Front Strut Brace Install

beaks

Installed this today, thanks @beaks for the excellent instructions. 

The only things I can add to the original post are:

- it’s a great chance to polytrol the whole scuttle whilst it’s off

- my scuttle bowed away from the centre of the windscreen when I tightened all the fixings. It sat much better when I loosened them slightly, pushed one end down and tightened that, then swapped to the other end and finally did the two behind the battery area.

15 hours ago, BBB said:

Installed this today, thanks @beaks for the excellent instructions. 

The only things I can add to the original post are:

- it’s a great chance to polytrol the whole scuttle whilst it’s off

- my scuttle bowed away from the centre of the windscreen when I tightened all the fixings. It sat much better when I loosened them slightly, pushed one end down and tightened that, then swapped to the other end and finally did the two behind the battery area.

Make sure and tell your insurance co it’s been fitted. A side impact will now affect both sides of the car - turret to turret. Better letting them know than not. 

6 minutes ago, Angus76 said:

Make sure and tell your insurance co it’s been fitted. A side impact will now affect both sides of the car - turret to turret. Better letting them know than not. 

It’s an interesting thought. I don’t know how they would know whether it wasn’t fitted as standard, as it’s a Porsche option, or by a previous owner without my knowledge as it’s completely hidden once fitted.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Angus76 said:

Given it goes from turret to a fixed point on the bulkhead, turret to turret is less likely, but that sort of damaged could come close to writing off older 987s with or without these factory components fitted.  If they were a aftermarket design then you would potentially be in a different place.

1 hour ago, BBB said:

It’s an interesting thought. I don’t know how they would know whether it wasn’t fitted as standard, as it’s a Porsche option, or by a previous owner without my knowledge as it’s completely hidden once fitted.

This

But this is the same argument for all mods. So unless they are painted bright colours and easily noticeable all mods can be unknown to the current owner.  I'd suspect the ins co will have a way to wiggle out of any claim if you try to use this excuse.

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

I'd be surprised it they realised it wasn't a stock part. Or even looked.

When my Alfa 75 was written off it was modded all over the place. The inpector didn't have a clue.

Besides this 'mod' is entirely factory parts onto factory fitted mountings, so not even an argument it wasn't designed for it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Besides this 'mod' is entirely factory parts onto factory fitted mountings, so not even an argument it wasn't designed for it.

Yep, each part has Porsche numbers on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Only works if you have the brackets welded to the front suspension turrets on your shell, not all 987s have them and the dome strut brace is not listed in the 987.2 parts cat, so check before you buy.

On 5/1/2022 at 4:25 PM, Del_tl1000r said:

Noticed yesterday when I was replacing the top mount bearings that I have the brackets welded in place for these. Mine is a 2009, 2.9.

He had already checked.

17 hours ago, Del_tl1000r said:

👍👍

Have asked the seller if this fits my car. He says it won't. He says the gen 2 is slightly different. I've asked what the difference is but not had a reply yet. Do you know if this is the case BBB?

27 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Have asked the seller if this fits my car. He says it won't. He says the gen 2 is slightly different. I've asked what the difference is but not had a reply yet. Do you know if this is the case BBB?

I've looked up the 997.2 parts and the braces, bushed and bolts are the same as 986 and 996, but the centre bracket for the 997.1 and 997.2 are a 997 number.

Based on the 997.2 parts cat (drawing 801-015), list of part you need would be:

996 504 233 01 - left brace

996 504 234 01 - right brace

997 504 359 01 - Console (centre bracket)

996 504 633 00 - Filler, left (bush for brace)

996 504 634 00 - Filler, right (bush for brace)

900 378 100 09 - M10 x 45 hex bolt - 2 off

900 075 010 09 - M6 x 12 hex bolt - 4 off

900 378 173 01 - M6 x 20 hex bolt - 4 off

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Del_tl1000r said:

👍👍

54 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

I’m sorry, I don’t know the differences, but based on the post above you may get most of the correct parts anyway. It’s your choice of course, but at that cost I would risk it and buy it. I then bought any missing pieces (in my case the two central bushes) and the bolts as they were cheap from OPC. If it doesn’t fit then put it back on ebay or accept that you wasted not a lot of money.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Interestingly the compatibility list on the Status Porsche eBay listing you have linked to does include the 987.2, '09-'12 model years.... but shows as coming off a 986 so will be the older part number for the middle bracket.  Worst case would appear to be that you'd need to buy the middle console bracket which is around £100 from an OPC. 

Edited by ½cwt

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Interestingly the compatibility list on the Status Porsche eBay listing you have linked to does include the 987.2, '09-'12 model years.... but shows as coming off a 986 so will be the older part number for the middle bracket.  Worst case would appear to be that you'd need to buy the middle console bracket which is around £100 from an OPC. 

Thanks again. If that's the case I'll probably just leave it. It appealed to me as a cheap mod. I'll see what he comes back with 👍