Headlight washers

Dazzevans

I’ve had the car for 9 months now and I  realised I hadn’t functioned the headlight washers. Yep, they don’t work. Fuse is okay, headlights on and tried ten washes as I read somewhere that they only trigger after ten screen washes. Before I rip apart the wheel arch to check the pump etc, does anyone have any wiring diagrams or hints and tips? Ta. 

To manually operate them on a 986, push the wiper stak towards the front of the car, with the headlights on.

Have you tried this?

1 hour ago, K.I.T.T. said:

To manually operate them on a 986, push the wiper stalk towards the front of the car, with the headlights on.

Have you tried this?

+1 on this. 

Also do you find the tank is empty or low frequently?  If so they could be cracked and syphon away the washer fluid in which case they won't work or will spray the water in any direction not just at the light.  Not popular with pedestrians....  Not easy to do on a budget, from Porsche they are about £150 each and salvage ones as as likely to fail soon even is cheaper as they are still old plastic.

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

+1 on this. 

Also do you find the tank is empty or low frequently?  If so they could be cracked and syphon away the washer fluid in which case they won't work or will spray the water in any direction not just at the light.  Not popular with pedestrians....  Not easy to do on a budget, from Porsche they are about £150 each and salvage ones as as likely to fail soon even is cheaper as they are still old plastic.

No signs of leaking anywhere on the drive so I’d discounted a loss of pressure due to splits and cracks. My next port of call was the pump, but I’ll try pushing the stalk towards the front of the car rather than the rear. Good call, I hadn’t noticed that line. 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

RTFM is the anacronym you are looking for I believe. 🤔  Perhaps @John K can confirm? 

But it has to be declared that whilst I tell others to RTFM, I press everything, swear and curse, search on YouTube, ask here and then after sulking for 120 minutes, RTFM...

10 minutes ago, John K said:

But it has to be declared that whilst I tell others to RTFM, I press everything, swear and curse, search on YouTube, ask here and then after sulking for 120 minutes, RTFM...

It is amazing how much time and grief we males could save ourselves isn't it.

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

It is amazing how much time and grief we males could save ourselves isn't it.

But then we wouldn't be male...

Just now, Dazzevans said:

Reading manuals is for those with same  chromosome pairs. I prefer to wing it. 😂

And look where it got you!  I didn't know the headlamp wash switched away either when I first got mine...

True in most things re the manual.  They are typically only for working out what you accidentally activated whilst pressing buttons.

my Audi had a speed limit warning. I accidentally activated it at 11mph in traffic on the old Kent road. 

it bleeped loudly whenever I went over that speed.  All the way to dover. 

since then I have been an avid and devoted car handbook reader.  On getting a car I spend an afternoon on the sofa with the manual and then go and sit in the car and play with all the things I found.  

I get disappointed when I try something that the manual suggests only to realise it’s an option that I don’t have.  

found 50 quid cash and an old iPod in the “secret storage compartment in the passenger seat” in my daughters fiat 500 using the same principle. 

46 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Feck me, that nearly killed me :laugh:

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

True in most things re the manual.  They are typically only for working out what you accidentally activated whilst pressing buttons.

my Audi had a speed limit warning. I accidentally activated it at 11mph in traffic on the old Kent road. 

since then I have been an avid and devoted car handbook reader.  On getting a car I spend an afternoon on the sofa with the manual and then go and sit in the car and play with all the things I found.  

I get disappointed when I try something that the manual suggests only to realise it’s an option that I don’t have.  

found 50 quid cash and an old iPod in the “secret storage compartment in the passenger seat” in my daughters fiat 500 using the same principle. 

I once hit the speed limiter button on my BMW when pulling away from some lights. I couldn’t figure out what I’d done wrong for a good 100m at 15mph!!

Archived