X73 Sport suspension - Should I ??

villaman

9 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

OK so the day has come. Car dropped off hopefully I won’t regret the decision to go with the X73 Sports Suspension Package 👍 BMW MSport 340i for a day as a loan car. Lovely car but just doesn’t float my boat as a weekend make you feel good car. If you know what I mean 😂😎👍

Had X73 fitted years ago, never looked back. Tis like running on railway lines and aesthetically looks so much better.

• Thanks 1

Picked the car up and first impression is visually it’s a massive improvement. Obviously I’ve only driven from my local OPC but I’m not overly aware during inner city driving that’s it’s notably stiffer. Except when I went over some rumble strips entering a 30mph zone. It really rumbles 😂😎👍
Hopefully I’ll get out to play on some nice A roads tomorrow to get a better feel for the improvements on handling 👍 

If someone with more know how than me could send an email to me via DM I’ll forward some before and after photos you can post up. I’m useless when it comes to IT and can’t post pics 😳😂👍

Edited by Ringmaster999

Are you running 19 or 20" wheels?

I'd be interested in your feedback if 19's  I found it rather soft and bouncy on my winter 19's.

For pictures you need to host on the wen then link in.  I just set up a free account on flickr

5 hours ago, Patt said:

Are you running 19 or 20" wheels?

I'd be interested in your feedback if 19's  I found it rather soft and bouncy on my winter 19's.

For pictures you need to host on the wen then link in.  I just set up a free account on flickr

19inch wheels. I think winter tyres are not going to really give you a true appraisal due to the make up of the tyre. This is what I think-

So been out today for about 160 miles and covered all road types other than motorway. Everything I say is of course just my opinion as this sort of topic is very subjective.
Simplest way I suppose is to answer questions I’ve asked.
1 Does the car look visually more pleasing? Yes
2 Does the car feel more stiffly sprung? Yes
3 Has it spoilt the car when just driving around very sedately? No
4 Has it effected the entry in and out of the car being its 20 mm lower? No not for me
5 Has it improved the cars handling when things get a little more spirited? Oh yes considerably 
6 Does it get uncomfortable and a bit of a bone shaker when driving more spirited? No
7 Could I live with it if it was my daily? Yes I could
8 What will the Mrs think? Don’t know but I’ll ask her following R10’s rally in two weeks where we will be covering probably in excess of 600 miles as we are staying in Northampton for a break after the rally.

So basically I’m very pleased with it. The car just feels more planted than when it was standard especially when driving spiritedly. I suppose if I was buying a brand new car then PASM is probably the way forward being the best of both worlds I suppose. Although I’ve never driven a car with PASM so I’m only going on what I’ve read and been told by others. Hope this helps

I have PASM, which i think lowers the car by 10mm. When you say it is visually improved do you mean that it is lower (20mm?) Can i have the X73 suspension with PASM? , and i you dont mind me asking what is the cost for the modification.  Thanks alan

55 minutes ago, alank said:

I have PASM, which i think lowers the car by 10mm. When you say it is visually improved do you mean that it is lower (20mm?) Can i have the X73 suspension with PASM? , and i you dont mind me asking what is the cost for the modification.  Thanks alan

Yes the stance of the car is greatly improved visually by the 20mm lowering and the wheels as a result fill the arches better. 
No you cannot have the full X73 kit if your car is PASM but you can put the stiffer anti roll bars in. Check out @daz05Test Drive Scotland YouTube channel where this is done on Daz’s car. 👍

• 5 months later...
On 6/15/2021 at 6:14 PM, Ringmaster999 said:

Picked the car up and first impression is visually it’s a massive improvement. Obviously I’ve only driven from my local OPC but I’m not overly aware during inner city driving that’s it’s notably stiffer. Except when I went over some rumble strips entering a 30mph zone. It really rumbles 😂😎👍
Hopefully I’ll get out to play on some nice A roads tomorrow to get a better feel for the improvements on handling 👍 

If someone with more know how than me could send an email to me via DM I’ll forward some before and after photos you can post up. I’m useless when it comes to IT and can’t post pics 😳😂👍

So 6'ish months on, how are you finding the X73 setup? Toying with the idea of the rear roll bar change but thinking it might make more sense to go the full hog so interested to hear your thoughts 6 months on

20 hours ago, CMA said:

So 6'ish months on, how are you finding the X73 setup? Toying with the idea of the rear roll bar change but thinking it might make more sense to go the full hog so interested to hear your thoughts 6 months on

@CMA Six mths on I have only positive feedback and I’m pleased I had it done. Ive probably done 2.5 x 3k miles and it’s all settled down very nicely. When I first picked it up it was noticeable in the stiffer ride and initially  I thought I’d made a mistake especially when the Mrs commented and tbh I’d never have thought she’d notice. She did say it wasn’t to the detriment of the ride comfort or spoilt it. So that was a bonus. But now it’s just perfect with its tracking whilst pushing on in the corners and feels so planted it’s unreal. I’m on 19inch wheels which I think helps in the comfort stakes as the 20inch might make it feel a bit stiffer again. I haven’t ruled out going the 20inch route but at the moment am staying with the 19s so my feedback is only based on the 19s. It isn’t a daily but if it was I’d be happy and mostly my driving is on fast A/B roads here in Wales. Which as you might know has some awesome driving roads. I have also done quite a few stay cations tied in with National OCGB Rally’s. My car is a MY13 and when it was done the car only had 19k on it so the standard suspension was far from shot. If you asked me would I have it done now with what I now know then my answer would be YES definitely. Is it worth the 2.6k. Yes in my book. Hope this helps 👍

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

@CMA Six mths on I have only positive feedback and I’m pleased I had it done. Ive probably done 2.5 x 3k miles and it’s all settled down very nicely. When I first picked it up it was noticeable in the stiffer ride and initially  I thought I’d made a mistake especially when the Mrs commented and tbh I’d never have thought she’d notice. She did say it wasn’t to the detriment of the ride comfort or spoilt it. So that was a bonus. But now it’s just perfect with its tracking whilst pushing on in the corners and feels so planted it’s unreal. I’m on 19inch wheels which I think helps in the comfort stakes as the 20inch might make it feel a bit stiffer again. I haven’t ruled out going the 20inch route but at the moment am staying with the 19s so my feedback is only based on the 19s. It isn’t a daily but if it was I’d be happy and mostly my driving is on fast A/B roads here in Wales. Which as you might know has some awesome driving roads. I have also done quite a few stay cations tied in with National OCGB Rally’s. My car is a MY13 and when it was done the car only had 19k on it so the standard suspension was far from shot. If you asked me would I have it done now with what I now know then my answer would be YES definitely. Is it worth the 2.6k. Yes in my book. Hope this helps 👍

Thanks for the feedback 👍