Rusty nuts - what are yours like?

Photogirl

My nuts are shameful, brown and rusty and I feel quite embarrassed by them. I don’t know why because I’ve never used harsh cleaners on my wheels and my car is garaged. 

If you have grotty nuts, what did you do about it? I’ve been looking at three options:

·        Remove, scrub off the rust and paint with something like silver Hammerite. My worry is that the process of refitting them will scrape the new paint off

·        Nut covers – I’ve got some nice chrome effect ones but I don’t want to put them over rusty nuts

·        New nuts – but will they rust? I’ve found these which look great but for all four wheels they're not cheap: Wheel Bolts and Locking Bolts Kit. Porsche 986/996/997 *DesignTek - WBOLTKIT01 | Design 911

If you have experiences of the above please do chime in – I can’t be the only one with this affliction.

Does this mean the nuts are rotten and should be replaced rather than cleaned up – how long should a set of nuts normally last? My nuts are original Porsche ones and are likely to have been on the car since it was born (23 years ago). 

Ah. As a person with red hair I have some experience. Yes they all do this. It's really only cosmetic so you could put covers over them and pretend they're fine underneath. No-one else will know. I've painted mine and they went back on OK - probably won't last.

A worse problem is the washer-type thing further down the nut. They tend to dissolve over time so if you take them off to paint them and that part is falling to bits you prob ought to be thinking about new ones. I thought the spyder performance ones looked good value. That's the parts company related to Eporsche not the boxster with the fiddly roof.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the eBay Techworlddirect ones on my car for the last 6 or 7 years. If the corrosion has set in then the collars will be split and crumbling. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, edc said:

I have the eBay Techworlddirect ones on my car for the last 6 or 7 years. If the corrosion has set in then the collars will be split and crumbling. 

Thank you very much for that - I've found these on their eBay page: 20x ALLOY WHEEL BOLTS + LOCKING SET - PORSCHE BOXSTER 986 987 981 LUG NUT -K16Pe | eBay

13 minutes ago, JonSta said:

A worse problem is the washer-type thing further down the nut. They tend to dissolve over time so if you take them off to paint them and that part is falling to bits you prob ought to be thinking about new ones. 

Good point about the washer, I hadn't thought of that. It sounds like new nuts are in order! 

Yes mine are basically the same just longer for the spacers. With hindsight I'd ditch the locking bolts and just gets full set of normal ones. 

• Like 1

I spray painted my 9 year old wheel nuts with black HT paint and it lasted about 12 months.

I then bought the tech world ones which seem to be lasting well, but the old locking wheel nuts spoiled it, so I’ve now bought another 4 normal ones and will fit them the next time I take the wheels off. 

• Like 1

I wire brush and respray mine with 2 coats of smooth silver Hammerite.  Had the wheels on and off a lot last year so needed redoing after only 18 months but hopefully this time will last longer.

• Like 1

Oooh - those bolts look gorgeous.

I can't believe I'm panting over a set of wheel nuts. 

One thing which annoys me about my wheels is that the recessed bits where the bolts sit in are showing some brown scratches down the interior's sides. Yours look so perfect, I'm feeling a bit jealous. 

I've had DesignTek chrome bolts in the past.  They looked good though they did start to show some corrosion after a couple of years.

Current car has a new set of OPC sourced Black original bolts which still look good after 3+ years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EXY said:

DID I read that correctly, someone wants to see my nuts,,,,,,

Well who am I to argue, feast your eyes on these bad boys,,,,,,,

Oh my word, I feel quite faint after looking at that photo  😛

This thread is better than I could have hoped for  😍

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

One thing which annoys me about my wheels is that the recessed bits where the bolts sit in are showing some brown scratches down the interior's sides. Yours look so perfect, I'm feeling a bit jealous. 

You need these @Photogirl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HFS-2-Inch-Metric-Protector-Impact/dp/B07FCCZ5QX/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+coated+19mm+wheel+socket&qid=1629750176&sr=8-3

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I've had DesignTek chrome bolts in the past.  They looked good though they did start to show some corrosion after a couple of years.

I think I'd be a bit annoyed if I paid that much and they had blemishes after a couple of years. 

Come to think of it, for that price I'd want my own initials monogramming on those nuts.

10 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

@EXY That's so pretty. The wheels compliment it very well indeed, it's a beauty. Whoever you sold it to must have been delighted!

I started this thread wanting improved wheel nuts, but now I'm wanting new wheels to go with them. 

Why thank you kindly, the guy that bought it only lives round the corner from me.

I think Mr. Box has converted him to the Porsche stable as he now has a Cayenne as his daily!

Any decent wheel refurbisher could recreate something similar, the secret to the sparkle (they really popped in the sun) was a light dusting of chrome/silver over the anthracite before the lacquer was applied.