the central ‘legs’ have body clips in not bolts on my car and you have to remove the two bolts holding the  metal cage over the air filter as well. 

on mine there was also an additional lead which had to be disconnected but that maybe tracker / vts or similar. 

Just why tuppence worth, again.

After doing another track day in my 987.1 last week, I still can’t except that these struts are anything but a placebo effect. My car is completely standard. I run it on sport setting and sticky track tyres. Taking corners at speeds of 90 mph, the car feels perfectly planted. Steering rocksteady, no scuttle shake, car feeling exceptionally stable with all four tyres slightly drifting across the track. How these little bits of metal can make any difference to a body shell that is designed to be stiff is beyond me. Even if it did make the tiniest bit of difference, you would never feel it at road speeds. Do yourselves a favour and book up a track day. You will see what I mean. You will be doing speeds on corners like you have never thought the car  would do. In the afternoon, I followed a race driver for a very short while on a couple of occasions. He was driving an Exige 380. Believe me, the Porsche wasn’t that far behind him in the corners, although I certainly was left on the straights! These really are exceptional cars in standard form. Save your money, spend it on fuel and go for a drive, (or a track day….).

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 11:48 AM, phazed said:

After doing another track day in my 987.1 last week, I still can’t except that these struts are anything but a placebo effect. My car is completely standard. I run it on sport setting and sticky track tyres. Taking corners at speeds of 90 mph, the car feels perfectly planted. Steering rocksteady, no scuttle shake, car feeling exceptionally stable with all four tyres slightly drifting across the track. How these little bits of metal can make any difference to a body shell that is designed to be stiff is beyond me. Even if it did make the tiniest bit of difference, you would never feel it at road speeds. Do yourselves a favour and book up a track day. You will see what I mean. You will be doing speeds on corners like you have never thought the car  would do. In the afternoon, I followed a race driver for a very short while on a couple of occasions. He was driving an Exige 380. Believe me, the Porsche wasn’t that far behind him in the corners, although I certainly was left on the straights! These really are exceptional cars in standard form. Save your money, spend it on fuel and go for a drive, (or a track day….).

Well i've run my car on track several times without them so i'll tell you if I think it makes a difference with them.

TBH for the little it costs to do it - why not?

Will be interesting to hear if you do notice a difference, which I doubt. Best to try and notice a difference when on track. Always easy to think that something makes a difference.

Will be interesting to hear if you do notice a difference, which I doubt. Best to try and notice a difference when on track. Always easy to think that something makes a difference.

It’s always made me smile when I had TVR’s. You would read on the forum that someone with a 300 BHP engine, that they noticed the difference, when fitting smoothbore silicon hoses, that probably added three BHP!

On 5/21/2023 at 11:48 AM, phazed said:

Oh get a grip man! For all they cost! I think I paid £25. Just allow those that have fitted it to be happy👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, phazed said:

It’s always made me smile when I had TVR’s. You would read on the forum that someone with a 300 BHP engine, that they noticed the difference, when fitting smoothbore silicon hoses, that probably added three BHP!

Well back to back testing on the road - there is a difference in steering feel.  

Does that actually translate to improved performance or capability beyond a slight difference in steering sensation? Who knows, I'll have a better idea after I get it on track at the end of next month.

There must have been a reason for Porsche to fit them to the 986, and another reason why they decided not to fit them to the 987. I’m sure it wasn’t cost for a car of the calibre.

The 987 is up to 30% stiffer than the 986 depending which measurement test is used.  But the 996 and 997 have them fitted.  Good enough for a 997, probably a benefit on a 987 too.  As to anyone who isn't a test driver in Stuttgart being able to detect it in day to day driving, well....

Edited by ½cwt

Just to add my two penny worth. Following this thread I found a set of the bars for all of £26 on eBay and I think they made a noticeable difference. 
l’ve never been on a track but on the roads around here the car seems to be noticeably better behaved over bumps. I don’t think I can detect any difference on smooth roads but this is Kent where they like to mount all the manhole covers 2 inches below the surface and the car is far less upset by them. For the money they are definitely worthwhile. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1