Double beeping on unlock

thefunkygibbon

Hi,  my dads 986 is exhibiting a double honk when unlocking.  I've checked everything and everything is locked when it locks and everything is unlocked when it unlocks.  Windows also drop and raise on opening as expected.

I ran my foxwell scanner on it and the Alarm system has these flagged up. 

47 Control locking synchronization
43 Passenger-side release stuck
61 Central locking limit position Unlock not reached
35 Passenger compartment monitoring sensor
1 Door(s) secured and terminal 15 on
11 Voltage failure during alarm output
49 K lead
10 Voltage failure at terminal 30 with alarm system active
60 Central locking limit position Lock not reached
59 Central locking limit position Secure not reached

Any thoughts as to which could be causing it and how to possibly fix ourselves.  I've a feeling it's probably related to error code 43 which is causing it but, as i say, the door locks and unlocks fine. 

11 minutes ago, thefunkygibbon said:

yeah thats what i figured.  thanks.  so is the ebay listing i posted above what i should be looking at getting for it?  is there a way of knowing if to get a 7 or 9 pin version or do i have to take it apart to check before i can really order the replacement?

Just take the door card off and peel back the foam and you will see the plug - count the pins.

In my opinion, you are asking for trouble buying a non-porsche part, go for a second hand Porsche unit.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

So my car has randomly started to do the the double beep on unlock but when i ran the code reader, nothing showed up?? 

It's done it a few random times now and not always consistent. Sometimes i could have armed it and come back to it within 15 min and it will do it and other times wont. 

How coincidental. I was going to post something up.

I have only been for a couple of test drives in my car. Doors lock automatically as the car starts moving and when I open the drivers door, I get the double beep! Does it seem like there will be a faulty lock somewhere? I assume I will need to run a code reader over it? 

2 hours ago, phazed said:

How coincidental. I was going to post something up.

I have only been for a couple of test drives in my car. Doors lock automatically as the car starts moving and when I open the drivers door, I get the double beep! Does it seem like there will be a faulty lock somewhere? I assume I will need to run a code reader over it? 

Mine only occurs when the car is switched off and alarmed.  It's the unarming process that sometimes gives the double beep/horn.

Mine is every time I want to exit the car! Damn, annoying!

It’s bad enough arriving with a loud exhaust let alone the car double beeping to let people know you are there 😁

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, fizz said:

So my car has randomly started to do the the double beep on unlock but when i ran the code reader, nothing showed up?? 

What code reader are you using? Not all code readers will be able to read the alarm module, you'll need one that can read the Porsche specfic codes from the alarm module.

Edited by The Toecutter

38 minutes ago, The Toecutter said:

What code reader are you using? Not all code readers will be able to read the alarm module, you'll need one that can read the Porsche specfic codes from the alarm module.

I've got the ICarsoft Por V2 and presumed it covered the alarm although i could be wrong. 

You're going to need Durametric at least to get alarm code reads I suspect.  iCarsoft V2 POR is good for engine, emissions, ABS, airbags, live data, even electric handbrakes but it doesn't get in really deep.

30 minutes ago, fizz said:

Ahh crappo... now i need to find someone local with a Durametric then. 

or PIWIS.  Revolution Porsche at Batley?

My money would be on a door latch module as indicated to the OP by @TROOPER88.  If I'm right, on your 986 it will be the later parts:

Tsty0s8.jpg 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

My money would be on a door latch module as indicated to the OP by @TROOPER88.  If I'm right, on your 986 it will be the later parts:

Tsty0s8.jpg 

The passenger side window doesn't drop when the door handle is activated so i know its had a micro switch issue since i got it to be fair. I've always lowered the windows on unlock from the key when i have a passenger getting in and the reverse when they have got out when locking and arming it. 

I will get to it at 'some point' :D 

With regards to paying to get the codes read, id rather just buy the tool myself and do it to future proof me. I've made back the monies on the ICarsoft already and i could sell it on for the price i paid for it used and upgrade to the next code reader. 

29 minutes ago, fizz said:

The passenger side window doesn't drop when the door handle is activated so i know its had a micro switch issue since i got it to be fair. I've always lowered the windows on unlock from the key when i have a passenger getting in and the reverse when they have got out when locking and arming it. 

With regards to paying to get the codes read, id rather just buy the tool myself and do it to future proof me. I've made back the monies on the ICarsoft already and i could sell it on for the price i paid for it used and upgrade to the next code reader. 

I'd suggest the passenger side door lock is a very likely culprit then. 

1 minute ago, mike597 said:

I'd suggest the passenger side door lock is a very likely culprit then. 

I've had the car over 3 years and its just started to do it now so wondering what's changed. 

I am assuming that a double beep, just means a fault on the system somewhere?

11 minutes ago, fizz said:

I've had the car over 3 years and its just started to do it now so wondering what's changed. 

Ime it's a microswitch on the lock that sticks due to lack of use. Can't recall which one but it makes the alarm module think the door isn't locked. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, fizz said:

Durametric is several hundred pounds and take a bit of time to learn to use correctly too.

Methinks change the passenger lock module and you'll have no residual faults, or at least the window will drop and rise reliably.  If still beeping change the driver's side module too.  Bit of a parts canon approach but well targeted, but will still be well under Durametric purchase price.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phazed said:

I am assuming that a double beep, just means a fault on the system somewhere?

Usually a double beep means there is an open electric loop like the centre console compartment lid aint closed properly. 

My double beep is coming from the actually car horn itself which i think is different to the standard double been upon locking and arming. 

43 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Ime it's a microswitch on the lock that sticks due to lack of use. Can't recall which one but it makes the alarm module think the door isn't locked. 

I shall take that on board and look into replacing the part in question. :) 

33 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Durametric is several hundred pounds and take a bit of time to learn to use correctly too.

Methinks change the passenger lock module and you'll have no residual faults, or at least the window will drop and rise reliably.  If still beeping change the driver's side module too.  Bit of a parts canon approach but well targeted, but will still be well under Durametric purchase price.

I thought the Durametric was circa £400 but if its more than that then id probably leave it be. 

I will look into which parts i need to replace in the passenger lock module for both the window dropping and the alarm aspect. 

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Tsty0s8.jpg 

Front Passenger Right Door Lock Actuator 8N2837016 For PORSCHE 911 (996) 98-04 | eBay

That looks about right i think... i think. :)