Remove seat with roof down?

stupidget

As the title suggests, is there a reason why people don’t have the roof down when they remove seats? I need to remove my driver side seat to replace the mesh underneath as the seat bottom has sunk, and all the vids I’ve watched the people all have the roof up. Surely it’s be easier to do with the roof down so I was just wondering if there’s a reason for not putting the roof down.

Have the roof down.

Ensure you put a towel or sheet over the sill as you will scratch it very easily.

The seats bolts are not 10mm but E12 Torx.

Some will say 'use a 10mm, it will be fine...'

If they are tight, you risk rounding the bolt without the correct bit.

Be carful with the springs on the base of the seat, they are dangerous.

• Like 2

Thanks @TROOPER88 . Also some people say disconnect the battery and some say, don’t bother, so just wondered what you did when you removed your seat?

37 minutes ago, stupidget said:

As the title suggests, is there a reason why people don’t have the roof down when they remove seats? I need to remove my driver side seat to replace the mesh underneath as the seat bottom has sunk, and all the vids I’ve watched the people all have the roof up. Surely it’s be easier to do with the roof down so I was just wondering if there’s a reason for not putting the roof down.

Who’s says people don’t put the roof down, I certainly do....

Regardless if whether it's required to have the roof down it must be easier to remove the seats with the roof down specially bearing in mind it only takes a few seconds. It's hardly a spacious cabin!

Edited by jonogt6

might well be attempting a seat swap soon myself. the roof will definitely be down. wasnt going to disconnect the battery, but was going to make sure the key was not in the ignition when i disconnect the electrics.

as for the e12 torx socket, picked me up some of these in advance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00477ANSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I removed the drivers seat the other day and it was incredibly easy.  I popped the roof down, removed the key from the ignition to stop the airbag warning light from coming on, removed the four screws, unplugged the socket from underneath the seat and took the seat out.  One thing I would say is wrap some towels or something over the seat runners before you take the seat out as it's very easy to knock the door or sill and they would leave a nice scratch if uncovered.

It's also worth noting that the socket underneath the seat has a plug at the side that needs to be pulled out before you can pull the socket apart.  This link has a good guide on removing the seats:

http://www.dennisvogel.com/heatedseats/disassemble.html

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to swap the 986 passenger and driver seat cushions? If so, is it a long job? I have a long trip next week which I don't fancy on my collapsed drivers seat but no time to fix it. However, when I do I have seen a link somewhere to a supplier of the webbing panel that fails but I now can't find it. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

17 hours ago, SimonT001 said:

Is it possible to swap the 986 passenger and driver seat cushions? If so, is it a long job? I have a long trip next week which I don't fancy on my collapsed drivers seat but no time to fix it. However, when I do I have seen a link somewhere to a supplier of the webbing panel that fails but I now can't find it. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Simple answer is 'no'.  The controls for height and tilt are in a panel cut into the outside of the base making them 'handed'.  If you strip it down to the frame and cushion, those bits do interchange but the covering leather trim doesn't.  However if you want to strip off the outer leather and swap over the control panels then you could do it but it is a lot of work.

On 7/10/2021 at 12:03 AM, SimonT001 said:

Thanks!

I threaded 2 luggage straps through underside of seat frame with a piece of foam between them + seat base & once pulled tight they lifted the saggy cushion back into place. It was a temporary fix done 18 months ago lol 🙈🤣

19 hours ago, Castaway said:

Roof down and disconnect battery. The battery takes 2 mins, 10mm spanner take off the negative terminal. Theres electrickery under dem der seats!

No need to disconnect battery.  I did mine by just unplugging the connector under the seat, there's a slider on the side that releases the plug, it doesn't just pull out, when I swapped my driver's seat a few weeks ago.  There's no airbag or pretensioner electrics in the seat so no electrics risk.

A lot easier with the roof down, but would be possible with it up but take a lot of care.  Why would you not put the roof down though?

23 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Simple answer is 'no'.  The controls for height and tilt are in a panel cut into the outside of the base making them 'handed'.  If you strip it down to the frame and cushion, those bits do interchange but the covering leather trim doesn't.  However if you want to strip off the outer leather and swap over the control panels then you could do it but it is a lot of work.

Pretty much as I thought - thanks for confirming!

8 hours ago, Chris H1AVFC said:

I threaded 2 luggage straps through underside of seat frame with a piece of foam between them + seat base & once pulled tight they lifted the saggy cushion back into place. It was a temporary fix done 18 months ago lol 🙈🤣

Thanks Chris - that's what I need, temporarily ... In fact, very temporarily, could just wedge something under the seat or is there gubbins in the way?

On 7/11/2021 at 5:04 PM, SimonT001 said:

Thanks Chris - that's what I need, temporarily ... In fact, very temporarily, could just wedge something under the seat or is there gubbins in the way?

No nothing in the way. It doesn't take long to take seat out so much quicker that way then you can see what your doing. 👍

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2021 at 8:48 AM, Chris H1AVFC said:

Thats worked a treat - cheers!

• Thanks 1