Red callipers on 2.7 987……

987 2.7

32 minutes ago, 987 2.7 said:

Does anyone know if, when a 2.7 987 was optioned from new with code 405 Carrera Classic 19 inch alloy’s, would it have come with red callipers  ?…..

Cheers, Nick. 

Typo….Code 403 Carrera S alloys - NOT 405 Classic !!

Edited by 987 2.7

27 minutes ago, 987 2.7 said:

Does anyone know if, when a 2.7 987 was optioned from new with code 405 Carrera Classic 19 inch alloy’s, would it have come with red callipers  ?…..

Cheers, Nick. 

Pretty sure it would have been a separate option (I think) and not one I have ever actually seen.  More like callipers  have been painted at a later stage.  

27 minutes ago, entdgc said:

I thought only the S had red calipers? 

That’s what I thought - reds as standard. I’m nearly there on an 05 2.7 with factory fitted 19” Carrera S alloys. Haven’t seen the car in the flesh, but in the shots, it has red callipers, and was wondering if they would have come with the S alloys as part of a ‘pack’ - or, if they have been subsequently painted, they look ‘factory’ finish to me. Just curious, before I actually see it next week 🤨!

38 minutes ago, entdgc said:

I thought only the S had red calipers? 

I agree. But I have read somewhere that both the red callipers and the white dials were an option.  Never seen one with them specc’ed though 

1 minute ago, 987 2.7 said:

That’s what I thought - reds as standard. I’m nearly there on an 05 2.7 with factory fitted 19” Carrera S alloys. Haven’t seen the car in the flesh, but in the shots, it has red callipers, and was wondering if they would have come with the S alloys as part of a ‘pack’ - or, if they have been subsequently painted, they look ‘factory’ finish to me. Just curious, before I actually see it next week 🤨!

I thought the 2.7 brakes were smaller than the S - when it got to gen 2 I think they ended up the same size.  But I don’t have anything the back that up.  

2 minutes ago, 987 2.7 said:

If you are prepared to drop a fiver and can get the vin then @T911UK can get you the factory spec of the car.  

there’s a sticky thread In the technical session.  

58 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I thought the 2.7 brakes were smaller than the S - when it got to gen 2 I think they ended up the same size.  But I don’t have anything the back that up.  

Gen 2 brakes are larger than gen 1 on the base Boxster. Still black though. 
Porsche used to option pretty much anything, for a price. My 2.7 987.1 had a 6 speed box as well as PASM, PSM, sport chrono, GT silver paint etc.
Still had small black anodised callipers until I painted them red 😎

Haha...Yep, good advice. I've got the factory spec download from Matt, but it doesn't mention the red callipers. Oh well, I'll just have to wait until next week and sus it out ! I'm sure there will be more pressing issues to consider 😅

They will be black anodised and repainted red, the anodising fades very quickly and looks shyte, it was the first thing I did to the wifes car!

Black are indeed smaller than the S red ones, neither model had any other option from factory

4 hours ago, T911UK said:

They will be black anodised and repainted red, the anodising fades very quickly and looks shyte, it was the first thing I did to the wifes car!

Black are indeed smaller than the S red ones, neither model had any other option from factory

Thanks Matt. I knew you’d be the man who knows !

On 7/26/2021 at 8:20 PM, Paul P said:

I agree. But I have read somewhere that both the red callipers and the white dials were an option.  Never seen one with them specc’ed though 

My 2.7 has white dials. Grey calipers though. They would prob be black if I could be arsed to get in there and clean them.

On 7/27/2021 at 4:57 PM, T911UK said:

So are the base brakes and S brakes the same on the gen 2 or bigger on the S, like the gen 1?

29 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Did the 987 have black calipers as standard? I thought they were the dark anodised grey same as the 986, but I may be wrong.

No, you're correct Bob. That's why i haven't painted mine- impossible to replicate the look and finish.

19 minutes ago, red rocket said:

No, you're correct Bob. That's why i haven't painted mine- impossible to replicate the look and finish.

IIRC you gave yours a good clean and a treated with polytrol to improve appearance???  I did the same on my 986 and it was a worthwhile I thought.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:22 PM, Paul P said:

I have the white dials spec on my Boxster 2.7. I do prefer them to the standard Boxster dials. Not a massive deal though. I wonder how much someone originally paid for that?

49 minutes ago, Topbox said:

IIRC you gave yours a good clean and a treated with polytrol to improve appearance???  I did the same on my 986 and it was a worthwhile I thought.

Yes, i'd forgotten that; must redo it.

4 hours ago, nixster said:

So are the base brakes and S brakes the same on the gen 2 or bigger on the S, like the gen 1?

Gen 2 Boxster and Gen 2 Boxster S/Spyder have different calipers listed in the parts catalogue as well as different size caliper pistons.