Thinking of grilles...thoughts?

Camels

OK been thinking of getting some front grilles for a little while but not been a major priority recently due to lack of driving opportunity between lockdown, snow, etc...

Any suggestions/recommendations?  I presume Zunsport are the ones to go for - with a £150 price tag (incl. 20% discount) for the silver - but can't decide whether silver or black would suit best on an Aqua Blue, what do you lot think? 

Also have people gone for all 3 grilles or just the little ones to protect the A/C condensers?  I know on my MX-5 many years ago I fitted one in the "mouth" area as the radiator was quite vulnerable on that car but didn't have the A/C issue there as it was a Mk 1.

I’ve just fitted black Zunsports to my black 987S. I only fitted the outer grilles as there seemed little point in protecting a dummy centre slot. £80 for the two, using the forum discount code. I’ve seen posts where people think they are too obvious, but black on black seems to work well and as mine has new condensers I think it’s a sensible precaution against damage.

Have seen a couple of Boxsters with the silvers grills and it really accentuates them. Personally find the black ones look far better. 

pic for illustration

Machine polished

3 hours ago, Camels said:

OK been thinking of getting some front grilles for a little while but not been a major priority recently due to lack of driving opportunity between lockdown, snow, etc...

Any suggestions/recommendations?  I presume Zunsport are the ones to go for - with a £150 price tag (incl. 20% discount) for the silver - but can't decide whether silver or black would suit best on an Aqua Blue, what do you lot think? 

Also have people gone for all 3 grilles or just the little ones to protect the A/C condensers?  I know on my MX-5 many years ago I fitted one in the "mouth" area as the radiator was quite vulnerable on that car but didn't have the A/C issue there as it was a Mk 1.

Everyone has there pref, to be honest thought the zunsports looked a bit unsightly (to me), so chose....https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Good luck with whatever choice, most certainly a worthwhile investment....All the best, M

1 hour ago, MAC99V said:

Everyone has there pref, to be honest thought the zunsports looked a bit unsightly (to me), so chose....https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Good luck with whatever choice, most certainly a worthwhile investment....All the best, M

Hmmm...yeah those did look interesting at $79.88 - until I noticed that shipping to UK woud be an additional $81.66!!

So probably still Zun for me, probaby more inclined towards the black at the moment I must say

1 hour ago, Camels said:

Hmmm...yeah those did look interesting at $79.88 - until I noticed that shipping to UK woud be an additional $81.66!!

So probably still Zun for me, probaby more inclined towards the black at the moment I must say

Not Aqua but Lapiz blue 3.2 986 and I put all 3 Zunsports on as there's a rectangular rad behind the centre opening on the 3.2 986. I don't like the stock silver fins on the 986 so thought these were perfect as I can always unclip them when selling the car as there's a 2nd hand market for them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154389669@N02/50959696546/in/dateposted-public/

2 hours ago, Camels said:

wow, most certainly wasn't that expensive for shipping when i got mine, around 18months back tho. I was sold on it purely because they sit behind the biased, not in front, that was the deal closer for me....Don't have any contacts in the states that could send them via alternative means? gift instead of taxed purchase?....

2 hours ago, Camels said:

Camels......mine with the grills, prefer seeing the blades.....

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 16.58.23

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Save money and spend time by removing the bumper and cutting some B&Q mesh to suit - it's your time/money.

Very much this. Put the savings towards beer or petrol, as you choose. 

If B&Q is a bit too .... DIY for you then you can buy apiary mesh instead. It's a fine black mesh which is quite hard to see once installed but does the job very well. Cutting it is fiddly but not hard. Buy the epoxy-coated stainless stuff and it'll never rust. 

Here's some: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133325623405?var=432730828243&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&chn=ps

I got this for my 986 to do the same job:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Aluminium-Racing-Grille-Net-Vent-Race-Car-Tuning-25x100cm-Mesh-3-5x5mm/121768076226 

Seems to have a good powder coat finish and ali so no rust plus easier to cut than stainless.

I just got the grilles from www.radiatorgrillstore.com and they are great. A doddle to fit behind the blades without removing the bumper. They come supplied with zip ties in place which are completely hidden when fitted and clipped.

Eric, the business owner, told me their website auto-generates the $80+ shipping quote, but he sorted out sending them via FedEx using a broker for just over $50. Still expensive shipping, but they arrived in just two days. If you email him, I’m sure he’ll do the same for you. 

1 hour ago, zcacogp said:

Nice. And it has the word 'Racing' in the title so it's guaranteed to add at least 50 bazillion horsepower. 

Actually in theory it will add drag by putting a bit more blockage into the vent so effectively sap some power.  At least it will keep out the leaves and some of the crud that makes the rads and condensers rot.....

13 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Nice. And it has the word 'Racing' in the title so it's guaranteed to add at least 50 bazillion horsepower. 

I hate those headline figures.  Is that real-world, accounting for transmission losses?

2 hours ago, mavis.d said:

I have a pair of the outer grilles in chrome if you are interested. Fitted once not used

Thanks for the offer @mavis.d  - trying to decide which colour to go for, will give you a shout if it's chrome.

I think I've decided on the black for a more subtle look, and also think I prefer to have them behind the "fins" like on @MAC99V's one, rather than in front of them like on @Pinewood's - will email them as suggested by @Bayernlarge and see what they say about postage, if they end up $130 that should £90 so cheaper than Zunsport even with the 20% discount at £108 so not a price issue either.

Thanks for the suggestions and particularly all who took the time & effort to post pics - very helpful!

1 hour ago, Camels said:

think I prefer to have them behind the "fins"

I'm with you on this, just as functional but more discreet. I'll also go for black, it's the nearest in appearance to the original void.

They Radiatorgrillstore shipping price is calculated by volume, rather than weight. Given the high shipping prices currently, it might be worth anyone interested clubbing together and combining the international shipping cost. There should be space in the box for a few pairs.

if you ask Eric nicely, he might give you a discount code  it’s small, but every little helps.

Remember that you might need to pay import tax/duty, but I got lucky and wasn’t charged.

Here's a couple of pics of mine installed if it helps to see them on a black car.

You'll notice they don't have the thicker edging as shown on their website. Eric told me they updated the design as some people didn't like it.

They're basically just metal mesh, pre-cut to shape, edged, powder-coated and supplied with two pre-positioned black plastic cable ties on each. Very simple, expensive for what they are I suppose, but dead easy to fit, neat and should save expensive damage.

img%5Dimg%5D

Archived