Porsche's new PCCM Apple CarPlay Units..........

michelin

Superb to see Porsche is now doing an update to some of its older head units. I wonder when our dreaded CDR 31 will get an update!

I've been toying between a new Alpine head unit and the Joyeauto for some time but really want to keep the OEM look and also do not fancy taking my CDR 31 apart. This maybe a solution but as per usual........it won't be cheap............

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really interested in the PCCM Plus for 997/987.  Actually, I'm quite happy with the PCM 2.1 other than I can't stream music from my phone to the stereo.

Reading up on people's experiences with the 986 varient it hasn't been without issues - bugs, as well as being locked into the dealer network for mapping and software updates.  I wonder if a grey market will appear for this content as it did for the PCM update discs.  Hopefully.

I'd also like to see a demonstration too, prior to purchase - something that's unlikley to be possible other than via YouTube reviews.  My local OPC only seem interested in selling 100k+ cars.

Announcement was seen here, although I've not seen anything official from Porsche;

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/porsche-officially-embraces-restomod-craze/44142

"Less drastic but no less useful is the expanded rollout of digital infotainment technology to fit older models as recent as the 997, with that variant's PCCM system due for launch in 2022 in response to demand."

Porsche Classic Site for PCCM (currenty 9x6) is here;

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/pccm/

Edited by Skidd

I would bet that that unit for the 9x7 will be internally identical to the 9x6 flavours - perhaps updated software for whatever integration there are. 

as to mapping. Given it’s carplay and android auto I would imagine most will just use phone apps.  But from what I read the internal nav is actually tomtom abs maps are on sale from OPC for approx 80 quid (replacement sd card ) 

if they keep the maps current I don’t mind a diy update once a year for 80 quid. 

but all guesswork until they announce.