Facelift Roof on Original Car

½cwt

I have a small split in the bottom corner of the vinyl rear window of my 2000 model year roof.  I have found a replacement genuine facelift hood in the correct colour off a 2004 car so glass, headed and with the extra hoop so engine access in the service position is not a problem and the window is not a letter box.

Dilemma keep original profile with a new vinyl window or replace with a genuine used facelift hood at 3½ time the cost? 🤔 I guess it might add a bit of value to the car but it would take my total spend (including purchase and upgrades) on an only average nearly 100k miles Boxster to around £10k.  Other than being a tight git by nature I have the cash, just whether to spend it.

Would like to hear from someone that has done this with a genuine roof, plus opinions user experience and value.

Is originality really important to you? 3.5 times the cost of a new sewn panel for a second hand roof seems high for price though. 

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

Try and find a cheaper roof. 

Wasn't there one on here for £250 recently.? 

Not a genuine facelift Porsche roof.  I looked at the £250 one and it was in very poor condition on the back edge under the window and a trimmer advised agianst it as an after market item so more difficult to repair. 

A new hood fabric with a narrow glass window to fit on old frame is still about 3 times the price of replacement vinyl. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

Is originality really important to you? 3.5 times the cost of a new sewn panel for a second hand roof seems high for price though. 

The colour of mine is what's making it rare, plus the price I ahve for a new sewn panel is very competitive.

38 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The colour of mine is what's making it rare, plus the price I ahve for a new sewn panel is very competitive.

If it's £150 Vs £525 I'd change the roof. If it's £350 Vs £1,225 I'd have a much harder think! 

I still think the the car hood warehouse one is excellent value fully fitted around £700, but you are right this does offer slightly  less access to the engine bay, the smaller window is really not an issues as you don’t notice due to the hoops restricting some visibility anyway.

2 hours ago, edc said:

If it's £150 Vs £525 I'd change the roof. If it's £350 Vs £1,225 I'd have a much harder think! 

the roof is just under £850 all in and the window only just under £250 so half way in your range! 

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Not a genuine facelift Porsche roof.  I looked at the £250 one and it was in very poor condition on the back edge under the window and a trimmer advised agianst it as an after market item so more difficult to repair. 

A new hood fabric with a narrow glass window to fit on old frame is still about 3 times the price of replacement vinyl. 

Not such a bargain then. 

£850 for a used roof isn't either though. 

For me £250 for a new sewn in window is about what I would expect as a middling price. £850 for a second hand roof seems expensive but must admit it's not a price I track. When you consider a brand new aftermarket one is £600-700 it doesn't appear particularly good value. 

I've raised this before but if you can find and buy clear TPU sheet then that would be a significant improvement. It's as optically correct as glass, folds in any temperature and does not crease or crack so no more need to do a Boxster chop.

As used on the BMW Z8 so it has been used by the automotive industry.

I have a search every now and then but can only buy it in huge volume. It would be good to find a supplier of a modest amount.

@1/2cwt I had my plastic window replaced by @GaryHubbard in Loughborough for if I remember rightly £250, top job using the original sewing holes, using the same plastic that Porsche use. That was 4-5 years ago and it is still in great condition, no leaks etc. He even gave the hood frame a service @ same time. Top bloke would recommend if you want to stay original.

22 minutes ago, Boxob said:

I've raised this before but if you can find and buy clear TPU sheet then that would be a significant improvement. It's as optically correct as glass, folds in any temperature and does not crease or crack so no more need to do a Boxster chop.

As used on the BMW Z8 so it has been used by the automotive industry.

I have a search every now and then but can only buy it in huge volume. It would be good to find a supplier of a modest amount.

This looks promising:

https://gbr.grandado.com/products/ultra-transparent-tpu-environmental-friendly-polyester-film-material?variant=37472619659413#addCart:3

I would go with a good secondhand face lift roof, did this on my first 986S, but there again dropped on a bargain, blue in excellent condition £180, collection only in Cheltenham, guess where I was working the following week..... 5 mile from Cheltenham!!!

I would take a look at BAS International as they use the same glass as the 987 and looks a lot better than the car hood warehouse one and believe it’s cheaper too! 
You still have the restriction to the engine bay thou but I guess you don’t go in there very often.

6 hours ago, Toddie said:

@1/2cwt I had my plastic window replaced by @GaryHubbard in Loughborough for if I remember rightly £250, top job using the original sewing holes, using the same plastic that Porsche use. That was 4-5 years ago and it is still in great condition, no leaks etc. He even gave the hood frame a service @ same time. Top bloke would recommend if you want to stay original.

Gary is my vinyl replacement option...

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I would go with a good secondhand face lift roof, did this on my first 986S, but there again dropped on a bargain, blue in excellent condition £180, collection only in Cheltenham, guess where I was working the following week..... 5 mile from Cheltenham!!!

That's the feedback I was looking for an 'original' owner with a facelift hood.  Dead envious of that price Mick!

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

Gary is my vinyl replacement option...

That's the feedback I was looking for an 'original' owner with a facelift hood.  Dead envious of that price Mick!

Yep if you decide to go with the vinyl replacement, as Toddie says, the job that Gary Hubbard does is spot on.

Just now, jonogt6 said:

Yep if you decide to go with the vinyl replacement, as Toddie says, the job that Gary Hubbard does is spot on.

I am leaning that way.  Seeing if I can get a move on the facelift hood price first though but not that hopeful, the seller know what the market will stand even if my pocket won't.

I’ve been considering similar, but the couple of facelift hoods I’ve seen up for sale have looked to be close to end of life, particularly around the rear base of the roof.  I’m sure many are still good, but even the youngest will be getting on for 17 years old.

Look at it another way, you could pay £800 for a s/h roof or you could have Gary Hubbard fit 3 new windows to your existing item! and still have enough for some petrol.

1 hour ago, Toddie said:

Look at it another way, you could pay £800 for a s/h roof or you could have Gary Hubbard fit 3 new windows to your existing item! and still have enough for some petrol.

For £800 you could probably have Bifolds! French windows at least.

2 hours ago, Toddie said:

I am leaning this way.  Not sure the benefits of a glass window are worth an extra £500+...

Archived