Sprint Booster

huytonman

I picked one of these up during the winter and last week fitted it to my 987S Gen2. Fitting is relatively easy but like other have found the plug release tab on my throttle sensor was broken so the pedal had to come out to make removal easier - takes around 20 mins all in to do so very straightforward.

The system has three different acceleration modes, standard i.e. normal as though the car is standard, sport and race - the latter two come from the factory pre-set to level 5 (0-10 with 10 being the most responsive).

Ive done a fair few miles with the car since fitting and yes, the car feels very different to standard when either sport or race is selected. The pre-set level of 5 is the one that I have come back to after fiddling around and sport seems more than adequate on the road.

In Sport level 5 acceleration occurs much more swiftly than standard and it takes a bit of practise to regulate the pedal to avoid wheel spin (sounds counter intuitive doing this regulation but it still results in much faster pick up) - in fact the car now accelerates in a similar fashion to my old F10 M5 which also demanded a gentle right foot to avoid spinning the wheels.

I have been keeping the car in standard mode as it warms up and then once up to temperature and if the road benefits from the change have selected Sport. Oddly the exhaust note also seems to benefit (PSE on my car) which makes things feel overall much quicker. Beware though that unlike my M5 with its big twin turbo V8, the rapidity of acceleration does tail off with the 987 - its not linear. The other thing I notice is a more noticeable step in acceleration not unlike an S2000 that I once owned and that adds to the overall impression.

I paid about £160 for the unit and in terms of smiles/£ it feels like a bit of a bargain.

By the way the little remote control doesn't need to stay in the car; if you settle on asetting that you aren't likely to change then you can select the one that you want, remove the control unit and the last setting becomes the default and is retained by the Booster memory. Not for me as I still want to adopt standard in towns etc and when warming up the engine.

Keith

• Like 1

That sounds nice! Mine is a base PDK without sport mode and it's not the most sporty feeling combination. Should this work well for my PDK car as well? I've also been considering adding the Sport Mode by Porsche, but that is quite expensive.

I felt pdk in my S was a little lethargic unless manually changing, so went for the retrofitted sport and sport plus modes.  I was happy before but I must say I am even happier now.  Cost me close to £1k including buttons but personally I am happy I did it.  Having the sprint booster may have closed the performance gap but could not resist the buttons.  Has anyone found a benefit of having sports button and booster?

I tried the booster on my 987.2 PDK with Sports chrono and a remap.

It is marginally better with the booster but I would spend the money on a decent remap, it really transform my car by altering the torque curve and made it drive a lot smoother. More like oem+, not jearky or anything you would of thought it came from the factory like it👍

20 hours ago, Finbox said:

That sounds nice! Mine is a base PDK without sport mode and it's not the most sporty feeling combination. Should this work well for my PDK car as well? I've also been considering adding the Sport Mode by Porsche, but that is quite expensive.

I dont see any reason why it wont work with PDK - they may produce a variant for that application, worth checking the website. I also had a PDK in the past and the Sport option was necessary IMO due to the box wanting to change up to the highest gear all the time - the SB wont sort that issue out you will need to factory fit for that (or maybe a remap could do it).

Keith

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hexamu said:

I felt pdk in my S was a little lethargic unless manually changing, so went for the retrofitted sport and sport plus modes.  I was happy before but I must say I am even happier now.  Cost me close to £1k including buttons but personally I am happy I did it.  Having the sprint booster may have closed the performance gap but could not resist the buttons.  Has anyone found a benefit of having sports button and booster?

I'm looking at getting the sport/sport plus retrofit done. Silverstone Porsche quoted me £1190 to have it done, causing me to hesitate having it done.

Who did your upgrade if you don't mind me asking?

Mine is booked in at Swindon OPC in a coupe of weeks for this - quoted £1,056. 

Reading OPC quoted £1,227 so worth checking the different OPC's if any others are in reasonable range. 

Personally feel it will be well worth it...

I considered the sprint booster but went for the GAN tuner which possibly doesn't alter the feel of the throttle as much as the SB but does actually give more torque and hp overall. Possibly not as much as advertised but it it deffo does something and makes the engine feel smoother too. I keep meaning to turn it off to see how difference it actually makes.

2 hours ago, huytonman said:

Guys, those of you who are looking at adding the sport function have you tried getting a price from Ray Northway - pretty sure it will be cheaper and will be done as well or better than if it was done by an OPC

Keith

Sports chrono retrofit is a replacement switch panel and a (2) codes that can only be got from Porsche and need a piwis unit to code the car  no other hardware or software required it’s just a switch and an activation of a a couple of features  that are already there  (any the usual “Porsche code”‘suspects can’t supply the one you really need which is the one for the vehicle electrical system   

the switch panel is about 85 quid.  The codes are “pick a number” but Porsche seem to charge around 700-800 for them and they are linked to your VIN. 

I reckon the only saving from an Indy would be on the labour to replace the switch panel and plug in the diags which can’t be more than an hour so you might take 100 quid off the price (assuming the Indy can get the codes and has piwis) 

the prices folks are being quoted seem much inflated.  When I looked it was approx 850 all in from OPC but that was a couple of years ago. 

26 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Sports chrono retrofit is a replacement switch panel and a (2) codes that can only be got from Porsche and need a piwis unit to code the car  no other hardware or software required it’s just a switch and an activation of a a couple of features  that are already there  (any the usual “Porsche code”‘suspects can’t supply the one you really need which is the one for the vehicle electrical system   

the switch panel is about 85 quid.  The codes are “pick a number” but Porsche seem to charge around 700-800 for them and they are linked to your VIN. 

I reckon the only saving from an Indy would be on the labour to replace the switch panel and plug in the diags which can’t be more than an hour so you might take 100 quid off the price (assuming the Indy can get the codes and has piwis) 

the prices folks are being quoted seem much inflated.  When I looked it was approx 850 all in from OPC but that was a couple of years ago. 

^This^ and I got quoted £1,056 from an OPC too, about three months ago.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, andygo said:

I'm looking at getting the sport/sport plus retrofit done. Silverstone Porsche quoted me £1190 to have it done, causing me to hesitate having it done.

Who did your upgrade if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Andygo, I paid £995 for the sport and sport plus including the buttons fitted at Solihull Porsche Centre.  They gave me a 10% discount on the parts and labour.   I called 3 or 4 and they were the cheapest plus got a great service. 

On 6/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, JTBoxster said:

Mine is booked in at Swindon OPC in a coupe of weeks for this - quoted £1,056. 

Reading OPC quoted £1,227 so worth checking the different OPC's if any others are in reasonable range. 

Personally feel it will be well worth it...

Definitely money well spent from my point of view

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted one last week, and yes it certainly perks up the car around town, I know its just pedal trickery but I prefer the way the throttle and gearbox react to my smaller inputs. I have mine set to sport 5 mode.