Rusty nuts - what are yours like?

Photogirl

9 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Do you use your car when there's salt on the roads?

No, never.  I also avoid mud, rain, dust, and too much direct sunlight. If the car gets grubby it gets cleaned and dried to avoid contaminants building up. It's also garaged year round. 

My VW, which I drive in all sorts of conditions, has never suffered from rusty wheel bolts. It has nut covers on and the hardware underneath still looks pretty good. 

1 minute ago, JonSta said:

In that case you'd hope the aftermarket ones ought to hold up pretty well. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I think the wheel bolts on eBay look very good and would be a sensible purchase. Not sure about the centre badges but the originals didn't seem to last all that long.

14 hours ago, Photogirl said:

How are they holding up? Another contributor mentioned that his started to corrode after a couple of years. They look lovely but I'd be worried about rusting if spending that much.

Mine are 2 and a half years old and still in great condition. I have spotted the chrome coming off a few on the rear, probably due to having tyres fitted where the shop use impact drivers or simply drop the bolts on the floor. The steel underneath still looks great with no sign of corrosion, but I'm pretty sure a good metal polish would sort it if they did start corroding. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Photogirl said:

No, never.  I also avoid mud, rain, dust, and too much direct sunlight. If the car gets grubby it gets cleaned and dried to avoid contaminants building up. It's also garaged year round. 

So you basically never drive it 😂

2 hours ago, Photogirl said:

My version of this.....

Yes, always..  I'll also drive it in mud, rain, dust, and direct sunlight. If the car is inadvertently cleaned it gets made grubby again very quickly to avoid a shine from ever building up. It's also left outside all year round. 

Two equally valid approaches to Boxster ownership.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, the baron said:

So you basically never drive it 😂

I knew that was coming! 

I don't drive it near enough. I'm on a campaign to sort out all the small irritations which have built up over the years because in theory that will make me want to take it out and use it more.  Or maybe it'll turn it into even more of a garage queen 🤣

Just now, Photogirl said:

I knew that was coming! 

I don't drive it near enough. I'm on a campaign to sort out all the small irritations which have built up over the years because in theory that will make me want to take it out and use it more.  Or maybe it'll turn it into even more of a garage queen 🤣

Having been there and done that with a genuine 356 Speedster it will be the latter, better to leave it a little tatty so you don’t worry about it to much

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, the baron said:

Having been there and done that with a genuine 356 Speedster it will be the latter, better to leave it a little tatty so you don’t worry about it to much

Sound advice, and that's what I've done in the past (not actually tatty, but small scratches are usually left for a couple of years).

I seem to be going through an obsessive phase - perhaps in part to having a younger Cayman on long-term loan which has made me competitive (its flawless wheel bolts kicked off the whole thing).

Must have been a nightmare for you at times with a Speedster (not sure how I'd cope with the stress of owning something that nice).

On 8/23/2021 at 11:00 PM, edc said:

Or just use one of those sockets already linked earlier ;)

Yep, use one of these & they still mark the bolt faces slightly. I think it’s inevitable that there will be some damage with the contact points when torquing the bolts up.

• 2 years later...