Rusty nuts - what are yours like?

Photogirl

It's amazing how a simple change can completely alter the look of something. I've seen those same wheels in all silver - they give a car a very nice classic look and suit an older 986 very well. But adding the anthracite on the spokes has made them into something absolutely contemporary which would look stunning on any era of car. 

I'll confess to harbouring fantasies for fully chromed wheels, having seen them on Jay Leno's silver 986. I wouldn't be bold enough to actually do it, but I thought they looked very striking.

I paint my nuts every couple of years… 😂

Even with hammerite they mark a little tightening them back up, so I used a small paint brush & just touched up the damaged edges of the bolt after fitting.

However, I learnt something recently, line the socket with a piece of thin plastic - decent carrier bag material is ideal - this actually works & significantly reduces the damage that can be inflicted on painted wheel nuts.

13 minutes ago, Boxstercol said:

I paint my nuts every couple of years… 😂

Even with hammerite they mark a little tightening them back up, so I used a small paint brush & just touched up the damaged edges of the bolt after fitting.

However, I learnt something recently, line the socket with a piece of thin plastic - decent carrier bag material is ideal - this actually works & significantly reduces the damage that can be inflicted on painted wheel nuts.

Or just use one of those sockets already linked earlier ;)

do the wheel nut covers cause the rust? generally anything that holds moisture against metal encourages corrosion, and wheel nut covers would do just that. I've had non covered wheel nuts on other cars stay absolutely fine, but under the wheel nut covers on my boxster the nuts are terrible.

i'm also thinking of ditching any locking nuts, since they're just a cause of hassle of either being overtightened and breaking, or losing the key.

On previous cars I've never had nuts go as bad as my Porsche ones, I think they tend to rust whether you have covers on them or not. They say that putting some grease in the nut cover helps to prevent water ingress. I haven't used nut covers as yet so can't say, but perhaps others will chime in on this one.

26 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

On previous cars I've never had nuts go as bad as my Porsche ones, I think they tend to rust whether you have covers on them or not. They say that putting some grease in the nut cover helps to prevent water ingress. I haven't used nut covers as yet so can't say, but perhaps others will chime in on this one.

Nut covers look ok,I had them for a while as a temporary solution, the only problem was after a time they tend to seal themselves to the nut and the removal tool is pants so ended up using pliers which wrecked them, I found this out at he side of the road trying to change a flat, it just added to my fruition’s in he rain so I binned them all when I got home.

23 minutes ago, the baron said:

They do look very nice. Agree the price is huge. It's hard to know whether they'll pay for themselves over time versus non-titanium ones which might start to rust. Although titanium is resistant to rusting, when I had some titanium parts on my bike years ago it did oxidise quite quickly which was a bit unsightly - I was always having to polish it.

I could also do with a new set of centre caps. The OEM ones cost a lot but Design911 have aftermarket ones which look identical for far less, so I might give those a go. I'm thinking that if I give them a few layers of clear coat that should protect them. My original centre crests are looking really rough even though my car is well looked after and the wheels themselves are near mint. 

Edited by Photogirl

29 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

They do look very nice. Agree the price is huge. It's hard to know whether they'll pay for themselves over time versus non-titanium ones which might start to rust. Although titanium is resistant to rusting, when I had some titanium parts on my bike years ago it did oxidise quite quickly which was a bit unsightly - I was always having to polish it.

I could also do with a new set of centre caps. The OEM ones cost a lot but Design911 have aftermarket ones which look identical for far less, so I might give those a go. I'm thinking that if I give them a few layers of clear coat that should protect them. My original centre crests are looking really rough even though my car is well looked after and the wheels themselves are near mint. 

There's someone on here who does them and gets good feedback, can't remember his user name Mart550 or something rings a bell but doesn't show on a search. 

It does surprise me how much Porsche charge for the crested parts like wheel caps and bonnet badges which if clean and tidy represent the brand in a good light.

15 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

There's someone on here who does them and gets good feedback, can't remember his user name Mart550 or something rings a bell but doesn't show on a search. 

It does surprise me how much Porsche charge for the crested parts like wheel caps and bonnet badges which if clean and tidy represent the brand in a good light.

Yep, send @marts500 a PM for after market centre caps.

If you get the non OEM centre caps spray them with a clear lacquer first that should enhance here life.

I managed to pic some genuine boxed OEM ones on eBay for half price, otherwise I would go for the cheap copies.

Edited by the baron

Couple of points if I may............................they are bolts!!!!  (not nuts)

The sockets highlighted dont protect the bolt at all, they can protect the inside of the wheel but really do very little.

23 minutes ago, perebrine said:

QIz50Sp.jpgI bought a cheap set of plastic, chrome coloured covers for the wheel nuts, they do look good, but don't fit the locking nut.

Sandals and socks!!!!! Or blame the reflection and you were wearing suitable footwear.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, T911UK said:

Couple of points if I may............................they are bolts!!!!  (not nuts)

Indeed...

35 minutes ago, T911UK said:

The sockets highlighted dont protect the bolt at all, they can protect the inside of the wheel but really do very little.

Thought that when I looked at the links.

6 hours ago, the baron said:

Be very, very careful with Ti parts.  The way they might fail if not correctly specified and manufactured can be quite nasty.

Just now, perebrine said:

Even worse, slip on Crocs & socks lol. Only used in the garden, they're easier to slip on & off than my trainers.

Quite right.  Crocs should be worn naked (with regards to feet)...

• Haha 1