Frunk cool box recs?

SuperPaulie

Anyone got any 12v cool boxes recommendations for the front boot? Just to keep a picnic cool for a few hours and then to hold beers at the hotel, so 12/240 plug option. I'll fit a power/cig socket in the boot for it.

Be nice if it doesnt look like something my Nana used to have in 1984 as well, but looks are secondary to functionality. Much like my Nana.

Biggest challenge is it gets so hot in the frunk (and the boot too) as it si surrounded by hot stuff: rads at the front, exhaust, cats and engine at the back.  Makes it an uphill battle for anything trying to be kept cool by heat exchange.  That said a standard cool box with ice blocks once other stuff is packed around keeps things cool enough for a long distance driver into Europe.  I also insulated frunk and boot: 

I use a Halfords 24ltr one, works very well for my needs which are similar to what you describe, not sure it meets the nana look criteria though 😂

They sell a 3-pin plug adapter separately but you can use any generic adapter as long as the output is rated high enough

Here’s the links along with a pic in the frunk of my 987, as you can see there’s plenty of space for a bigger version

Cool Box Link

Adaptor Link

ueauVNY_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Like 2

Just a thought on use in a hotel…if you’re thinking of running it overnight you might find the constant whine/hum from the fan a bit annoying! Not sure if this is the same across all brands, but I guess it would be similar. 

Whatever, but 1.5 litre plastic bottle nearly full with water then left to freeze for 48h before should keep things cool enough. 

My frunk has auto cooling linked to the aircon, it is the rear that gets really warm because of the engine. 

Those coolboxes work by the Peltier effect and are not thermostatically controlled. They cool to around 10-15 degrees cooler than the surroundings. So, in a 20 C frunk you get around the 5C you get in a domestic fridge, but in a 30C frunk it would only cool to around 15C. I’ve had to turn ours off on camping trips as it froze the milk overnight when the temperature dropped.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

My frunk has auto cooling linked to the aircon, it is the rear that gets really warm because of the engine. 

Not a feature available on the 986.