Rusty nuts - what are yours like?

Photogirl

1 hour ago, map said:

Indeed...

Thought that when I looked at the links.

Be very, very careful with Ti parts.  The way they might fail if not correctly specified and manufactured can be quite nasty.

I had heard this before about Ti, what's your thoughts on stainless steel, same issue I presume, they are both very hard with little give so tend to snap or shear rather then give a little.

7 hours ago, Photogirl said:

They do look very nice. Agree the price is huge. It's hard to know whether they'll pay for themselves over time versus non-titanium ones which might start to rust. Although titanium is resistant to rusting, when I had some titanium parts on my bike years ago it did oxidise quite quickly which was a bit unsightly - I was always having to polish it.

I could also do with a new set of centre caps. The OEM ones cost a lot but Design911 have aftermarket ones which look identical for far less, so I might give those a go. I'm thinking that if I give them a few layers of clear coat that should protect them. My original centre crests are looking really rough even though my car is well looked after and the wheels themselves are near mint. 

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

There's someone on here who does them and gets good feedback, can't remember his user name Mart550 or something rings a bell but doesn't show on a search. 

It does surprise me how much Porsche charge for the crested parts like wheel caps and bonnet badges which if clean and tidy represent the brand in a good light.

altho' both those parties ignored my request!

I got two sets for less than £20 delivered off Ali Express

14 minutes ago, the baron said:

I had heard this before about Ti, what's your thoughts on stainless steel, same issue I presume, they are both very hard with little give so tend to snap or shear rather then give a little.

Had been looking at Ti studs/bolts have used it before (and there's some in my engine) but am aware of the risks of buying the wrong alloy and manufacturing process.  Spoke to the guy who has done all the suspension development on my car - he was was clear that I should use steel not Ti or Stainless.

Whatever I end up doing I will probably look at a Ceramic/Cerakote type of finish on the parts.  Who knows I might even go for a colour matched finish to my car body - Road Grime Grey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, map said:

.....- he was was clear that I should use steel not Ti or Stainless....

Correct.  Generally titanium snaps, stainless stretches (then snaps).  You need high tensile steel.

5 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

I don't think they'll fit a 986. You would want these instead if you need black: 20x BLACK WHEEL BOLTS & LOCKS - PORSCHE BOXSTER 986 987 ALLOY STUD NUTS [20Fe] | eBay

They look identical, save the locks. 

23 hours ago, Photogirl said:

They do look very nice. Agree the price is huge. It's hard to know whether they'll pay for themselves over time versus non-titanium ones which might start to rust. Although titanium is resistant to rusting, when I had some titanium parts on my bike years ago it did oxidise quite quickly which was a bit unsightly - I was always having to polish it.

I asked a fiend, anything he does not know about Titanium does not exist. 

All titanium is oxidised that is why it does not corrode. However it only oxidises on the surface above about 500C. so it depends where on the bike it is. If it is below this ther will not be any significant oxidation. Even if it changes colour a bit nothing to worry about. 
Of more concern is what is the grade of titanium. I.e. what alloy is it. This determines the mechanical performance. If it is pure titanium it is rather low strength. Most common alloy is titanium 6 aluminium 4 vanadium. 

I can ask more but can't guarantee an answer. 

• Like 1

Thank you @Darkstar, that's very helpful. On my bike the titanium parts went a kind of dull powdery white and I found the effect unsightly.  I will say it was a mountain bike not a motorbike. Back then it was common/fashionable to use small amounts of titanium here and there to minimize weight.

I have some titanium jewellery which has stayed looking as good as the day it was made.

As you say, it must be down to the grade/mix. 

29 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

Thank you @Darkstar, that's very helpful. On my bike the titanium parts went a kind of dull powdery white and I found the effect unsightly.  I will say it was a mountain bike not a motorbike. Back then it was common/fashionable to use small amounts of titanium here and there to minimize weight.

I have some titanium jewellery which has stayed looking as good as the day it was made.

As you say, it must be down to the grade/mix. 

Titanium on a mtb in the 90’s was expected, my Orange  Vit C with pace forks was a Ti frame and loads of blinghy red blue and gold Ti bolts and bits and bobs, can’t say I every noticed it changing colour or oxidisation on either the frame or the parts, sure you weren’t scammed 😂 

I think the problem with ti is not so much that it might snap as that it doesn't distort as you tighten it. Although only microscopically the thread in nuts and bolts distorts as you apply torque which is how they stay tight. If the thread doesn't distort the whole thing can loosen - especially in a use like a wheel nut. So me I wouldn't bother. 

Edited by JonSta
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, the baron said:

Titanium on a mtb in the 90’s was expected, my Orange  Vit C with pace forks was a Ti frame and loads of blinghy red blue and gold Ti bolts and bits and bobs, can’t say I every noticed it changing colour or oxidisation on either the frame or the parts, sure you weren’t scammed 😂 

I assure you my mountain bike was every bit as blingy and tacky as yours 😆.  But some of the plainer titanium parts (the small bits) did go very dull, but could be buffed back.

3 hours ago, the baron said:

I've got a set of those which I bought from another BoXa member. Use them in summer and keep my crappy old OEM bolts for winter 

2 hours ago, red rocket said:

I've got a set of those which I bought from another BoXa member. Use them in summer and keep my crappy old OEM bolts for winter 

Love the OCD winter and summer bolts 😂

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

I'm pretty sure they are the ones I bought for my 987.1, they are shiny 😎

How are they holding up? Another contributor mentioned that his started to corrode after a couple of years. They look lovely but I'd be worried about rusting if spending that much.

20 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

How are they holding up? Another contributor mentioned that his started to corrode after a couple of years. They look lovely but I'd be worried about rusting if spending that much.

I bought these in 2016 as I recall.  After a couple of years there was a little corrosion showing which would polish off I think but potentially marr the coating...

I'm on black OEM bolts now.

• Like 1