Roof groaning on operation

Boxsum

Operation of roof has been a bit noisy for a while now and was just assuming it needed a good grease up so was happy to leave it to next year when serviced. 
But tonight it was very noisy/groaning and when fully shut roof light on dash stayed on, opened it a tiny bit as was a bit worried about opening it fully just incase I heard a bang and closed again and dash light went out.

Anyone any ideas why so groaning and juddery before I have a quick look tomorrow? 

cheers 

11 hours ago, Pinewood said:

the bang usually indicates one of the sacrificial nylon shoulders has broken. Take a closer look and grease it all up before replacing the shoulder, or it will snap again

What your looking for here is the little plastic ball joint that pops off and creates that bang, if the arm has come off be careful opening and closing as you could puncture the polystyrene drip tray which will cause no end of issues if it leaks and is a bugger to replace, I replaced mine a while ago, never again.

I think the OP was fearful of hearing a bang rather than actually hearing one. 

Start with the simplest DIY. Clean (suggest using WD40, a toothbrush and rag) then lubricated the runners (suggest using white grease) and all other moving parts (suggest using a light oil). 

If that doesn't sort it then it points to the motor and 'cables', which are beyond my knowledge.

8 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Roof transmission ? 

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair.htm

Get a video of the issue and post the link on here. Might help folks to help you further.

Ok Thankyou 

Just to say after a little fiddling managed to get it to move into service position, very noisy at that, all rods correct but did notice when I lowered it back down the clamshell on the drivers side is loose as you can move it up and down with your fingers in the panel gap so assuming it could be the cables? 
Thankyou