Facelift Roof on Original Car

½cwt

To conclude, I've booked a slot with Gary Hubbard to replace the vinyl window in the existing hood next month.  I just couldn't justify the extra £500+ which I can keep to go against what is likely to be the next major expense, maybe the exhaust system but who knows for sure, even if hopefully a couple of years away yet...  I might look back in future and think I missed an opportunity on a blue facelift hood.

• 1 month later...

As the thread says I eventually opted to remain with the original hood and vinyl window.  @gary hubbard fitted the new rear screen to my hood today.  Very nice knowledgeable chap to hang around with for a couple of hours on a sunny Sunday!  Also gave some useful advice on the condition of the leather on my seats and some options to improve them.

Definitely worth considering if you hood fabric is in good condition (according to Gary, mine is) given the cost vs a new hood with glass that is compromised on an early car or a hideously expensive facelift old hood from a breaker

Some before, during and after pictures below:

Before:

lDXI874.jpg 

SPlEt3x.jpg 

J4ft60X.jpg 

During:

NNaYG7H.jpg 

o7jEIdk.jpg 

4WonLV4.jpg 

SIVrPik.jpg 

After:

kIgg8LU.jpg 

kIgg8LU.jpg 

fh8SLXz.jpg 

@1/2cwt glad to hear that Gary is still doing a top job, as I have said before still really pleased with mine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks brilliant! How do you understand if it is aftermarket or genuine? I have some issues with the soft top, for example, it is not flush to passenger side window. You can easily see the inside from that area.  I tried but I am afraid that I will rip it up because of too much tension. 

soft-top.thumb.jpg.c6851d5e9edf079cacb22c3337ec491e.jpg

10 hours ago, femreg said:

Looks brilliant! How do you understand if it is aftermarket or genuine? I have some issues with the soft top, for example, it is not flush to passenger side window. You can easily see the inside from that area.  I tried but I am afraid that I will rip it up because of too much tension. 

soft-top.thumb.jpg.c6851d5e9edf079cacb22c3337ec491e.jpg

The only clue I can give you is that an OE roof with the vinyl window only has a single row of stitching as in my pictures above. Also the vinyl has no branding mark on it.

Archived