air bag light on , what scanner to buy

mortzz

ok for no reason today my 1999 986 air bag light came on , so I've got an old Autel Maxscan that i used for my VW and Audi , it will connect with OBD and says its connected but reads no faults, so evidently wont read it, it has read it in the past when i had a coil pack issue, so what do people recommend for a scanner, so they Foxwell NT530 comes up as a good Porsche scanner   

Thanks 

Andy

iCarsoft V1.0 POR will clear air bag codes and ABS as well as all the usual OBD functions, about £100.  Depends if that is all you want to do on how much to spend.  Remember OBD is for engine/emissions related only generally speaking.

coil packs and o2 sensors all throw "standard" codes - Typically P (Powertrain) codes - and any reader will read them, and turn off the CEL if lit

Airbag and ABS apparently throw "SRS" codes - you need one of those "smarter" scanners.

The icarsoft one mentioned above should fit the bill - but others without porsche smarts, but with the SRS stuff would also work (amazon prime "eval" ? ) if you cant find someone localish with a flavour that would work

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

iCarsoft V1.0 POR will clear air bag codes and ABS as well as all the usual OBD functions, about £100.  Depends if that is all you want to do on how much to spend.  Remember OBD is for engine/emissions related only generally speaking.

Looking at the information on that scanner it states that it will not clear 986 air bag codes.. 

19 minutes ago, mortzz said:

Looking at the information on that scanner it states that it will not clear 986 air bag codes.. 

I have an old one at the back of the drawer and as you say, I’m 99.9% certain that the Icar soft ones do not have the ability to talk with the air bag system.

As above, where are you based as a few have Durametric Pro and will help you out 👍🏻

According to their website - the icarsoft por 1 does support airbag.... And you will likely get some more porsche "smarts" - like service reminder resets and abs bleed etc.

ICARSOFT POR V1.0 FEATURES FOR PORSCHE

• iCarsoft POR V1.0 reads and clears trouble codes on most of the electronic systems such as engine, transmission, ABS, airbag etc.

Youtube demo of one being used to diagnose and turn off airbag light 

https://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/list_of_all_auto_diagnostic_tools_273181-z=960089&p=131248.cfm#content_item_131248

£99 quid from them....

Hope this sequence of images solves the matter, taken in my 2000 986S with iCarsoft POR V1.0 just now.  OK I don't ahve an active airbag fault to prove I can clear it but this shows selection for the 986 option, the module list, the airbag menu with clear option on the menu, the read result.  I can also confirm it read and diagnosed correctly which wheel for an ABS sensor fault a couple of years ago.

986 Menu

8dTf9uX.jpg 

Manual scan module menu

jofcR3J.jpg 

Airbag menu

YeIcu0X.jpg 

Read result

yYt79g5.jpg