Front Strut Brace Install

beaks

Well he didn't get back to my message. Guessing he doesn't know the difference or can't be arsed to check the part numbers so I've bought the kit anyway. Accepted an offer of £25 so quite happy with that. Be interesting to see if I notice any difference once I fit it. Thanks for the info guys.

29 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

Cheers but got them for £25.

3 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Parts arrived today. I have a question for those who have fitted this. A 10mm bolt through the brace is a rattling good fit. Surely the brace should have a bush/sleeve to take up the space? Doesn't seem right to me🤔

If you mean the centre brace on the bulkhead, then yes, each side has a split bush around the bolts. They are listed in the first post. The four smaller bolts onto the strut towers don’t have anything.

I seem to have all the parts listed. I'm talking about the small piece of tube at the end of each brace. I haven't measured it yet but the internal diameter appears to be approximately 14mm. This is where the 10mm bolt will pass through. This just doesn't appear correct to me.

2 hours ago, Del_tl1000r said:

I seem to have all the parts listed. I'm talking about the small piece of tube at the end of each brace. I haven't measured it yet but the internal diameter appears to be approximately 14mm. This is where the 10mm bolt will pass through. This just doesn't appear correct to me.

I see what you mean, but it’s not an issue. The centre brace is threaded at the bottom so the bolt is secure when tightened and the tube is held by the split bushes. There is no rattling at all when tightened. 

18 minutes ago, BBB said:

I see what you mean, but it’s not an issue. The centre brace is threaded at the bottom so the bolt is secure when tightened and the tube is held by the split bushes. There is no rattling at all when tightened. 

2 hours ago, BBB said:

If you mean the centre brace on the bulkhead, then yes, each side has a split bush around the bolts. They are listed in the first post. The four smaller bolts onto the strut towers don’t have anything.

17 minutes ago, BBB said:

The bore measures 13.8mm so I ended up making a bush on the lathe to fit and a bore of 10.5mm for the bolt. Hopefully it'll fit ok.

IMG20230108004447

IMG20230108004522

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 9:57 PM, Del_tl1000r said:

Parts arrived today. I have a question for those who have fitted this. A 10mm bolt through the brace is a rattling good fit. Surely the brace should have a bush/sleeve to take up the space? Doesn't seem right to me🤔

Still can't see how these can possibly work...especially if bolts and bushes have play.

Bolts should be shouldered and an interference fit at the very least.

You will not feel any difference on the road, it is impossible. Difference on track is debatable.

The Boxster has a very strong shell due to not having the strength of a roof so will be stronger in these areas than a 911 surely?

aimho of course, (and man logic).

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Still can't see how these can possibly work...especially if bolts and bushes have play.

Bolts should be shouldered and an interference fit at the very least.

You will not feel any difference on the road, it is impossible. Difference on track is debatable.

The Boxster has a very strong shell due to not having the strength of a roof so will be stronger in these areas than a 911 surely?

aimho of course, (and man logic).

The 987 shell is some 30% stiffer than the 986 and is not fitted with these braces as standard, although the 997 is.

Fully agree that the bolt should have a plain shank and should be a snug fit to be truly effective, unless the bushes are there to transfer load like a suspension bush rather than being a fully stiff bracing.  Who knows?

25 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

Well I don't have the welded plates on my front shock towers to make them fit to my car so I'm choosing to believe that they don't do anything anyway! 

>SticksFingersInEarsAndWhistlesLoudly<

😆

The 987 Cayman does not have the parts listed even as an option, just like the 987 Boxster in the parts cat.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:02 PM, BBB said:

On 1/8/2023 at 12:37 AM, BBB said:

The bore measures 13.8mm so I ended up making a bush on the lathe to fit and a bore of 10.5mm for the bolt. Hopefully it'll fit ok.

Making an ar*e of this!!!!

Anyhow, that's them fitted. Had to take the bushes I made out. Could get the 10 mm bolts started but if I'd went any further with them they'd have cross threaded. Seems to be a slight angle in the bracket. Certainly seems solid enough once it's all bolted together. Not driven it yet but I'm doubtful if I'll notice anything.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Not driven it yet but I'm doubtful if I'll notice anything.

Don’t be so negative. You’ll get improved fuel economy, faster turn in, better tyre life, stronger erections, more meaningful conversations, etc, etc  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Thought the 987.2 boxster had a thicker middle bulkhead , you know the one in front of the battery .Along with other added thickness bits hear n there compared to a Cayman or the previous gen 987.1 and 986 …..the strut brace is or was redundant.

Additionally Counterintuitively “ on the limit ‘ a tiny bit of turret movement ( if such is the case ) actually might enhance the contact patch of the rubber in the 987.2 s case .It all depends on over variables like ARB dia and stiffness and gen suspension geo as well as tyre side wall properties.

I am betting in theory on the early 09 987.2 boxsters they in a autopilot way with the added welded plates on the struts ( common item shared sure ) they added a brace .Hence the part numbers listed .

Then test tracked it and road tested it ,during that development recognised something adverse may be steering shake , transmission of excess vibration or sone other not so good thing on public roads so removed this brace to dial said adverse attribute( s) out l.

Realising perhaps the 30 % stiffer body shell , has slightly over cooked it or was enough from a turret geo pov .A tiny ever so tiny flex at the limit or over public bad pot holed roads s beneficial…..not a commonly believed detriment to the ride + handling .

As others have said a focused track car on smooth tarmac , stiffer shocks , lowered , lower profile tyres ,bigger roofing radius dia wheels ,meven more Hp and better CCB brakes , poly bushes ,lighter suspension components ie the whole hog then a turret strut brace on a 987.2 boxster might make a difference to a professional driver .

As time went by ie 10 to 12 yrs they dropped the brackets which is where we are now .

Now the “ Bally bar “ at the rear ……that’s different because.
Yes the motor sits twixt struts and the rear fatter tyre along with the weight will tend to put a lot of force on the struts .But think about it do you need a little movement in extremis , a tiny difference of strut alignment when cornering in terms of rear wheel steering ?  Again you have to consider the total package .

At the end of the day theses two mods are not a lot of £ and if the car feels better so be it .

For me I am not sure still sat on the fence .I feel the std 987.2 is pretty stiff for a road car .

5 hours ago, Boxer boy said:

Thought the 987.2 boxster had a thicker middle bulkhead , you know the one in front of the battery .Along with other added thickness bits hear n there compared to a Cayman or the previous gen 987.1 and 986 …..the strut brace is or was redundant.

Additionally Counterintuitively “ on the limit ‘ a tiny bit of turret movement ( if such is the case ) actually might enhance the contact patch of the rubber in the 987.2 s case .It all depends on over variables like ARB dia and stiffness and gen suspension geo as well as tyre side wall properties.

I am betting in theory on the early 09 987.2 boxsters they in a autopilot way with the added welded plates on the struts ( common item shared sure ) they added a brace .Hence the part numbers listed .

Then test tracked it and road tested it ,during that development recognised something adverse may be steering shake , transmission of excess vibration or sone other not so good thing on public roads so removed this brace to dial said adverse attribute( s) out l.

Realising perhaps the 30 % stiffer body shell , has slightly over cooked it or was enough from a turret geo pov .A tiny ever so tiny flex at the limit or over public bad pot holed roads s beneficial…..not a commonly believed detriment to the ride + handling .

As others have said a focused track car on smooth tarmac , stiffer shocks , lowered , lower profile tyres ,bigger roofing radius dia wheels ,meven more Hp and better CCB brakes , poly bushes ,lighter suspension components ie the whole hog then a turret strut brace on a 987.2 boxster might make a difference to a professional driver .

As time went by ie 10 to 12 yrs they dropped the brackets which is where we are now .

Now the “ Bally bar “ at the rear ……that’s different because.
Yes the motor sits twixt struts and the rear fatter tyre along with the weight will tend to put a lot of force on the struts .But think about it do you need a little movement in extremis , a tiny difference of strut alignment when cornering in terms of rear wheel steering ?  Again you have to consider the total package .

At the end of the day theses two mods are not a lot of £ and if the car feels better so be it .

For me I am not sure still sat on the fence .I feel the std 987.2 is pretty stiff for a road car .

Are you saying that you arrived at all of these conclusions without trying either or have I misread?

• Like 1

Just a short clip from the last day I did at Cadwell Park without a strut brace...Still can't see why one would make a difference in these well sorted cars. Mine is standard apart from tyres.

If you haven't taken your car on track, do. It's the most fun you can have!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well...did 70 miles in it yesterday. Mix of motorway, dual carriageway, A roads and several roundabouts. I'm noticing a difference in the steering. The steering as we all know is superb on the Boxster but now It feels sharper, like the tiniest of movements has it changing direction. Having just serviced it and fitted my Royal steering wheel I wasn't focusing on any changes in how the car drives due to the strut braces so I don't think it's a placebo. It does feel different. Not massively but I enjoyed how it felt and that's what they're all about.

• Like 3

Way I feel about it is this - when you're accelerating through a corner the rear wheels feel absolutely planted. You don't feel anything wrong with the front until you do the braces then suddenly the fronts feel as planted as the backs. Also the steering wheel seems less prone to wriggling over bumps. It won't change your life but it's just nicer.

I suspect the reason some cars have the brackets and some don't is that the inner wing is the same on the 997 so perhaps when stocks were low of the boxster part (without brackets) they went next door and pinched a few from the 911 parts store. Can't see any other logic.

• 2 weeks later...