Jay Emm likes our cars (981S)

tony_zx9r

He's just a guy that started performing car reviews online. He's done so many now he's built up quite a big following. The angles he takes tend to be geared towards views, hence the link to the 911 in the title.

I guess I'm glad he took this angle otherwise I would be writing a very long winded grumpy comment on his channel 😂

11 minutes ago, Afrikaner said:

Yep the car is mine. Reading some of the comments on YouTube is entertaining.............best one so far "nice car do they make one for men"

Reply " why do you want one for your husband" 

The YouTube comments section is a dark and very, very odd place. 

15 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

bit of a moaner if you followed a previous thread (Ferrari? p*ssed him off as he felt they didnt value him IIRC, or it might have been Maclaren)

aaahhhh, wondered if he might be someone important or might have some influence in the automotive world - turns out hes not, so no sleep lost 😜

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Required said:

Curiously condescending, considering how much he purported to like the Boxster.

"It's not a fast car" - compared with what? 

On paper maybe not but out on the road they really do hold their own. I enjoy being the underdog on runs because it always surprises people. A good friend of mine has a 991 turbo. You do see how it pulls a gap out of a corner, it can get the power down sooner and the torque means it almost catapults away from you, but when the 3.4 is in the zone it really does pull quite well. It really doesn't feel like it has 200bhp+ more Shorter ratios would have been nice mind.

3 hours ago, daz05 said:

On paper maybe not but out on the road they really do hold their own. I enjoy being the underdog on runs because it always surprises people. A good friend of mine has a 991 turbo. You do see how it pulls a gap out of a corner, it can get the power down sooner and the torque means it almost catapults away from you, but when the 3.4 is in the zone it really does pull quite well. It really doesn't feel like it has 200bhp+ more Shorter ratios would have been nice mind.

Sure I read that RPM technic do a diff mod if you want lower gearing.

23 hours ago, daz05 said:

I’m surprised my lowly 2.7 can even make it up a slight slope.  It’s soooo slow.

On a track maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

There’s a very, very specified car for sale at the minute, but has over 80k miles on it. 

This is all going to be purely personal preference, but would a higher mileage car be trouble to sell on? If I kept it two to three years, it’d be around the 100k mark by the time I’m ‘done’. Problematic you think to shift? I don’t mind the miles but I am probably in the minority. 

For comparison 40k less miles, same spec, is £8k more.

The other thing I always have in the back of my mind is if new car supply goes back to normal our currently overheated market might see some savage depreciation.  

Edited by kharma45

I wouldn't, just pay more upfront and you'll get it back but I don't see a big problem with it as the cars seem to be capable of high mileage.

However I'd expect a significant discount on market price for a car with 80k miles on it. Needs to be sub 27/28k really. You will always sell it on but the price has to reflect the miles otherwise why wouldn't you just spend more at the outset.

Undoubtedly prices will fall but I don't see them tumbling too far. Big gap price wise to the 718 4.0l and limited availability so these are the closest alternative.

Edited by daz05

21 hours ago, daz05 said:

I wouldn't, just pay more upfront and you'll get it back but I don't see a big problem with it as the cars seem to be capable of high mileage.

However I'd expect a significant discount on market price for a car with 80k miles on it. Needs to be sub 27/28k really. You will always sell it on but the price has to reflect the miles otherwise why wouldn't you just spend more at the outset.

Undoubtedly prices will fall but I don't see them tumbling too far. Big gap price wise to the 718 4.0l and limited availability so these are the closest alternative.

It’s not far from that price bracket. Sitting at £29k. Spec list is impressive with heated and cooled seats, PASM, PSE, PTV, Sports Chrono, Sports Plus memory seats. It looks to have pretty much everything bar PCCB. It won’t take much figuring out which car it is on AT. 

4 hours ago, JonSta said:

Higher mileage cars do tend to 'stick' at this price level. Whether that's justified or not dunno. There are some that have been for sale for ever.

The guy doing this video is a dork.

This is only up 3 days so no chance of any cheekier offers yet in line with daz05’s pricing. AT’s pricing tool has it just over £27k for a private buyer but it does have a lot of desirable options. 

16 hours ago, daz05 said:

At 29k I think you can get better value for money elsewhere. The options that you will use and enjoy are the only ones that are important.

There is better value in terms of price:miles but a lot in the low to mid 30s seem to have, for what I am after, something I’m not keen on like the red interior, or no PASM. 

I’ll keep my eyes peeled and see what crops up over the next few months. Hopefully snag something over the winter when demand isn’t as high for a cabrio. Cheers for the input.