Android Auto & Carplay PCM DIY and Demo

daz05

Guys,

I finally finished the video covering android auto and Carplay installation. I take you through the products on offer, pcm removal, integration, installation and a demo at the end.

Let me know what you think, and any likes and comments appreciated to help with the viewing figures 👍

• Thanks 2

Another great video Daz and a fine collection of cars and Scottish countryside at the end. I didn't think of installing the mic under the steering column cover when I did mine - is this where the OEM mic is situated, and does it work well?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Madlil said:

Another great video Daz and a fine collection of cars and Scottish countryside at the end. I didn't think of installing the mic under the steering column cover when I did mine - is this where the OEM mic is situated, and does it work well?

Hi, thanks very much. Yes the OEM mics are in there. Works well but recommend removing the wind cover as you don't need it anymore.

2 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Hi, thanks very much. Yes the OEM mics are in there. Works well but recommend removing the wind cover as you don't need it anymore.

Great, will sort at the weekend. Currently have the mic at the top of the windscreen pillar and occasionally catch it when getting in the car. 👍🏻

• Like 2

One of the best videos yet Daz, you didn't swear once despite the job being a little bit more difficult than you expected! Well done. Am I correct in assuming that the Waze navigation directions do not repeat in the binnacle like the OEM nav does? 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Madlil said:

Great, will sort at the weekend. Currently have the mic at the top of the windscreen pillar and occasionally catch it when getting in the car. 👍🏻

Good idea, then just feed the cable down as I did, you can tape it onto the existing mic wiring. Closer to the wheel the better I would say for sound quality 👍

3 minutes ago, spook said:

One of the best videos yet Daz, you didn't swear once despite the job being a little bit more difficult than you expected! Well done. Am I correct in assuming that the Waze navigation directions do not repeat in the binnacle like the OEM nav does? 

Cheers Spook, I assure you that I did! 

Sadly none of the new functionality can be displayed on the binnacle which is a real shame.  It I have Waze on I normally put my music from my usb on the binnacle or the pcm map when using the music apps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madlil said:

Totally agree on this - Mic placement is very good idea.  A pillar for mine is cr@p as it gets in the way of sun visor

Really great video @daz05 you're not wrong about the cables etc being the hardest part..  I thought that Android Auto was cable only and CarPlay was the only wireless option (I'm an iPhone user so never even tried Android).   Cars and Coffee looked cool too.. I take it you liked that new Supra based on it's screen time :)

Oh, I'd also be interested in how you find phone usage.  Mine is a bit erratic and answers on the PCM, and not the Joyeauto..for incoming calls.   I might see if there is new firmware for the Joyeauto tho, as an upgrade I did a while back did sort out some previous usability issues.

Edited by Withy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Withy said:

Really great video @daz05 you're not wrong about the cables etc being the hardest part..  I thought that Android Auto was cable only and CarPlay was the only wireless option (I'm an iPhone user so never even tried Android).   Cars and Coffee looked cool too.. I take it you liked that new Supra based on it's screen time :)

I was surprised too but yep it's 100% wireless if you want. 

C&C was quite quiet that day but enjoyable nonetheless.  On the Supra, not especially, the black GT3 was definitely my fav! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bayernlarge said:

Nice video Daz. How long did it take you start to finish? I guess filming must have extended the job. 

Filming it wasn't easy, that's probably up there with the toughest video I've ever made.

Doing it again I could probably do it in under 3 hrs but I spent a lot of time planning the job and I had some trial and error deciding where to locate the box.  At one stage I was keen to plumb it under the seat where the Porsche TV tuner would go but luckily I realised the cables wouldn't stretch before attempting that one!

I get limited time to myself for my car related projects so I tend to space it out over a few nights, was quite happy to get a dram after getting the PCM back together!

You can of course install it far quicker and just stuff it all in next to the pcm but that's not how I do things 😂

Edited by daz05
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Daz you've done it again, a fantastic video and I must say you are a "better man than me Gunga Din" to open up that PCM and work on it with marigolds your the man 👍 

Keep it up when you have spare time that is.

Guvs.

14 hours ago, Withy said:

Oh, I'd also be interested in how you find phone usage.  Mine is a bit erratic and answers on the PCM, and not the Joyeauto..for incoming calls.   I might see if there is new firmware for the Joyeauto tho, as an upgrade I did a while back did sort out some previous usability issues.

Think I read somewhere that you need to totally unpair your phone from the PCM bluetooth. I did this so that the phone is only connected to the Joyeauto unit and it works seamlessly. Hope you get it sorted. 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guvs said:

........with marigolds your the man 👍 

Nice video @daz05  will definitely help when I get round to doing this!  I'm more worried about denting the dash/trim than the PCM open heart surgery.  I see towels are the protective gear of choice! 

I also think the Marigolds add an element of style and flair to the production. 

It says "Yes, I like performance cars. Yes, I'm handy in the garage. And Yes, I know fashion!"

:D 

• Haha 1

I've not had to disconnect my pcm from the phone but I did untick the option for auxiliary BT. Reason I have them both connected is so I can still use the pcm phone if I am on FM radio or not using  Carplay/AA.

You also need to put the pcm navigation on silent as you are messing around in that menu when using it so it's easy to set an address.

Edited by daz05

2 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

Nice video @daz05  will definitely help when I get round to doing this!  I'm more worried about denting the dash/trim than the PCM open heart surgery.  I see towels are the protective gear of choice! 

I also think the Marigolds add an element of style and flair to the production. 

It says "Yes, I like performance cars. Yes, I'm handy in the garage. And Yes, I know fashion!"

:D 

Just as I was about to start I thought don't people wear gloves around circuitry. I looked to my left and there they were just looking at me, and I thought I'm having a bit of that! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Guvs said:

Well done Daz you've done it again, a fantastic video and I must say you are a "better man than me Gunga Din" to open up that PCM and work on it with marigolds your the man 👍 

Keep it up when you have spare time that is.

Guvs.

Ha ha, cheers Guvs.

Edited by daz05

Just now, Greenman said:

Great video Daz,  and at least I now know it’s not a job I’m ever going to attempt!🙄

Ha ha cheers, that's what I said but a moment of weakness and here we are!

If you ever do anything similar, then if you remember it would be dead useful when you are removing trim to give an indication just where you are prising/pulling/levering etc and where the various tabs are.  Whenever I attempt anything similar (other non Porsche cars) I either break a load of tabs, damage the trim or just give up as it seems so stiff that I just know something is going to break if I use any more force.

Edited by Greenman

Just now, Greenman said:

If you ever do anything similar, then if you remember it would be dead useful when you are removing trim to give an indication just where you are prising/pulling/levering etc and where the various tabs are.  Whenever I attempt anything similar (other non Porsche cars) I either brake a load of tabs, damage the trim or just give up as it seems so stiff that I just know something is going to break if I use any more force.

Fair comment, I filmed it that way but sadly the time and interest of the viewer doesn't allow for it, everyone wants the job done in under 10 mins and onto them demo. I'll consider doing an extra long version to cover that in future. With the 981 where you prise is generally ok, it's making sure you get the release direction right.

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

Just as I was about to start I thought don't people wear gloves around circuitry. I looked to my left and there they were just looking at me, and I thought I'm having a bit of that! 

From my computer repairing days I would advise that an anti-static mat and grounding strap on the wrist is the way to go. But so glad you didn't know that before you filmed your video, as it would have denied us all some comedy (Mari)gold 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 on the great video

Have been contemplating this upgrade, love Waze. Adding the extension board I’m all good with, it’s locating the external box which looks a royal PITA... 🤔 probs leave it for now. 

Had not appreciated the PCM 3.1 relies on spinning lumps of rusty discs... would be worth swapping over to SSD at the same time. Be a nice little upgrade market for some one - swap out HDD and stick in Apple CarPlay. 

• Like 1