Garage storage-roof up or down?

Sammysmiths

I have a garage attached to the house. Its not damp, but also its not air conditioned. 

My Boxster will be a weekend and fun car and occasional commuter car. So, for periods it will just be sat in the garage, with the UK weather just the other side of the garage door. The garage roof is new and watertight. 

So, do i keep the car with the roof up, or roof down?

If its roof up, shall i crack the windows to allow airflow through the cabin?

The car will be a bit of a squeeze in there so i may end up pushing the car in to avoid knocking the wing mirrors and clanging the door against the brick wall if i had to get in/out.

Also, handbrake will probably be off and a wheel chocked. 

Closed to avoid spiders etc getting in. I and others put dehumidifier bags inside when car is garaged and used less over winter. At this time of year i don't bother and my garage has a leaky roof!

Nail a bit of carpet to the garage wall so you can throw the door open without worrying about it.

Deffo leave handbrake off and a chock under a wheel.

Personally I would leave roof up, windows should be fine up as well, maybe leave interior vents open.

I'd suggest getting a battery conditioner to keep battery in tip top condition as well if the car isn't used regularly.

Edited by andygo

Roof up because of spiders and because long term roof down promotes creases.  But for a day or a week whatever takes your fancy.  

aplogies if you know this but wing mirrors fold.  It’s a manual operation pull from outer edge towards rear of car the my fold around the inner front edge.  There’s a little yellow tag visible.  Move that the obvious way and the mirror latches folder.  Just fold the mirror “more” slightly and the tag pings back to its resting pony and the mirror will the spring (I hold on to mine) back to normal position.  

mines a pdk and my garage is flat so I always leave the handbrake off in the garage. Conversely I use the handbrake when parking ina. Slope because I don’t like the idea of the cars weight resting on the pdk park mechanism. 

Battery conditioner (not a “trickle charger” ) a good idea as others have said.  Not really required for a regularly driven car but if you can then why not and if parked up for weeks then it’s a good idea.  

if it’s easier to get out of car with window open then a press and hold while locking from the remote should close the windows for you.  

3 minutes ago, Sammysmiths said:

Ooh I didn’t know about the window on the remote button. Thanks 

it's called "comfort closing" - I am pretty sure 987.1 do it - 987.2's do - it may need to be enabled via diags - but seems to be a default thing - certainly both my 987.2's have done it.

The converse is also true - comfort opening - long press on unlock and the windows drop - useful if its sat baking in the sun all day.

44 minutes ago, Paul P said:

it's called "comfort closing" - I am pretty sure 987.1 do it - 987.2's do - it may need to be enabled via diags - but seems to be a default thing - certainly both my 987.2's have done it.

The converse is also true - comfort opening - long press on unlock and the windows drop - useful if its sat baking in the sun all day.

My 1998 986 has comfort opening / closing. AFAIK it was standard (no mention as an option/setting) so should be the same in  987.1.

I agree with the roof up, windows up approach.

On the dehumidifier bag, I have a little box type filled with gel that you plug in they get wet, the gel changes colour to let you know it is saturated.  Similar idea to the ones you put in the microwave - those don't work for me as I don't have a microwave, all things said the plug in to dry out works pretty well.

1 hour ago, Boxob said:

My 1998 986 has comfort opening / closing. AFAIK it was standard (no mention as an option/setting) so should be the same in  987.1.

I thought it was but I know it is a config option in piwis and I have seen some cars where it wasn’t set (perhaps it had been turned off for sone reason) 

I reverse into the garage in case a jump start is needed. Park with the roof up unless sunshine seems guaranteed next day. I usually leave the bonnet on the latch, again to facilitate a possible jump start.

I've fixed some polystyrene ceiling tiles to the garage walls to eliminate door scrapes.

My cousin had a 356 speedster. He left it for a while over winter with one window down slightly to circulate the air. Rats or mice got in. Ended up getting the whole car retrimmed. Red leather. Nice. Lucky he has lots of money. Sold it before I got to drive it. Git. Never did find how the little bleeders got in the garage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 11:49 AM, JonSta said:

My cousin had a 356 speedster. He left it for a while over winter with one window down slightly to circulate the air. Rats or mice got in. Ended up getting the whole car retrimmed. Red leather. Nice. Lucky he has lots of money. Sold it before I got to drive it. Git. Never did find how the little bleeders got in the garage.

Mice can get pretty much anywhere, through the smallest of openings I think.

As for Windows, I'd definitely say closed. Spiders! 🕷️🙈

On 5/21/2021 at 3:37 PM, Sammysmiths said:

I have a garage attached to the house. Its not damp, but also its not air conditioned. 

My Boxster will be a weekend and fun car and occasional commuter car. So, for periods it will just be sat in the garage, with the UK weather just the other side of the garage door. The garage roof is new and watertight. 

So, do i keep the car with the roof up, or roof down?

If its roof up, shall i crack the windows to allow airflow through the cabin?

The car will be a bit of a squeeze in there so i may end up pushing the car in to avoid knocking the wing mirrors and clanging the door against the brick wall if i had to get in/out.

Also, handbrake will probably be off and a wheel chocked. 

If you garage is a standard new build it should be 2.4m wide. A Boxster will fit in easily if up against one wall with a bit of practice. I was able to get out fairly comfortable. 👍