Dash cam with rear view

Elmer Fudd

Nextbase cameras are very good, BUT their achilles heel is the battery. They last 12-18 months and die. 

For this reason i tend to use capicitance based dash cams such as the Viofo A129 duo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DHKLH4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_DJG4NZNT3DD6260BS7JT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

16 minutes ago, dieselpower said:

I've installed three of these, although not in the Boxster yet.  Very similar looking to Pinewood's suggestion.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUKEY-Supercapacitor-Wide-Angle-Detection-Dual-Port/dp/B075T8H9XJ/

I currently have this in my beemer

Hmm, thanks guy's

Does it matter too much if the battery dies? I thought that was just for a back up power supply and if you were parked, and generally when parked up you prob wont get the reg of any scrote that may prang your P & J.

Those super capacitor ones look good but where would I place the rear camera?

Not sure where you would mount a rear facing camera, but didn't you ask about a duo setup? 

AUKEY and VIOFO all do the single versions. 

The battery versions are needed if you want true protection when away from the car. Some (not all dash cams) have a "parking" mode. 

In my beemer, i used to connect the camera to a power bank which can keep the camera running for several hours (multi storey and I used to commute into London) 

The Porsche is parked with more care and never that long. I prefer the longevity of cameras over the park function. 

you have lots of choices when it comes to dash cams. Another thing to think about - do you want GPS and speed data being recorded (which could go against you)? 

My setups are simple 1080p video in case of dispute + i like reviewing my Boxster footage when in scenic locations

14 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Another thing to think about - do you want GPS and speed data being recorded (which could go against you)? 

My setups are simple 1080p video in case of dispute + i like reviewing my Boxster footage when in scenic locations

I use a nice simple Nextbase 222 dash cam, which only records date and time, with no GPS or speed data.  Picture quality is excellent as well :thumbsup_anim:

On 4/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, Pinewood said:

Nextbase cameras are very good, BUT their achilles heel is the battery. They last 12-18 months and die. 

For this reason i tend to use capicitance based dash cams such as the Viofo A129 duo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DHKLH4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_DJG4NZNT3DD6260BS7JT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That’s odd. I’ve had mine for four years and it’s still going strong. 

Just now, Dazzevans said:

That’s odd. I’ve had mine for four years and it’s still going strong. 

lucky you. The reviews suggest otherwise

@Pinewoodmaybe you can elaborate. I’ve had a 522GW in each of my Boxsters for over a year. Yes the battery life is cr*p in that it lasts about a minute. But mine are both powered by the car so it’s good enough to power down properly when the ignition is off.

3 hours ago, Gutley said:

@Pinewoodmaybe you can elaborate. I’ve had a 522GW in each of my Boxsters for over a year. Yes the battery life is cr*p in that it lasts about a minute. But mine are both powered by the car so it’s good enough to power down properly when the ignition is off.

Agreed. Parking mode is designed for cameras connected to the perm live. I’m not sure what is being expected here. 

On 4/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, Pinewood said:

I have to agree with this, mine stopped taking/holding a charge a few months out of warrant, Nextbase did not want to know.

26 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Mine was also hard wired, but would simply switch itself off after half a minute or so, a google does show they have a bad reputation for it.

and that was my point. Have no axe to grind in terms of Nextbase cams. The capitance ones use the charge to write to the sd card before powering down, but aren't affected by hot summers

Archived