986 Seats

Davehods

So last weekend I drove 400 miles around the midlands and North Wales and found that the seats in the 986 were making me cramped.  Had the car 7 years and in that time have got old!  I am long in the body so head tends to be higher than the headrest.  Have seat rammed back and on the floor...

I am thinking that 987 seats may be the answer...but never sat in a 986 with newer seats.  Also...the ones on ebay seem expensive or scruffy or a combination of both.  Just to make sourcing them more of a challenge the interior is blue.

Ideas and suggestions welcome...I have already deleted the centre console, which helps.

I ahve just obtained a replacement grey driver's seat for my 986 and looked at upgrade options to change both.  Very expensive for the condition of those available.

How tall are you?  I'm average height (5'8") but a bit broad however I still find the 986 seats to be fine for even 4 or 5 hour's driving.  Some taller owners on here have found that the lower centre console delete option makes more space.  I believe the 987 seats have a lower frame which would give more headroom.

4 hours ago, JonSta said:

Could an upholsterer not recover the seat in a way that made more space? Don't suppose it would be cheap though.

From my recent experience you are into 4 figures for that even to keep it a standard shape.

Try the console delete, that will give you more leg room and feel more roomy in the cabin, I personally don’t have it and I’m 6ft, never felt the need for more room others have said it makes a big difference.

might be a cheaper options that seats.

Hi...thanks for the replies...I have the console delete which is good but I would like to sit lower.  I must have a long body or something 🙂 I am kicking myself as I missed a pair of 987 seats which went on ebay for £90!  They had alcantara inserts which were a bit scruffy.  

• 1 month later...

Hi

I find the 987 seats far superior to the 986 ones. They bolt straight in with a small modification to the power plug. Or at least that was the way of it for me.

They do have side airbags which you can leave disconnected or remove (not so straightforwards).

Berni

Edited by Berni29

My drivers seat (986) digs into my loweR back to the point where it starts getting painful after two or three miles. If it had lumber adjustment I might be able to get more comfortable, but although it has memory function it doesnt have lumbar adjustment.

At some point soon Im going to have to find some kind of fix or consIder selling the car, as its ruining the enjoyment of driving it.

Im 5,10 and 14 stone so not far off average build I think.

1 hour ago, Bradders59 said:

My drivers seat (986) digs into my loweR back to the point where it starts getting painful after two or three miles. If it had lumber adjustment I might be able to get more comfortable, but although it has memory function it doesnt have lumbar adjustment.

At some point soon Im going to have to find some kind of fix or consIder selling the car, as its ruining the enjoyment of driving it.

I have a different car & different seats but I found an odd solution to discomfort in my lower back. I pulled the base of the seat forward a little, then tilted the back further. I now find the car perfectly comfortable, even for long journeys. I still feel I'm slightly too far forward but it's solved the problem. I hope you find comfort one way or another.

Not in the porsche but I had a similar experience with a daily that had lumbar support. I actually found pushing all the way back so there was no support at all was the most comfortable. 

Have you checked wether the seat has collapsed and your sitting low?

Im an athletic 6ft 1 and just under 15stone and mine super comfortable.

worth checking maybe ? 

Every Porsche I have owned and likely all I have ever driven are more comfortable in a more upright closer to the wheel than I want sit up and beg position.  

there’s a few inches of forward and back and a few degrees of up and down and angle that make the difference. 

But I have found that if I work with how it wants me to sit rather than how I want to sit that it all makes more sense.  

loot at the seating position of race spec 911.  Upright.  Close to the wheel. Arms more bent than you would expect. 

Contrast with an Italian car.  Lay down, Stretch out. Arms all the way to the wheel. 

at 6 - 1 In a 987 it’s a challenge especially with the roof down. But there is a sweet spot. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 3:07 PM, Davehods said:

Hi...thanks for the replies...I have the console delete which is good but I would like to sit lower.  I must have a long body or something 🙂 I am kicking myself as I missed a pair of 987 seats which went on ebay for £90!  They had alcantara inserts which were a bit scruffy.  

I managed to snag a pair of these for 150. I thought that was cheap. 90 sounds very very cheap.

Anyway I'm currently waiting for the female torx bits to arrive as I don't have a socket which fits the e12 on these.

If anyone has any advice about fitting that would be great. Best info I found so far is to remove the 986 buckle from the original seat and transfer it to the 987 seat.

20210818-114730.jpg

1 hour ago, ATM said:

E12 didn't fit. The E14 did but was a bit loose. So either my cheap sockets are totally rubbish or it's an E13.

Should definitely be E12...  Possible someone has had them out before and used a 10mm socket which has rounded off the points a bit.  May need some persuasion to get the E12 on the head of the bolts.